Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

x-ray question

blazerblazer Posts: 784
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Has this happened to anyone else.
had my first post-op x-rays today, and when they had me lay on x-ray table laying on that hard surface i was seeing stars and was yelling in pain. the pain was all in my spine.
x_ray tech came running in asked what was wrong and i told her i cant lay on this hard surface.
then had a hard time turning on to my side. got that done and it was time to get off the table,
I couldnt sit up on my own told her to just grab my arm and behind my neck and pull me up. in lots of pain.
Is it just me or has anyone else been in this kind of pain getting post-op x-rays
dont have that happen in a soft bed. the pain was unreal. is this something to be concerned about
thanks ya'll
advertisement

Comments

• Jim,

I haven't had surgery in the lumbar yet, but I can NOT lay on my back on a firm surface, so I sort of know how you're feeling there. My thoracic and neck put their 2 cents in as well if I try to get up! Lying on my side for a minute or so, can do, but more than that, pain starts there as well.

The last time I went, they gave me a pillow for under the small of my back and under my legs. Still a bugger to get up, but I could stay still for a couple of minutes with them doing this for me. See if they can get you pillows next time. Sorry it was so painful for you.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • and thanks, but i've never had that happen until i injured my back. my spine felt the same as when i was getting my pre-op x-rays. i thought that would go away after the surgery. excruicating pain directly in the spine.
    I dont know if its part of the healing or what, i just know my spine was not a happy camper.

thanks and my best
  • advertisement
  • blazer said:
    and thanks, but i've never had that happen until i injured my back. my spine felt the same as when i was getting my pre-op x-rays. i thought that would go away after the surgery. excruicating pain directly in the spine.
    I dont know if its part of the healing or what, i just know my spine was not a happy camper.

thanks and my best
    Jim,

You need to remember that you are still pretty early in the recovery mode. :) Hopefully it will get better as time goes on. It might not be a bad idea of course to let your surgeon know about the pain when you all hook up for your status follow up appointment. Rest and heal....:)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Heya Jim!

When I have my x-rays, they are done while I am standing.

I still, (13 1/2 weeks) have a hard time laying flat on my back on a padded surface, such as the mat table during PT.

I seriously doubt I could lay on my back on a hard
    x-ray table!

I am surprised they put your on that.

Please be cautious of having someone to help you by putting their arm around your neck! One false or sudden move and your cervical spine could be damaged. Another way would be for them to extend their forarm and you to hold onto that. (sorry, just the therapist in me......)

Hope you are doing well! Shari
  • thank you brenda, i'll try and remember.

shari thats what the lady told me to do, she knew why i was there,and she remembered me from the pre-op x-rays.
    i only know it was and still is right now in excruicating pain.
    i didnt know any better i just wanted to get outta there and i told her to pull me up and she did.
    i see my neuro next week and he will probably start me on therapty, but i 'm not laying on no floor.nope.

thank you and take care
  • advertisement
  • Oh my friend, you are so funny! I don't blame you for not wanting to lay on the floor! I don't want to either, not do I think I would be able to....

At PT, they should have elevated mat tables or elevated individual massage type tables. For me they can still be difficult, I have problems with my SI joints. But they can put pillows under your hips, neck, and knees which will help with comfort.

If they ask you to get on the floor, tell them " NO" and walk out the door.

Next week I will be expected to go back to work...I am going to practice getting down on the floor. I think I can get down there, I just not sure I can get back up!

And while I am trying to go back to work, my hubby will be in Vegas for the week for sales "meetings"!! I am not too happy about it, just hope the week goes fast and I am too busy or tired to think about it! It often feels like us spineys frequently draw the "short stick". :(

Hang in there Jim, hope the pain gets better soon!
  • pain increase in my back and a lot of pain in my left leg this morning.
    had a bad nite trying to sleep and really hurt trying to get out of bed, feel like i did before my surgery.
    think i will have to increase pain meds for a few days.
    making matters worse have to have my daughter at hospital 35 miles away at 5;30 tomorrow morning for her eye surgery.
    just praying that what the doctors are saying her outcome will be, actually happens.
    she lost vision in her right eye when she was 12 y/o from a accident at home, keeping our fingers crossed and praying for the best.

best wishes
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,760
    And I still have not been able to lie down flat on my back on a hard surface without discomfort.
    The only way I could for a short period of time was to bend my knees up.

Some people can lie down without pain, and I have also heard of lumbar patients who can lay on the stomachs in bed without discomfort.

So, to some degree, its different with everyone
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • thank you for your comments.
    i was wondering if it was just me or if something in my healing process was going backwards.
    maybe it will get better and maybe not, all i can do is keep my doctor informed and i trust he will tell me whats best for me, cause like you said everyone is different.
    good to see your back with us and we all look forward to hearing from you.

best wishes
  • Heya Jim, I ws thinking of you today while I was at PT. I was on a mat table and was unable to lay without bending my knees and rotating my pelvis so my back was in neutral.

I also had a difficult time sleeping last night. My right hip and SI joint were so painful. That is the side I usually sleep on as my abdominal incision and my bone graph incision are on the left side.

Have you tired icing? or using heat?

I'm sorry, but I can't remember if you are taking any meds for nerve pain, such as neurontin or Lyrica? If so, were you taking it before surgery? Maybe you could talk to your doc about increasing your dose as it does sound like nerve pain.

My PT has suggested the same for me, but with these meds come weight gain, and I have hesitated to talk with my doc as I don't want to gain anymore weight. I am so small, even 5 pounds is significant on my frame.....::(

You could also talk to your surgeon or his PA if it would be okay to show you how to decompress your spine by laying on the bed or sofa with your knees up :) This was a way of resting that Gwennie often referred to, my PT suggested I schedule it into my day. At about 6 weeks, I was having a lot of back and leg pain. Since I started doing this 2-3 times a day with ice, I have felt mush better.

I haven't done it in a couple days and boy did I feel it last night!

I sure hope some of these ideas will be helpful! My best to you!

Will be thinking and praying for you and your daughter tomorrow! It's amazing, I can go through just about anything, except for when it comes to my daughter!

wishing you the best! Shari
advertisement