Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Gwennie17

Comments

• The few posts I've seen from Ron have a big brother feel to them. Not good advice, but stop what you are doing.

I got this off the FAQ that was referenced by TamTam.

Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials.

Because one member e-mails a copy of a Private message to you doesn't mean the message stops being private. To me this is a pretty big stretch to think a 3rd party, (the mods), can or should intervene. If Private e-mail messages are subject to this type of action then it really needs to be CLEARLY spelled out in your rules section. Maybe I missed something here but I don't think so.

One has to wonder what for use in other company materials is referring to. My mind doesn't have to wonder to hard to have a pretty good idea.

Thanks to TamTam for trying to explain why some things were done even though they seemed to me to be somewhat buried.

I am going to be very careful from now on and most probably will driff away from this site. It seems to have way more people looking for advice then providing it.

I would hope that Gwennie17's lawyer husband takes a look at what took place to make sure it was above board.

Thanks to the mods for trying to do your best but I think you have silenced a very good source of information.

David
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I am so very sad, Gwennie helped me get through 5 of the toughest months of my life.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • advertisement
  • Why would someone feel the need to forward a PM to a moderator?? If I don't like something that is sent to me, I simply delete it. If banning Gwennie was indeed due to a PM, that is really messed up for someone to basically "tattle" on someone.

This is the INTERNET people! There is a lot of information out here, and sometimes, too much. What you choose to do with all of this information is up to you.

Sticks and stones, sticks and stones. I just don't understand how our society as a whole has become so ultra sensitive. Just let it roll.
  • I have many times wrote answers to posts, only to read them and realize that I was giving medical advise. I hit the delete button and started over before they were posted.

However, I think Gwennie was very particular in stating that she was not a health professional. Her answers to my posts were very helpful. Did I make a decision based on only what she said? Of course not. This is a forum not a doctors office.

I'm quite sure that most would agree that we are all smart enough to realize that no one on this forum is knowledgeable enough to give them definite medical advise.

So were the mods right to ban Gwennie? Probably but I think we will all miss her and second guess our own posts from now on.

I know I'll miss her here and hopefully she's at least reading our posts.
    Gary
  • its done and over with. let it go and move on ppl. the drama is old and all the why,s and what ifs arent going to change what happen. if all else fails call your congressman they are good with drama.
  • advertisement
  • I have been a member of SH since September 2006, when I came here looking for the same support that we hope members are getting today. As was stated earlier, there are two parts to this website--the doctor written-peer reviewed articles for educational purposes, and the community forums which we are participating on for encouragement and support.

The forums can be used to share things we have learned based on our own medical experiences. We can reach out to a newcomer who may be just beginning their spine journey, and let that newcomer know that we are here for them to talk to at any time, we understand what he/she may be going through. We can give pointers based on what we did. We can ease their fears. We can encourage them to call their doctors when something doesn't seem right. We can give tips on things to help us be comfortable, or things to avoid that will cause extra pain. That is a beautiful thing.

However, this place becomes a danger when seemingly factual information is given out, pointing to certain conditions or illnesses where no diagnosis has yet been made by a qualified medical professional. Or when a well meaning member gives an incorrect explanation of a certain condition. Or when a helpful member incorrectly interprets an MRI. Or even when that same member may correctly interpret an MRI. These types of things should be left to our medical professionals who treat us.

How many of you have had your doctor say "Stay off the internet!" It is because there is a potential to gain false information that can be detrimental to your recovery. Do some research for factual information, starting right here on SH. But when communicating with others on the message boards, please remember that we all patients just like you, and relying on seemingly harmless information gleaned here can be dangerous to you. I have seen different members describe stenosis in several different ways--none of which were completely accurate. But to the member reading the description, he thought it was correct. This is just one example of how easily it is to get incorrect information here.

Monitoring this type of behavior is the biggest job we on the administrative team have right now. We aren't trying to pick on anyone or play big brother. We love spine-health and the members here, and we are trying to keep this place running smoothly. We take it seriously, and feel like each of you deserve a safe place to come.

