Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L-5 Fusion

Comments

• Hi
    Thanks 4 commenting but yes, posteriopr approach. Thats what he said.......3-6 weeks, and like I posted, since I live alone and have nobody to help, he may send me to a re-hab center...

Thanks to all who replied

Paul
  • I know you've come a long way since you first joined. I remember when you couldn't even find pain relief from the Drs. Have you had a second opinion yet? I haven't had surgery myself but just hope this surgery will help you. Please see your Primary Dr. about smoking cessation and the meds that can take away the cravings. I hope you can find some relief soon. Have they done a discogram yet? Does your back need this surgery for stability? Keep us posted whatever you decide. We're here to support you through it. TC. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • HI Charry&Thanks.
    The Dr.has never mentioned "discogram" yet to me.I dont think for stability purposes,it's just that the nerve root is compromised and there is a herniation @L-5.
    Also have DDD badly and enplate changes. He wants to go in there and clean up scar tissue and fuse the L-5.
    I'm gunna discuss smoking cessation w/primary dr soon
    Thanks for the support...will keep everyone posted
    Paul
  • I just had my surgery this month (2 weeks ago) and had instant relief for DDD --1 completely degenerated and ruptured disc and one degenerated one. Ended up with a discectomy, decompression, and the fusion. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

You have to quit smoking. My post-op instructions say "the nicotine will prevent your fusion from healing" -- so I think you are at a fork in the road and need to make a choice. 40 years is a long habit to break but with support and strength, you can do it!
  • Where do you live in NY? I also live in NY. If you want to get a second opinion, I have a wonderful surgeon. It took me 5 different surgeons to find this one! He was the 5th one. I am sorry about the decisions you have to make. My PM doctor wanted to put a SCS in my back even before surgery!!! That was a no no for me. Just let me know if you want more info.
  • advertisement
  • a spinal cord stimulator. No freakin' way man! A device threaded in by my spinal cord that will try to convince my brain that I'm not having the immense pain I AM having? I don't think so. Might be the right approach for some folks, but I wasn't going for what amounted to a pacemaker in my butt.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • after over fifty years. He was told he had COPD and the veins in his legs were also constricted to the point he had difficulty walking. So, to the amazement of all of us, he quit and is doing really well. If an old codger like him can do it, then so can you because you have a much longer life expectancy that he does.
  • I had L5-S1 fusion on May 10th. My doctor said it would definitely be a while for recovery but I could probably go back to work after 3 weeks. Well I did but can only do half days. I work at a desk, and sitting is not too good right now. I am using my upper torso more than I thought. And also the doctors sometimes don't realize what we average people have to do in a days time. Having more pain now like I did 1 week after surgery. I think it is because I think I can do more. Got flexion xrays yesterday and have dr appt next tues. The upside no pains shooting down my legs!
advertisement