Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

work/disability

advertisement

Comments

• As you consider all that has been written remember the emotional side of work. Most of us have an emotional need to work, to feel productive, to interract with others, to be part of a workforce. It may be painful to work but it can also be painful to not work.
  • I hate the fact that you have to give up all of the "bearable" hours you have in a day to work, and the rest of the time you're home, you're useless to yourself and your family! I love what I do, but when I come home and can only load up on breakthrough meds and sit on a heating pad--it sucks. I'm going on a cruise in 2 weeks...I'm not thinking about how great all the sights will be...I'm stressing about a new bed, being on my feet, having enough pain meds. Your mind works very differently as a chronic pain pt. I SO wish part time disability was available! I feel like I could work 1/2 days, but I can't afford that. I can't afford full-time disability either. I think mentally and physically I NEED to work some, but this is killing me!
    I know it seems like 15mg is a lot in a day, but I've had to function on 40mg of Opana and vicodin for breakthrough! Everyone's tolerance and acceptance of sacrifice is personal. Do what you feel you need to do within the financial ability you have. If I could afford it....I'd so be home for my family, and enjoy being able to pace myself better throughout the day!
  • advertisement
  • Thank you. Even though I explained a lot, I didn't explain everything. I do not like oxycodone and I am afraid of becoming addicted. Therefore, I take 3 to get by plus OTC medicine, a lot of rest, heat, ice, exercise, PT, tens etc. In fact, I just quit taking oxy and I am surviving on OTC. It is tough, so fatiqued. I do not like the rollercoaster ride with oxy and I really would need double what I take to lesson the pain a considerable degree and do most everything that I want to do. At this point, I figure that if I can not manage work with OTC medicine, then I should not work and apply for OPM disability. If I could work at home for two to three hour shifts then I could do it, but unfortunately my job doesn't allow that. Thanks for your sincere input.
  • Have you mentioned these concerns to your doctor? They are valid, and there are tons of other drugs (non addictive) that I am sure are out there. As for OPM and such, just have that plan "B" ready just in case. It also lets you get a real financial eyeball as to whether you can make it on it or not.

Also too, just like SS, your doctors have to be fully supportive as if they aren't, DR won't happen as OPM weighs heavily on what your doctors diagnose and feels is your prognosis. Keep plugging away Greg, it will work out. Please keep us posted. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • That is exactly how I am too! Instead of being fired up for a trip somewhere, like I used to be, I'm stressed out about the same exact issues! Will I be able to sit in the truck for the drive there, will I be able to sleep and enjoy any of it and will I run out of pain meds because I decided screw it, and took a few extra so I could enjoy it as much as possible??!! You do think differently. My husband constantly says - jeez, your whole life revolves around your drugs - no kidding??? Really??? God I hadn't realized that... It makes so much more sense now. It's actually my pain and keeping it in check that it revolves around, but hey, we may as well be rude and imply I'm a drug addict right??!!
  • advertisement
  • HI DAVE I AM NEW TO THIS CAN WE TALK ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS TO POEPLE THAT HAVE BAD BACKS
  • I'm sure everyone here would be glad to talk to you. Why not start by going to the New Member Section and introduce yourself. Just a small note, you need to lose the caps, people will think you're yelling at them.

Dave
  • I can certainly relate to everything you said. I also get the 4 a day and it just isn't enough. After a massive shoulder surgery, she upped it to 6 a day and it was perfect. Even after major surgery I felt better than I have in years as far as pain is concerned. I don't know what the big deal is. Especially if you "MUST" work, they need to understand that. Not everyone has the option to take a disability because of financial reasons, and not everyone can afford to work part-time either. As far as the stigma of narcotics, you are dead on with that. I know one day at work I accidently said something at break about it and the gals there just stared and said, you have got to get off of those! You'll get addicted! Really? No, you gotta be kidding me??!! Then they ask stupid questions like, have you tried advil, or tylenol, or heat or ice? Uhm, no, I've had this crap for about 13 years now and gosh, I've never even thought of trying an alternative to cure non-stop nerve pain - how stupid of me! Oh well, what do ya do... Glad you enjoy the people you work with, I hate my bunch. A nosey bunch of gossipers that I steer clear of! It used to be about 7 older federal agents, then when they started retiring, the new guy started hiring a bunch of young gals. Holy cow - I've never seen anything quite like it! They are just brutal...
  • I took my pills,could just about get through the day at work, with lying down every 2 hrs and for a whole hr at lunchtime while the shop was closed.
    I cried every night when I got home and begged for sleep, awake the next day, dreading the long hrs till home time.
    It got to point where my boss was noticing I was making stupid mistakes, not something I could get away with as I was dispensing peoples prescriptions.
    I felt there was only one thing to do, take less meds and hope and pray I could deal with it.
    You make think my boss would be more understanding but he thinks anyone having controlled drugs is a drug seeker ( he did change his mind when his wife needed them )
    The outcome was if I took my meds I could just about cope with the pain but my concentration levels were not good.The final straw was when I dispensed the wrong meds due to pain and not taking enough meds to please the boss. I would have killed that person.
    Since I decided to go on sick and claim disability my pain levels are SO much better but still not controlled.
    The down side is now I have time to enjoy life at my pace I do not have the money to do it lol
    I hope you make the right decision for YOU, money does not make a person happier but its good to be able to spend it
  • That's quite a story! I guess in that case, it was safest for everyone for you to take a medical. I'm glad you were able too and glad you are enjoying it for the most part. I work so that I get in my 80 hours and have every other friday off. On the long weekend I can sure tell a big difference in the amount I need to take and how much better I feel by saturday! On the short ones, I just start feeling better and then have to go back the next day. LOL! I am extremely fortunate however that the pain meds don't affect me in any way except to get rid of the pain. I am very lucky, I know a lot of people get groggy and tired, but they don't do that to me - thank the Lord!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.