Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Difficulty with the no BLT restrictions

hotcoffee29hhotcoffee29 Posts: 327
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey Everyone,

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I was just wondering how you all cope without bending, lifting and twisting???? I am 3 weeks post-op and I find myself bending all the time!

I am recovering well so I am attempting to do more and more, but without trying to over do it, I find myself, bending to make beds, bending doing laundry, bending to load and unload dishwasher, bending to pick things up!!!

I tried squating to get myself lower to do some things and boy I can feel it in my legs!! I just wondered if you all bend as much as I do withou realising just how much we are doing, and how badly can it hurt me???

I still have some swelling, my back just aches every day. I still feel the numbness and tingling on the left side, no leg pain but I do get twinges at times and it scares me all the pain will come back.

Maybe some of you can share with me how you get things done around the house without all the BLT!!!!

Thanks,
Sandra
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Sandra,

When I had my fusion my doctor chose not to put me in a brace. I was thrilled.

Of course, he said no BLT. I was surprised how difficult it was. When I realized how much we really do bend lift and twist naturally day in and day out I was wishing he had put me in a brace to keep me from doing it.

It's hard. Especially when you start feeling better. But it is important to really follow those instructions. Keep squatting. Build up those leg muscles. Trust me in the end you'll be happy you did.

Laundry was the toughest one for me. I would try slightly bending at the knees and pulling it out of the washer then dropping it on top of the dryer and pushing it on to the open dryer door. I would then kick it in and shut the door. Hilarious! Other than that I just had to rely on others to change it out and put it on the table for me to fold...

I tried a lot of squatting to make beds and load and unload the dishwasher. The Swifter became my friend. I found out I could do the floors and never bend or twist with it. Other than that a lot of stuff just had to go undone or wait for someone else. (That laundry really did make me mad cause believe it or not, I love to do laundry!)

Then there was the retraining of everyone in the house to leave everything I needed at waist level...That was a whole different story! Why couldn't they leave my coffee cream on the center shelf of the frige? Answer me that!

Hang in there! It won't be forever!
  • hotcoffee29,

Glad you are doing well, don't push it, it is too early. I am not versed on the medical words, so did you have a fusion. If so, that needs time to solidify.

That said, I had L5-S1 decompression and fusion with crushed nerve. 2 months out. Still have fair amount of pain, nothing like the first three weeks, OMG.

I too have to do things and have squatted probably too many time and am in a setback for a few days I hope. I never got the BLT speech. My doctors believe in doing what you feel up too within reason. Just no bending from the waist too far down. Wasn't happy when I told him I used my new, LIGHT gas trimmer. Was concerned with vibration hindering fusion.

Just be careful, I did more and more because I started to feel better and went a little too far, I think.

Your picture, whichever one you are shows a young person. I am almost 60, so we will have different healing rates anyway.

Continued recovery wishes,

Ken
  • advertisement
  • to keep reminding myself that I am still recovering and remind my family that I am not all healed yet, because I look just fine!! I walk well and overall feel really good, I just amazed myself at how much I was bending without realising just how much I was bending!!

Babybubbles, Its not all bad, I don't do the floors, my hubby does it all and he yells at me when he sees me bending, its when I am home and day and everyone else is gone that I feel like I should be doing "something" meaningful and helpful around the house. I am my own worst enemy and I don't want to blow this partnership because I really want to heal!!! Good luck with your 3 level fusion, wow!! Thats a big one. I wish you well for the operation and a good recovery, please let me know how your doing. I have never had a fusion and I can only imagine how challenging that must be to recover from. Best wishes and NO laundry for you!!!!!

Frog- I am glad you understand how frustrating this is for me, and most women out there I would imagine!!! I need to train my teenage daughter better, I wish she would help me more but my youngest son does alot for me!! My husband is great too, Like I said I ty not to bend but before I know it, there I go again!!! I know I must try better because I want this to heal properly with no problems this time :)

I like your comment about the coffee!! Thats soooo important!!! I am all about my coffee.....hence my screen name!! LOL

Thanks,
    Sandra
  • Sandra,

Sorry I didn't pay attention to the end of your post. I now know which one you are.

Ken
  • I found ways to do things to "help out" and feel a sense of accomplishment without doing any BLT. It started with a golf club. I was wandering around the house and grabbed my 2 iron and hooked a towel that had fallen on the floor. The light bulb went on and I found I could get clothes into the washer ( albeit only one or two pieces at a time) and it gave me something to do with my time as well. I would wash the clothes and get them into the dryer and my husband only had to pull them from the dryer when he got home. Since we didn't have a dish washer at the time, I found I could widen my stance enough to bring myself lower and have the dishes in the front half of the sink and could then wash dishes. I would dust anywhere I could reach without having to bend or reach above my head, so then my husband only had to get the lower or higher stuff.

Anyway, there's a ton of things you can do and keep your BLT to a bare minimum.

Glad to hear that you are feeling so much better.

"C"
  • advertisement
  • I had a 2 level fusion 3 months ago. At 3 weeks trust me..I couldn't have bent over if I wanted to.
    So since we didn't have the same surgery I cannot understand how easily you are bending.
    I still use a grabber for everything floor level and squat to pick up the dog bowls, etc.
    Bending over...forget it
    I use my grabber for laundry too.
  • Oh Sandra, it is SO hard to remember not to bend especially as you begin to get better.

Following my first 2 surgeries, as I healed, I would notice that I had bent to pick something up without even knowing it.....

Just this weekend, my hubby and I had went for a walk on the beach. We were washing the sand off of our feet when my hubby said, "NO! You're bending!" And I was....

Try to do the best you can! Put signs up, insist on help, buy extra reachers on but them where you bend the most, laundry room, kitchen, etc. I take a little chair to the dishwasher, sit on it, take the dishes out...

Hang in there. Your recovery is still early. Hopefully, you can make these body mechanics habits for life to help protect your back!

Wishing you the very best! I know it is a difficult summer for you!
  • I love sticky notes. Put them all over the house. Believe me that little note is all you need to remember not to do it. If you are creative draw some funny pictures on them too.

I know it seems hard now but before you realize it will be 3 months.
  • Thanks "C". I really liked some of your suggestions. I really do mean to be careful and not over do it, but I find I am just on auto pilot sometimes and just do "stuff" and when I am feeling ok its hard not to.

I see my surgeon tomorrow and if he thinks I am well enough, I will have my hysterectomy a week today. So I'll be back to taking it real easy once more!!

Hope your doing well,
    Sandra
  • I hope you continue to recover well and I must have missed the sale on the Grabbers that everyone has but me!! LOL

I have not had a fusion so I am sure its alot harder to recover and bend, I actually do alot of squatting and I found sitting on the floor made it easier for me to do laundry, I have a front loader so that helps. But today my daughter is doing all the laundry, yeahhhhhh!!!!

I know I am doing well for 3 weeks post-op but I need to remember its still early and alot of healing is still going on in the inside.

Take care,
    Sandra
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.