Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

5 months later and this isn't where I thought I would be!

Comments

• From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much for your support my spiney friends! I have come to realize that Thurs are just a very difficult day right now and by thur night I am in so much pain and so exhausted.

I am anxious to get my thyroid level up as I think that will help with the energy. Pain just wears me down.

I have a friend coming to visit and that will be so nice to just relax and laugh. We were planning on staying at a lake house on the water so the kids could run and play. It has rained nonstop here, the water levels are high, the ground is saturated and the house flooded....and is now covered in muck...

So, my dear hubby came to the rescue and now we are staying on the beach. That way, I don't have to hostess~I am just too exhausted! I feel a little bad, saying I can't do it, but I just can't.

I am trying to figure out if I should go back and finish my Physical therapy. I stopped when I herniated the level above and at the same time was returning to work.

I am torn, it seems like too much, but I know I should....

Thank you so much for your support! This recovery just seems to be unending!
  • How distressing to have the house flooded and covered in muck. Good that you're staying on the beach for a while - your hubby sounds wonderful! Here in Western Australia, we have the opposite problem - not enough rain and lots of beautiful sunny days.

With the physical therapy, can you just do your stretches at home and in the office, and perhaps some meditation afterwards?

>:D<

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • advertisement
  • Hi Shari,

After my fusion I returned to work at the 8 month mark. Long time I know, Granted it was to a very physical and demanding job with long 10-12 hour days.

Man can I relate to the grueling pain, coming home in extreme pain only to do what ever it took to rest, relax, get the pain at bay, only to go back and do it all over again. I needed my job. Main support for our family. A lot of good that is doing me now.

Unfortunately for me I did it as long as I could. 11 months later the pain changed became more severe and other areas joined in the party. I am off work again and this time it has been almost a year.

I went back to doing the same things I always used to do. Shame on me. I destroyed the levels above and below my fusion as they were taking on so much more abuse after the fusion.

Please be careful with your NEW SPINE!

TAKE CARE, WHEN YOU CAN'T DO IT, YOU CAN'T DO IT! LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! PAIN IS THE BODY'S WARNING SYSTEM. OUCH, SOMETHING IS WRONG.

BETTY
  • Shari,

I am so sorry you are still not there yet. I think going back to work is delaying but not stopping your recovery. I would do as mentioned above and do some light PT at home. Or, try nothing for awhile. You are working hard enough. I never felt the harder stuff helped me, only caused more pain. I gave it all up, because I get exercise at work and do a lot of home/car stuff. I am at a point were I now feel I can start a mild/moderate workout program. But, if it increases my back/leg pain I will stop.

My prayers are with you and know it will get better. You may be one of those 12-18 month recoveries. Wish you could reduce your job workload, but I understand.

Take Care,

Ken
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I understand totally. If I had to work I don't know what I'd do. I'm 6 months out and luckily on Long Term Disability. There are days where I can imagine going back to work and then an hour later I'll need to lay down, take pain meds, etc and I realize I may not be returning.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • advertisement
  • "I think I can, I think I can...." Another work week is over and I made it thru!

I saw my PM yesterday, my appointment was for this coming Mon, but had to be rescheduled. Thur's are my worst day, so appropriate to see him on the day I feel the worst.

We spent a long time talking. He noted that he thought I looked so much better (a good haircut and a few highlights:)). He thinks I am too hard on myself.....

I have come to a cross road of either continuing to taper down the pain meds or switching to something more long term and slow releasing.

I am not ready to give up! So I am tapering down and pray I can do it. He meantioned that sometimes people remember the horrible pain and the brain perceives pain as always being that intense.

I've thought a lot about what he said. I think at times I may do that. Tue, I let the pain get ahead of me and it took 12+ hours before I felt relief. So, Wed and Thur, I was much more aware and quicker to take something (I guess out of fear).....

Next week, is the 3 day training confrence which is madatory issued from the state of Tx...I will go get the Back Joy this weekend. If it allows me to make it thru I will be forever endebted! :)

I felt a little better endurance wise this week, but the crazy thing is, once I feel fatique , I am flat out exhausted, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

Had more blood work for my thyroid levels, waiting to hear the results, my level was 86, he wants it in the 150's. I really believe these 2 issues, go hand in hand. I just wish it didn't ake so long to get there!

Thank you so much for all your support! I try not to get down as I read of others moving on and off all meds. Maybe my journey will be longer, but I am not ready to give up! "I think I can, I think I can!"
  • Well done! Another week under your belt. You did it!

Probably a good thing to see your PM on your worst day for pain.

Good luck next week at the 3 day training.
    Do let me know what you think of the Back Joy. Well worth it, if it gives relief while sitting.

Be patient with yourself. :D
    You had a 360 surgery, and that is the 'big daddy' of them all! We all know that this is going to be a long recovery, and thought we were ready for that, but the time drags so much that it seems much longer.

Think back to how you were when you first got home from hospital.
    Remember the pain!
    Remember the limitations!
    How much help did you need?
    What could you manage to do yourself?

Now then, don't you feel better?

You have come such a long way Shari, there is still quite a road ahead of you, but it is getting less steep and it leads to a wonderful place. The journey will be so worth it. :D

I really miss you on here and our chats. :-(
    I think of you a lot and pray that you will keep moving forward in your recovery. :-)
    You can do it my friend! >:D<

• Thank you Jelly! Indeed I do feel better! You are right! Sometimes it is hard to see the light at the end of tunnel!

I do think, maybe, I expect too much and am too hard on myself.

I miss you so much! I have been so very tired! Maybe we can chat this weekend! I am home all weekend for some R & R!

Thank you for your encouraging words!
  • I'm so sorry you are still having difficulties with your recovery. I'm not on the forum much now with a busy work and pt and normal life activities but think of everyone often and hope everyone is improving. Lynette
    Lynette
  • Just checking on ya. have you been feeling better lately, i hope so.
    you know Recovery Lane is a long road, so just hang in there and just do what you can do, and if you cant do it, put it on the back burner for another day.

take care and my best to you.
advertisement