Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Showering without getting incision wet / Incision care

Comments

• lol i'll bet with a little imagination it could be use for all body parts.
    if anyone trys to sneak in ahead of you for patent rights, i'll be your witness that you had it first.

my best:)
  • Thanks a lot for all your great ideas and experiences. They will be really helpful. And thanks for asking how I'm doing. I'm doing well - no more leg pain, except for the occasional twinge when I get up from lying down for too long. Walking is getting easier.
    discectomy in June 2010 - success! No sciatic pain, just some remaining numbness in foot. And I get charlie horses a lot.
  • advertisement
  • I wanna hear how much you love that first shower!!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If you lived near me I'd have a solution. Before my spinal fusion I was looking on line for dry shampoo. Most came with bizarre warnings implying the stuff was really flammable. Most were around $20-$25 each.

I found one, at the same price of $21, that was more natural and you just spray in your hair and brush out. Well it was $21 for a BOX OF 12! It's made by Medline who makes tons of hospital supplies. So I've slowly been giving out the bottles to people I meet who are having surgery, have a friend having surgery, etc.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Yes, I also had the tegaderm dressings to put over my wounds. It did a good job of keeping things dry but still letting the incision breathe.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • advertisement
  • Hi, I tried the cling-wrap / waterproof tape bandage thing, with my bathrobe tie tied around me! hahah! Well, it got under it a bit, but it didn't seem to get into the bandage. I only washed my hair quickly - any longer and it probably would have got wet.

I have to bandage it myself, and it's so awkward, at the same time as trying to minimize twisting, and then the tape wouldn't stick due to sweat. Well, I just had to wash my hair, so that feels good at least. I also got a bottle of dry shampoo, so maybe next time I'll try that!
    discectomy in June 2010 - success! No sciatic pain, just some remaining numbness in foot. And I get charlie horses a lot.
  • Meesha,

Sorry it didn't work for you [the cling wrap]. I swear by the stuff anymore!! :) I use the cord from an old pair of sweats (I saw you used a robe band) since I can snug it up a tad more, and no bunching = no leaks past the cord.

I hope something works for ya Meesha. Support *HUG*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • If you get to the point that you just can't stand funky hair, you can always soak a wash cloth in a little shampoo and water, rub on head or thru hair. I made my bff do this for me in the hospital. I am really picky about my hair and there was no freakin way I could go 4 days and not wash, even the dry shampoo didn't cut it for me. But the dry shampoo is great for texture when you want BIG hair LOL. for that first outing of course :)

P.S. I was able to wash everything else ok by myself LMAO
  • I just realized there's no way the keep the incision from getting wet, since if you cover it with plastic and tape, you will sweat under it anyway. But at least it's good for keeping soap and shampoo out of it.
  • Sorry Meesha,

I thought that was what was understood by what I use. You can't keep sweat out, but the 'non-natural' body stuff (water, soap, shampoo) stays out. :) I live in south Florida, hard to keep from sweating! LOL!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.