Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

About the walking they tell you to do

beaverbbeaver Posts: 190
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hubby came home yesterday and decided to walk around a fair bit as he wants to do what they tell him. Today he was running a fever due to a bladder infection he developed in the hospital. They sent him home anyway but family doctor prescribed cipro and the burning sensation has disappeared already with fever going down slowly. However today he is weak and visibly shaking at times. He thinks he should still try to walk. I think he needs to rest and get over the fever. He is afraid that will set back recovery and lead to scar tissue. Any opinions from those who have gone through this?
advertisement

Comments

• Well you are dealing with a man so it changes everything - lmao!! As long as the fever is going down and you feel pretty good that the infection is going away I would let him have his way.

But at this point his walks should be once around the inside of the house ever hour or so. Not sure what he considers a walk but knowing my husband I would guess he wants to walk around the block!

Any chance you have an older son or a brother-in-law who could be around just in case he gets too shakey? You don't want him falling at this stage.

Hope this helps. Dealing with husbands as patients is the worst. Good luck and remember this will all be a memory in a week or so. :)
  • Bless your heart! If your hubby is like mine, you may have your hands full! Scar tissue tends to be most probable between weeks 3-12, so maybe that will help him feel better about just walking around the house for now.

Hope he feels better from his infection!

Thank goodness for antibiotics!

Please take the time to take care of yourself too! Caregiving is a difficult job!

Wishing you the best!
  • advertisement
  • Beaver,

My first judgment/thought is he should chill and let the antibiotics do their job, and HE rest. The internal part of us as humans, "he feels he needs to walk"...he should be allowed to walk a bit. If you have someone to keep an eye on him, then it should be okay? Scar tissue shouldn't be an issue for near a month or so. If it was my hubby (with argument) I would make him rest and get rid of the fever. :)

Men are great, but they make better nurses than patients!!! Please keep us posted. *HUG*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Brenda they make better nurses because they hand you some pills and then disappear!!! The disappear part is the best!!
  • Kris-NY said:
    Brenda they make better nurses because they hand you some pills and then disappear!!! The disappear part is the best!!
    Hehehehe... Kris, my hubby is the love and attention magnet! If I am sick, he won't leave my side! If he is sick, good Lord if you try to help! Rofla!!!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I'd agree with him to walk a TINY bit in the house to keep the blood flowing and the lungs working well. But until he feels more steady that shoudl be the extent of his working.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • won't do him much good if he passes out and falls down. I'm sure just walking around the house till the fever is down and he feels a little more solid would be just fine.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • The best source of expertise of course is your husband's doc. When in doubt, a phone call to get clarification can relieve a lot of stress.

I'm not certain where some of the others got their information from on scar tissue formation timelines, but there's really no set in stone formula. It varies from individual to individual. The body is an amazing mechanism and almost immediately after inflammation has gone down, the body begins to repair itself and develops the building blocks for scar tissue. Most surgeon's I've talked to, tell me that once it's been a month from the initial surgery, there's quite a bit of scar tissue development already, not just beginning. I had adhesions develop that trapped the nerve in my leg after only 2 weeks. The surgeon cleaned it out during a revision and then recommended being very diligent about walking and flexing my feet while lying down.

I would have gone nuts trying to walk enough around my apartment and as soon as I was steady enough, I would take several shorts walks a day. I would eat first to get some fuel, rest for a bit and then take a walk. Come back, rest and basically repeat the cycle several times a day until I could build up greater times and distances.

I imagine that your husband is struggling enough as it is with the fact that he had spine surgery. For me, the last thing I wanted (on top of dealing with having had to succumb to spine surgery)was someone telling me to back off or rest or not do anything. That's just me. My husband knows how important to my personal outlook it is, for me to be able to set my own pace, my own restrictions and if necessary learn my own lesson. Your husband's smart, I bet he will do only what he feels capable of doing and rest in between.

Just another perspective.

"C"
  • Sorry to keep bugging everyone but the antibiotic seems to be doing the job as the fever is gone. However he is still having difficulty urinating a whole lot and it is still quite painful. Bowels have started to move well today. Should we be concerned about the urination or is that something that will come? He was cathaterized several times in the hospital and, to be honest, some of the nurses did not do it well.
    He has agreed to cut the walking down a bit but is going up and down stairs and walking around the house often. And he does not seem to be in much pain- has cut the pain killers down to just extra strength tylenol. This is certainly an uncertain and scary time for both of us.
  • I only had a catheter when I had a c-section. That was for 2 days. I remember after that it was difficult to go. I think it may cause some bruising. But that's just my guess.

I would call the doctors office about the pain just to be sure.
advertisement