Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

June surgeries

Comments

• Your turn too!

Hope that your hardware removal goes well. I believe that it is usually an easier surgery than the original TLIF. Once you are over the surgery, hopefully you will feel much improved.

Do let us know how it goes, when you can. We'll be waiting for some good news. :-)

• At last the date for your surgery has arrived!
    Hope that you have had a calm but good day today and that you feel ready for your surgery.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and hope that all goes well and that you will feel the benefit when you wake up and that the surgery pain will be well controlled. :-)

As this is your 4th surgery, you know what to expect and will know the preparations that are needed to help you during your recovery.

Once you are able to post again, do let us know how you are doing. We'll be here waiting to hear from you. :D
  • advertisement
  • jellyhall said:
    AZmikey and texastiger (Becca). You are both having big surgeries today.
    I'll say a prayer for you, that all will go well and that you will wake up with good pain control.

Once on this side of surgery, you can experience the wonderful relief that it is done, and then start along the recovery journey.

Let us know when you can, how you are getting on and how it all went. :-)

We are here to support you through the long recovery. Remember to follow your surgeon's advice and allow your body to rest and heal.

Well, just getting to posting. I'll put a recap together for everyone, and thanks for all the well wishes.

I had the surgery on the 11th, was to be at 11am, ended up going into the surgery room at about 1:30, so it was a long anxious morning. Scheduled for about four hours, lamenectomy with L5/S1 fusion with hardware and cage.

I came to in the recovery around 6:30, feeling extremely cold, lots of shakes, some nausea and to be honest, not much pain, but I couldn't move. Moved to the room around 8pm and began my first night in an uncomfortable bed with lots of night sweats, shakes and that infamous pain button. They didn't get me up out of bed until around 3 the next day, and I have to say..... that was a weird event. Tough to even lift a foot, but I managed a trip around the nurses station. Terrible heartburn and stomach pains all night, leading into the 13th. I have a past history of Chrohn's, so they brought in the internal medicine doctors, took me off the pump, and on to percocet. Still not much relief to the stomach and feeling loopy. By Monday the 14th, I was to be heading home, but now I was unable to drink more than a sip of water, yet alone eat. Changed to Vicodin and began some aggressive treatment for the stomach/esophogus. Bottom line, i was to be in for 3 nights, I stayed 5 and went home on my birthday, Wednesday the 16th.

Since being home, I have made great progress. I can get around the house without a walker as of yesterday, but prefer to use it outside and when I go for my walks. I am now off of pain meds altogether as of yesterday, but take a muscle relaxant at bedtime. I get tired easy and am very bored. Now that I am off the meds, at least I can focus on the PC or a book. It's hard to get a lengthy walk in, as it's 112 degrees in the desert, so I make my wife take me to the mall or even a SuperTarget where it is cool. The best news of all..... when I lay down at night, I can feel my toes, my feet aren't numb, my legs are not on fire, and I don't feel like crying. I'm hopeful this means things were a success.

Thanks to everyone for sharing stories, as they helped me in my preparation and helping to focus on the little things.

Nap time now.

Mike
  • Well, just getting to posting. I'll put a recap together for everyone, and thanks for all the well wishes.

I had the surgery on the 11th, was to be at 11am, ended up going into the surgery room at about 1:30, so it was a long anxious morning. Scheduled for about four hours, lamenectomy with L5/S1 fusion with hardware and cage.

I came to in the recovery around 6:30, feeling extremely cold, lots of shakes, some nausea and to be honest, not much pain, but I couldn't move. Moved to the room around 8pm and began my first night in an uncomfortable bed with lots of night sweats, shakes and that infamous pain button. They didn't get me up out of bed until around 3 the next day, and I have to say..... that was a weird event. Tough to even lift a foot, but I managed a trip around the nurses station. Terrible heartburn and stomach pains all night, leading into the 13th. I have a past history of Chrohn's, so they brought in the internal medicine doctors, took me off the pump, and on to percocet. Still not much relief to the stomach and feeling loopy. By Monday the 14th, I was to be heading home, but now I was unable to drink more than a sip of water, yet alone eat. Changed to Vicodin and began some aggressive treatment for the stomach/esophogus. Bottom line, i was to be in for 3 nights, I stayed 5 and went home on my birthday, Wednesday the 16th.

Since being home, I have made great progress. I can get around the house without a walker as of yesterday, but prefer to use it outside and when I go for my walks. I am now off of pain meds altogether as of yesterday, but take a muscle relaxant at bedtime. I get tired easy and am very bored. Now that I am off the meds, at least I can focus on the PC or a book. It's hard to get a lengthy walk in, as it's 112 degrees in the desert, so I make my wife take me to the mall or even a SuperTarget where it is cool. The best news of all..... when I lay down at night, I can feel my toes, my feet aren't numb, my legs are not on fire, and I don't feel like crying. I'm hopeful this means things were a success.

Thanks to everyone for sharing stories, as they helped me in my preparation and helping to focus on the little things.

Nap time now.

Mike
  • Thanks Jellyhall and others! I'm ready for surgery tomorrow- especially since it was delayed!! My partner has rearranged furniture and gotten all my regular supplies. He's been through all four of these with me, so he has been well trained! I will update the forum once I can, and thanks for your thoughts, prayers and positive energy! Going to dinner with my partner and close friends tonight, and then off to get some sleep! Until next time.......take care of yourselves!
    Shane in SC
    Lumbar laminectomy 2005
    ACDF 2006
    Thoracic discectomy 2008
    Lumbar discectomy 6/2010 & rods and screws due to reherniation-8/2010
    2/14---new cervical pain with radiculopathy--both arms
  • advertisement

• Welcome over to this side of surgery :-)

It sounds like your surgery has been successful and that you are recovering well.
    Keep it up! :D

Thinking and praying for you SCtigger
    Hope that all is going well.
    We're here waiting to hear how you get on. :D
  • JellyHall...you are a wonderful cheerleader!

I am about 5 months out of my revision MicroD and continue to slowly improve. Obviously, life wants my recovery to move faster so I've been swamped with work and family and what not. As a result, I don't visit daily. I only stop by here a few times a week for a short bit.

But, every time I do...you are there!
    It's really amazing to know that this board offers such great support and the "baton" can pass from person to person on the support.

I just want to say it's awesome that you are here for folks, just as others were here for us.

Things do get better...because of people like you offering support and comfort.

Thank you.

• I know that I got such great support from others before and just after my surgery. Now it is my turn to pay back by supporting others. I am not able to return to work until September, so I have a lot of time on my hands and come here everyday.

I have made some really good friends here, who have been a great support. :-) Thank you to you all.

I know that you used to be a regular contributor to support for people too. Now you are getting back to your life, and time becomes more difficult.

That day will come for me too. Then it will be someone elses turn to take up the baton. :D

Hope everyone is having a good day.

• I'm thinking of you as tomorrow is your day for surgery. I hope that you are feeling fairly calm and peaceful today and that you are managing to have a good day and spoil yourself.

I hope that your surgery goes well! I'll be thinking of you and your surgical team and that all goes well.
    Trusting that you will wake up with good pain control and the wonderful relief that we all feel once the surgery is over. :-)

Make sure you follow all the restrictions and be a good patient. Get plenty of rest and take those regular short walks. They really do help. :D

We'll be waiting to hear how you are doing, once you are able to come back and tell us.
    Looking forward to hearing from you. :D
advertisement