Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

June surgeries

tonyanwisconsinttonyanwisconsin Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am not sure what happened to the threads we use to have so people having surgery during the month could all post in the same spot. So I decided to start one.
I am not having surgery in June..thank god..lol.
I know it was nice to have 1 thread when I had my surgery to post on. We all got to chat with each other and compare notes so to speak. It was nice.
So anyone having surgery in the month of June feel free to post what you are having done and when.

;)
Tonya
advertisement

Comments

• Good job Tonya for creating this thread! I found it so helpful that I took my laptop to the hospital!

It was amazing to have such unconditional support!

AND, I now have some amazing new friends!

I am often here more than FB! :)

Thanks again Tonya for lovingly setting this up for others! :)
  • Anyone having surgery in June, this is a great way to get to know people who will be in a very similar situation to you.
    The emotional support you will get from sharing with someone going through the same thing, is immense.

I wish anyone having spinal surgery in June the very best and hope that you will soon be on the way to full recovery and a better life. :-)
  • advertisement
  • Good luck to all the June Surgery folks.

p.s. I spoke to Gwennie and she had a good pre meeting with her doctor and is going in on June 1...keep her in your thoughts!

I know there were a few other people I spoke to that at least had tentative June dates scheduled.

I wanted to wish you all well and let you know I'll check here to support you as best I can!
  • Hi Everyone,

I'll be having a 3 level posterior fusion on L3, L4, L5. I'm nervous and it isn't even June yet.
  • The way I feel today I wish I was having surgery in June. Is it just me or does there seem to be a huge drop in the number of surgeries? back in the winter there was always someone having surgery. I wonder if this is due to the season or health care changes. Any thoughts?
  • advertisement
  • Hi there Mindy - good luck! I know it's a slow month for surgery but it just means you'll get more of my good vibes. Try to enjoy the next few weeks as best you can.

Kris-NY....yeah, I noticed the drop off. Not sure if people do 'better' in the warmer weather and try to use walking and what not. I also suspect it's the healthcare changes that many companies instilled on people. But who knows. Maybe doctors are being more cautious about operating or maybe it's getting hot so no urgent surgeries.

Just quiet.
  • I'll be having a 3-level lumbar laminectomy/discectomy with instrumentation a week from Monday. I was just (!) having leg weakness, urge incontinence tingling/pain/numbness in my butt, both legs and also my upper back, arms and hands. Yesterday and today I feel as if I've seriously thrown something out of wack in my lower back so have been lying in bed getting to know my heating pad. And that's just mainly the lumbar stuff ;) My surgeon confirmed that I probably need posterior fixation of my cervical spine, since I have an incomplete fusion there and have a lot of pain and dysfunction. We're going to try a spinal cord stimulator soon to see if it helps with the mess that is my thoracic spine.

I'm on 300 mg per day of Lyrica, which does help with my hands and lower legs, but nothing on earth seems to help with my butt and ischial tuberosity ("sitz bones") crazy-making pain. I've recently increased my Cymbalta dose from 30 mg to 60 mg per day, and it's my impression that it is helping with some of the nerve pain. (It's also killing my appetite at the moment, so I hope that keeps up.)

I think it helps to have a positive outlook and realistic expectations. Know everything you can about your condition and the surgery you need (I'm a surgical nurse, so that helps) and know that a lot of your success will come from you. Take good care of yourself, both physically and emotionally. (I just about cry when I read so many desparate posts on this site.)

For me, my pets have been therapeutic. We recently adopted a couple of dogs. Oh, and a couple more cats (3 total). >:D< I love 'em dearly; they make me laugh when I'm feeling down and realize that it's not always about me and my sad sack back.
  • Baby Bubbles- Cymbalta, I noticed that it seems to take away my food cravings also. Unlike Lyrica which made me hungry as a wolf. i'm taking 120mg now for 2 weeks. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I got allot of encouragement from your post. I didn't realize that my "urge" with my bladder could be related to my back. I did have an infection but that cleared and I still have the"urge". I'll talk to my doctor. Yes, I am realizing back surgery is major surgery. It's the one kind I've always feared, but I also don't want to live the rest of my life in this much pain and hardly able to get around.
  • My surgery is scheduled for June 11--an XLIF and PLIF with hardware removal and then adding new hardware from s1-L3.

I am getting quite anxious so its nice to have the support from this forum.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!
    Becca
advertisement