Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

my 360 L4-5 journey continues

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had my 3 month follow up with my surgeon today! He really is great!

He is concerned re the numbness in my right leg. It is the thigh, outside hip and bum. When he did the sensation assessment, I closed my eyes, and it really did seem like I felt it less on my right leg. It is so subjective and I worry about the validity of my interpertation. But, I am sure about the thigh and bum going numb.

He has ordered an MRI TODAY, and wants me to come back in a week for the results (next time he will be in the Houston Office).

I just noticed that my left leg is swollen. I wished I would have noticed it earlier before I saw him. I don't know if it is a concern of not.....I don't know what to do about it....

He wants me to see a rheumatologist. He doesn't think the swelling of my hands is from the neurontin, but that the joints are inflammed ~ and they are. I can't get my wedding rings over the joints... I have had some issues with my left knee and ankle. Just thought it was from aleignment, but now I don't know.

My x-rays do show some fusion, so I am thrilled with that. I talked about suppliments, but he doesn't think that will be needed.

He wants be to join a gym after completing PT, and work on cardio! :) whoohoo!! So I am thrilled with that, that will definately help me to get back in shape. So, I am planning for that at the end of July or beginning of Aug. Hopefully this is realistic!

He reassured me that I am where he would expect me to be, but cautioned me that it will take a year to completely heal.

He released me to go to work and oked me to bend a little as I work on the babies.

I am very nervous for this MRI. I can't lay on my back without padding under my bum and without bending my knees. I wish I had someone who could drive me home, I am so worried about the pain from the MRI.

I don't know what the outcome will be of this MRI. If it is not the spine, weakness, tremor, numbness, swollen joints, fatigue is not a good combination and I fear that will resume the talk about neurology....

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I have this MRI!

Thank you for all your support ! Shari

***DH told me today how much I am missed and how he wishes I was there too!! miracles really do happen!! :)

advertisement

Comments

• Shari,

Awww my friend! Seems we have some of the same symptoms. At least your surgeon has a brain and is sending you for an MRI. At my last MRI I was able to get a cushion for my legs but of course, none for lower back. Good luck and I hope it is over quickly.

Hugs and Hugs :D
    Traci
  • and they would drive us to and from the hospital if needed. There is a cost but it is not all that much. Is there something similar in your area? Hate to think of you driving home yourself and in pain.
  • advertisement
  • Gee I get off work just when u go back! Glad to hear about the fusion. Not so happy about the rest. Any chance this is heat related? Or water/salt issue?

MRI will be over before you know it. Just imagine being on an island with a margarita!!
  • I hope they give you a pillow under your legs for the MRI and take deep breaths to relax yourself and I hope it's over quickly. Could you make a quick call to the Surgeon about the leg swelling? I wore a TED stocking when my leg was swollen. Prayers everything goes well. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• Hope that your MRI is bearable and that they let you have a pillow under your knees.

Great news that you have started to fuse! Well done! :-)

Also great news that DH told you how much you are missed. <:P <br />
    Good that your surgeon is investigating the other issues. Let's hope they get to the bottom of what is going on and can sort it out.

So back to work tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you and praying for you Shari. Can't wait to hear how you get on. :D

• advertisement
  • MRI is done, the last time I had one it was of my brain, cervical, thorasic and lumbar...so after that this wasn't aweful. I wasn't great but I made it through.

I put a call in to my surgeon re the swelling. It seems like it's maybe my knee...

In hind sight, had I known today, that I would have been gone from 7:00 - 4:00, I won't go back tomorrow as I am exhausted.

The papers are signed so to work I will go.

Found a dress for the wedding this weekend as none of mine fit..

I am trying hard to not worry. I so wanted to put all of this (neuro...) behind me and not have to deal with it. But am very thankful my surgeon is proactive!

I hope everyone is doing well!

• I'm off to bed now, but I wanted to let you know that I'll be thinking and praying for you tomorrow. Hope it goes well. Make sure that you can rest when you get home. :-)

Great that you don't have to shop for a dress for the wedding now, on top of returning to work.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on. :D
  • Sorry to hear of youo still having symptoms. I hope the mri gives you some answers. Lynette
    Lynette
  • real happy for you that your back is showing fusing,now hopefully the MRI shows why your still having numbness.
    just be careful with that bending at work, tie a string on your finger to remind yourself that your still healing.
    hope all goes well with this MRI and it will tell the doctors what they are looking for.

take'r easy and be careful :SS
  • Thank you all so much! i have no idea what to think or to feel...His asking for another MRI TODAY really surprised me! I wasn't too worried about the numbness, honestly, I worry more about the swelling and assumed they were related....

So I will do my best to not worry!

Tomorrow I go back to work and I am terrified! I am now in my soft brace, which after wearing the TLSO, I don't even feel it!

After being off for so long and through so much, I feel like I have cobwebs in my brain! I hope I can remember all that I once knew....:)

I pray that I will be able to sleep tonight! I often don't sleep well when hubby is out of town. My dingo/rhodeshian ridge back is very, very protective when he is gone. Sleeping by the front door and hypersensative!

Thanks again for your support, I will feel your presence tomorrow as I begin the next phase of this journey!

With much admiration and appreciation!
advertisement