Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ACDF surgery

Lela1122LLela1122 Posts: 119
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, I have finally made a decision about surgery, I am going to do it!!, I will have an acdf with 2 levels done at c4/5 and c5/6, I just cant function anymore, my life is either laying down with a heating pad or sitting in my chair. I can hardly work, just going to the grocery store and thinking of carrying in groceries with my one good arm makes me want to cry. I am only 44 and I decided I cant live like this anymore!!! I called my surgeon to schedule and also called for my second opinion appt with an orthopedic surgeon in town for my own peace of mind and insurance. I think I am making the right decision, I feel like the discs in my neck are bone on bone and it hurts like hell!! Pain pills do nothing but take the edge off.,Thanks for all your support, I will let you know as I get closer, Lela
advertisement

Comments

• I know what it means to wait to see if it gets better. I'm glad you're getting another opinion also. Keep us posted to when your surgery is. I wish you feel better after surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Wishing you the best as you have your second opinion, and if needed, your third!

Before I had my first lumbar surgery, I had 4-5 opinions trying to make sure I was doing the right thing and finding the medical team that was the best fit for me!

No one but you can make the decision, but I think we know when the time has come.

For me too, I had slowly given up everything that made me "me"!

We are all here to help you all you prepare, by keeping you company, answering questions and giving an ear when you need to vent!

As you prepare, there is a thread re recommended items to have before surgery. Most of it is for lumbar surgeries, but there are things such as bendy straws, reachers, foam wedges, etc that come in handy after a cervical fusion!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Shari
  • advertisement
  • Lela,

On my first fusion, I put it off for over 2 years, and like you got to the point that quality of life and day to day pain was enough! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers along with sending you positive energy. I hope you find much relief when you get on the other side!!! Support *hug*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • had all the opinions, and also am a one arm bandit. ive been through this mill already with my back. so when the neurosurgeon said needs surgery, i jumped on it and got everything done for it asap. my back was a long and arduous journey that cost me way too much in waiting. i am now 6 days out from the procedure and crapping my pants, lol thats how it was for my back surgery also. think ill be shaking in my boots till i wake up and they tell me all went well...god willing. when your quality of life is such that you dont feel you are alive anymore, thats the time to take action. lifes too short to procrastinate. good luck and i hope all will be well, and god bless!
  • Thanks for all your GOOD thoughts "hugs" and prayers!! I talked with my surgeons office today and I am scheduled for June 8th at 11 am. My neurologist suggested a mri with contrast for my shoulder just to make sure there is no impingement there. I said okay, I also called him this morning and said can you go ahead and add a regular cevical mri to that? I feel changes in there and I just want to know if there are and if there are what we are dealing with. I t helps all of us. I feel like my head could roll right off my shoulders and I go round the house wimpering like a hurt puppy dog!!! no good! Thanks all keep you posted, Lela
  • advertisement
  • johnro42 said:
    had all the opinions, and also am a one arm bandit. ive been through this mill already with my back. so when the neurosurgeon said needs surgery, i jumped on it and got everything done for it asap. my back was a long and arduous journey that cost me way too much in waiting. i am now 6 days out from the procedure and crapping my pants, lol thats how it was for my back surgery also. think ill be shaking in my boots till i wake up and they tell me all went well...god willing. when your quality of life is such that you dont feel you are alive anymore, thats the time to take action. lifes too short to procrastinate. good luck and i hope all will be well, and god bless!
    Howdy John,

I was pretty much the same when offered surgery for my C6/7! The fear (doctor) that there would be permanent damage to the nerves if I didn't do it fast, but little did we know, the damage happened when the disk went! Oh well... More importantly, I soooo can relate to your last in your post! "...quality of life is such..." So true, so true! I hope your surgery brings you much relief! Please let us all know how it goes!! *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • Lela,

So happy to see this is progressing! I am equally glad to see another MRI is being added to cover the neck - best to have up to date pics for the surgery!!! We are here for ya if you need to talk! Still sending positive energy your way!!! :)

Brenda
advertisement