On the subject of reading PMs, I don't know how all of the concern over this came about. I will assure you that we authority members have no access to PMs, and they are meant to be private messages shared between the writer and the recipient. The only time I have ever seen any part of a private message, was when it was reported by the recipient and opened for discussion among the administrative team to determine the best way to handle the situation. I know of NO pms that have been recently reported or read by any of us. When PMs have been reported previously, it was typically someone bullying another member, or something along those lines. So please be assured that your messages are indeed private, unless you are doing something that gets reported.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post.

Cindy

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,587
    I would like to clear up a few points.

1 - Moderators, Administrators, etc have no access to monitor or read member Private Messages. Poking around and even trying to tamper with any members profile and/or date is a serious offense. If anyone on this team attempted that, they would be removed from this site.

2 - Spine-Health is a privately own company. It was founded by a brother/sister team and has continued to grow over the years. The staff consisted of the President, Developers, Technical Writers.

3 - This site can be looked as being divided into two major sessions. The Main site and the Forum side. The main site is where all the technical and medical articles, journals, videos are stored and made available to the member community. Each item is reviewed by a medical staff to ensure accuracy.
    The Forum side is where we, the members reside. We have access to the main site, but the main purpose of the forums is to provide an environment where members can interchange ideas, suggestions, etc. At many times, the forum side has become a 'support group' for many people. Additionaly , we provide an online CHAT facility which is used frequently.

4 - Managing and Monitoring the FORUMS is done by volunteers. Everyone on my team are volunteers. I also volunteer my time here. Selection to this team is done generally by the site owners.

5 - Corrective actions, ie Banning. We have a policy in which we send formal warnings to members who violate forum rules. Most of the time those violations are pretty black and white (solicitation,threats, mis-representing facts , attempting to portray another member. A member is allowed 3 warnings and then they are banned. Whenever we send a formal warning to a member, we specifically state this. Over the past 2 or so years, I would say that about 90$ of members that receive the first warning, stop what they were doing and no longer conduct themselves in a manner to receive another warning. Respecting the privacy of these members, we do not publicly announce the warning, who received it and why.
    Rarely do we have situations where people ignore the warning. I believe I have never had to give more than 2 warnings to one member for their behavior

6 - I have respect for Gwennie and what she has brought to this site. She has been a valuable asset and has helped many people. However there are rules, rules that everyone has to follow. That includes myself and anyone else on the Moderator/Authority team.

Now, I know by reading some of these posts, people believe I am the Big-Brother or as stated 'Power-Hungry'. I feel it would be counter productive to defend myself for those accounts. Instead, I rest on my actions, my posts, my help I have given people over the years. Some people may appreciate that, while others do not. Honestly, I am not in this position for a popularity role, I am here on behalf of the Spine-Health owners to ensure that the forum side of this site runs smoothly and that problems are addressed. I discuss any banning with the owners, so they are fully aware of my actions.

I hope we can all move on with this. We have over 11,000 members from all over the world that log in to this site seeking help.

Thank you

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I have a problem with someone that NEVER posted to this site, coming on suddenly and telling posters to move on. This site and it's members have formed ties and bonds. It is a discussion site. IF YOU have NOTHING to add, then please by all means, take your own suggestion and MOVE on!! But if we wish to discuss this ad nauseum, we will until the admin or mods tell us to stop or close this forum.

Thanks,
    T.
  • Trasee said:
    I have a problem with someone that NEVER posted to this site, coming on suddenly and telling posters to move on. This site and it's members have formed ties and bonds. It is a discussion site. IF YOU have NOTHING to add, then please by all means, take your own suggestion and MOVE on!! But if we wish to discuss this ad nauseum, we will until the admin or mods tell us to stop or close this forum.

Thanks,
    T.
    T...

Couldn't have said it better girl friend!!! By the way, my response to this is under "Banning"...Be well all. *hug*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Was the option of a suspension from the site contemplated? Would this drive home the significance of the rules broken especially when the member spent a large amount of time on the site?

Marianne
advertisement