Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

medication question

payoppayo Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a question about medication
which of this pain medication is stronger. norco 10mg-325mg
or Lortab 10mg-500mg
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,419
    Norco is in the Hydrocodone family( or other names for it, Vicodin, Percocet ) is stronger than the Lortab

The last number in the 10mg is acetaminophen The combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone is used to relieve moderate to severe pain.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • dilauro said:
    Norco is in the Hydrocodone family( or other names for it, Vicodin, Percocet ) is stronger than the Lortab

The last number in the 10mg is acetaminophen The combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone is used to relieve moderate to severe pain.

The lortab is stronger only because it has 500mg of acetaminophen. The norco only has 325mg of acetaminophen. They both contain 10mg of hydrocodone. Essentially they are the same only differing in the amount of acetaminophen.

Lortab 10mg-500mg is 500mg of acetaminophen and 10mg of hydrocodone.

Norco 10mg-325mg is 325mg of acetaminophen and 10mg of hydrocodone.

The first number is the hydrocodone.
    the second number is the acetaminophen.

Vicodin is also hydrocodone and acetaminophen, but percocet is oxycodone and acetaminophen. Oxycodone is stonger than hydrocodone.
  • advertisement
  • is just plain bad for you (especially your liver). If you need to be on meds for an extended amount of time, ask your doc to give you the pain medication without the tylenol in it. As far as I'm concerned, acetaminophen doesn't work very well for the type of pain most of us get, so why take a drug you don't need?

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I have been taking vicodin for a year now 7.5/500. Good days are 2 really bad days can be 4 or 5. They work very well for me and I try to be concious of the amount I take. Most days it 2 and try to use the tends unit to relieve some of the pain before taking another pill.
  • lsteller said:
    is just plain bad for you (especially your liver). If you need to be on meds for an extended amount of time, ask your doc to give you the pain medication without the tylenol in it. As far as I'm concerned, acetaminophen doesn't work very well for the type of pain most of us get, so why take a drug you don't need?

Linda

Exactly, The more acetaminophen, it is not good for your liver or kidneys. Its the same strength, their both 10 MGS its just the ammounts the acetaminophen. The Norco 10/325 is better because you can take more. If you have to take 2, thats only 650 of acetaminophen, which compared to 1000 of the Lortab 10 /500 if you take 2, its better for your liver and kidneys in the long run. The only reason why they put acetaminophen in it is to make the Hydrocodone last longer for analgesic benefits. If it was just Hydrocodone, it would not last long. ;)
  • advertisement
  • but I was on very stronger pain meds like morphine, fentynal patch, others, and the only pain med that worked for me was Lortab. Pain meds works differently works for individuals. After my surgeries, I was on morphine pump, and I asked to give me Lortab instead. It worked for me.
advertisement