Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Two level discectomy/fusion neck

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I just had a 5 lvl lumbar laminectomy 2 1/2 weeks ago. Sometime around the 1st of this next yr I will be having a two level discectomy fusion in my neck.

The most I've had so far was a two level laminectomy on my neck about a yr and a half ago. That did not alleviate any of my pain in my arms.

I have a different neurosurgeon who will do my neck surgery than the one who did my laminectomy on my neck a yr and a h alf ago. This surgeon works out of the hospital my wife works at in medical records. The hospital waived the 20 percent I'd normally have to pay for my hospital stay because she works there.

This surgeon will be putting in titanium plate and screws. He will be using bone marrow from my hip and bone from a bone bank.

My concerns are I have heard after this surgery the patient often feels like they have a golf ball in their throat for a time. I am concerned about being able to swallow normally.

Can others who have had this surgery share their experience with me? It would be most appreciated.

I'm on Social Security Disability. My Medicare kicks in in November of this year. That will help also when I have this done. I'm waiting til the New Year so I can enjoy the food on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• I just had the surgery using donor bone grafts and had some very minimal swallowing issues for a couple days. I know some people report a harder time but my NS said in reality it is less than 15% who have swallowing issues. My neck felt great. I didn't need a brace much (I think I used it in the car 2 or 3 times only)

Good luck.

Julie
  • I had a 3-lvl ACDF and my throat issues were relatively minimal. I had a sore throat, but not many problems swallowing. It seemed to come and go (some days better than others), but I was never confined to liquids due to throat issues.

My worst problem was with my voice. It was raspy for quite a while (my hubby thought it was sexy - men /:) ) and sore for a few weeks. I like the percentage Julie put out there - it seems to fit with the members here who've had ACDFs.

Good luck and I hope you're recovering well from your lumbar surgery.

Cath
  • advertisement
  • JulieA said:
    I know some people report a harder time but my NS said in reality it is less than 15% who have swallowing issues. My neck felt great. I didn't need a brace much (I think I used it in the car 2 or 3 times only)

Good luck.

Julie
    Thank you, Julie. That is very encouraging. My surgeon has a very high reputation with his patients. I have full confidence in him. Now, with this percentage you put up it makes me much more comfortable.

Greyeagle
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033
    hey Ken,
    Like Cath I had a 3 level c-spine fusion back in 2007 and I had minimal discomfort swallowing food for a very short time. Just reviewed the fusion last week fom the results of a myelogram and the results were textbook.
    That makes me feel even better now, hope you have the same positive results Ken and all others out there that have the surgery.
    Take care,
    Ranger
  • Ranger said:
    hey Ken,
    Like Cath I had a 3 level c-spine fusion back in 2007 and I had minimal discomfort swallowing food for a very short time. Just reviewed the fusion last week fom the results of a myelogram and the results were textbook.
    That makes me feel even better now, hope you have the same positive results Ken and all others out there that have the surgery.
    Take care,
    Ranger
    Thanks, Ranger! :) You and I have been on this board quite awhile, haven't we?

I tell ya, I had my first myelogram about 2 or 3 weeks before surgery. Gosh, that was painful the position they put my body in. Hooked my feet to the bottom of the table then turned the table with my head facing down! That hurt like crazy! But it did give the surgeon the pics he needed.
    Greyeagle
  • advertisement
advertisement