Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Inversion therapy for back pain

junta78jjunta78 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:44 AM in Lower Back Pain
have been suffering from low back pain for the last 8 years. i have bulging discs between L4- L5 and between L5 -s1.. I don't want to hang completely upside down.. but just want to invert at 30 degree or 45 degreee angle ..
could you please suggest if inversion table can be helpful in relieving back pain
would like to know if inversion therapy is safe and doesn't worsen my condition..
Thanks,
Venkat.
advertisement

Comments

• Before getting an inversion table I would try it out at a Physiotherapist's office or a Rehab Dr. Physiatrist for proper way how to use it. Maybe someone else has better advice. Take care.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I bought an inversion table at my tocal sporting goods store. They are frequently on sale for $100. Mine was working really well for me until I started having more severe disc problems. You actually should not hang completely inverted right off the bat and it's not necessary. The table comes with instructions and you start out at a very simple incline and for only a few minutes at a time. If you go great guns at the start you can actually hurt yourself(In my opinion.). I would consult your physician just to make sure an inversion table is right for you. I could actually feel things popping back in place and it felt really good. I would do it for 5mins in the am and 5 in the pm. Unfortunately I start having issues and had to stop but it can be a great gentle traction for some people.
  • advertisement
  • hi rwill, are your disc problems due to using inversion table?
    even though i want to try inversion table, am little scared about that thought..

what do yout think about this simple back stretcher?

https://www.brookstone.com/back-stretcher-ab-trainer-machine.html?his=2~46337~2~root_category@kwd~back+stretcher&bkiid=searchresults|c4categoryprodlist1fdt|7171329

can it help with back pain?
    thanks,
    venkatesh.
  • You know you have issues in your spine. So before doing anything I would ask your doctor. What may be perfectly harmless and even helpful in a "normal" person could cause terrible problems for someone with a spine problem. Since we are all different you shouldn't rely on the results others have had in place of a doctors opinion.
  • yes, i have issues in spine.. that's why am looking for some non-surgical treatment for my back pain..

https://www.losethebackpain.com/inversion3.html
    if u check this web-site, they claim that inversion is supposed to decompress your spine and eliminates the back pain..
  • advertisement
  • Venkat-No the inversion table did not cause my back problems. I fell on top of a 2x6 in '08 then crashed on a snowmobile the winter before last, those are what caused my issues not the table. I think if you consult your doctor to doublecheck it's safety you should be alright. Just go real easy it doesn't take much and it takes time to build up tolerance. Your muscles have a memory so they will start to relax quicker the more you do it. I could literally feel my body relaxing and things would pop at it would feel wonderful for awhile afterwards.
  • thanks rwill for your reply.

what do you think about this simpel buy stretcher...

https://www.brookstone.com/back-stretcher-ab-trainer-machine.html?his=2~46337~2~root_category@kwd~back+stretcher&bkiid=searchresults|c4categoryprodlist1fdt|7171329

it looks like a mini version of inversion table..
    do you think this will help for back pain? or should i go for inversion table only..
  • Well in my opinion it doesn't look very comfortable maybe that's just because I'm use to mine. I don't like the spaces in between the roller looking things. Mine had a back board then you positioned your feel and was able to recline how you wanted. I would definately not do the what the person is doing in the picture. That makes my back hurt just looking at it. Go to www.relaxtheback.com they have some really nice tables. Again this is just my opinion.....
  • thanks Rwill for the information.. i am from India.. am not sure if doctors know about this inversion therapy.. anyway will be happy to get more feedback from guys who have tried that inversion therapy..
  • Hi Venkat,

I am currently doctoring for nerve root impingement at L5 and my husband asked this same question of my spine surgeon. He said that we could try it but to be aware that it would only be a temporary fix (for me, anyway, since my problem is structural, not a herniated disc). He said to be aware that negative pressure may make you feel good while you're on the inversion table but that it can cause a three-fold increase in pain when you get off the table!
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.