Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

8 months after fusion and emg results

thenadetthenade Posts: 137
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I saw a neurologist last Tuesday. I was referred by my neurosurgeon after he could not find the reason for my continuing leg pain. As I mentioned on previous posts my CT and MRI do not show any problems that would be causing the pain. He did the tests right in his office and said that I have slight nerve damage in my leg. He tested a few different muscles in my right leg and compared them to readings on my left. I can deal with the weak leg etc. but I can't deal with the nerve pain. I asked if this was as good as it gets and he said probably. He said that nerves can be slow to recover sometimes taking 12 to 18 months but without a significant improvement to date he didn't give me much hope. I don't know what to do. I waited 15 months for surgery(live in Canada), watched my mother slowly die from cancer during that time but kept holding onto the hope that one day I could be relatively pain free. Just venting, this is the first time I've been able to put my thoughts down without crying. Anyone out there have continued nerve improvement past 8 months?
advertisement

Comments

• Just wanted to answer you to let you know you aren't alone :-)

I am only 13 weeks post surgery, so can't really offer much help with experience.
    I do think that I have read here of people who do get continued improvement long after their surgery,(8 months or more).

My physiotherapist briefly explained about nerve healing to me as I am still have some of my nerve pain and symptoms. He said that there is very little blood flow to the nerves, which makes healing of them much slower.

I have started to take a Vitamin B complex supplement, to try to aid nerve healing. This was as a result of things I've read rather than medical advice. :-)

It sounds like the last year has been a very rough one for you thenade.
    Losing your mum in the middle of all your back issues must have been horrendous. It will take a while to work through the trauma of that.

I do hope that your nerves will continue to heal, and with that the pain will subside.
    Allow yourself to cry if you need to. :''(
    I'm sure that tears are healing. >:D<
    You have a whole bunch of people here who can understand what you are going through and will support you through it.

You are not alone. :D >:D<
  • Jelly is right about the B vitamins. I take a B-complex and B6/B12 injections. My B12 was very low.

Are you taking a drug specifically for nerve pain?

Remember that nerves can only regenerate at the rate of 1mm/month.

Take care,

Lisa
  • advertisement
  • Thank you both for your advice. I am taking vitamin B and my own doctor did check my levels and they are fine. Right now I am taking 25mg of elavil for sleep and to try help with nerve pain. It's an old type of antidepressant. It helps me sleep but doesn't do much for the pain or depression at that amount. I have tried Cymbalta and Gabapentin and they did not agree with me. I am trying a month of Voltaren to see if it helps but I don't think my problem is inflammation. The nerve is still compressed somehow or it is damaged, although the surgeon insists it is not compressed. I wonder why then it is better when I lay down. Thankyou Jellyhall for your touching words of support. Although I have a husband and daughter I feel all alone in this. In the next while I have to try and make some sense of it, if this is to be my life now. I was always a take charge active person. I wish I knew a way to get a handle on this.
  • thenade said:
    Well I saw a neurologist last Tuesday. I was referred by my neurosurgeon after he could not find the reason for my continuing leg pain. I can deal with the weak leg etc. but I can't deal with the nerve pain.... . He said that nerves can be slow to recover sometimes taking 12 to 18 months but without a significant improvement to date he didn't give me much hope.... I waited 15 months for surgery(live in Canada),.
    Yeah, I have been given different answers on how long it takes nerve pain to heal. I have diabetes as well so any healing takes longer. Its been a year and a half since my 4 lvl cervical laminectomy. So far no difference in my arm pain.

I had a lumbar laminectomy one month ago (5 lvl) to correct my right leg pain and take pressure off my nerve roots. This neurosurgeon said it will take 3 to 4 months for improvement in my leg pain. Just have to wait and see.

This most recent surgery, I saw this surgeon for the first time two months ago. On that first visit he looked at MRI's I brought to him ordered by another doctor. He scheduled surgery a few weeks later. He was fast....I'm sorry to hear it took you so very long to get surgery in Canada.

I have a 2 lvl discectomy fusion in my neck coming up the next time I see this surgeon. He wants my lumbar surgery to heal first.

Best wishes to you.
    Greyeagle
advertisement