Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

5 months later and this isn't where I thought I would be!

Comments

• Heya Jim! So great to hear from you! I think of you often and your daughter and look for your posts! I know you just had a CTscan and are waiting for the results! Please let us know what you find out!

This journey is so very long and I have had a hard time keeping my spirits up! If I hadn't had to return to work I would be doing great and basically off all meds........but that isn't the direction of my journey. :(

I really like my pain management doc. He has known me for a long time and remembers "the old" me! When I saw him last week, he told me he thinks I am too hard on myself and don't give myself credit.

I didn't think so at the time, but have been thinking about it a lot, and I think he is right.

So, I have been trying to be more aware of what I can do, and not so much what I can't.

I so wish I didn't have this severe thyroid issue, but I do.

I need to finish PT or design my own program~I know what to do, I have all the equipment.....I don't have the endurance. :(

So, I am going to take it in baby steps. This week, I am in a state mandated training course which will require days of sitting.

I have been scouring the city, trying to find the BAck Joy (in hind site, I should have ordered it off the net~now I think of it!)

All I'm going to ask of myself other than work, is to just get in the pool at the end of each work day! That's it, just get in, anything other than that will be bonus and I am hoping once I get in, I may feel like some exercising.

Are you keeping your spirits up? I know it is so hard! The pain can just become too much! Thurs are my worst days and sometimes, I just want to say, "Can I please just have one day without pain, just one day!" LOL ha!

Hang in there! Thanks for thinking of me! We are all in this together and I don't know what I would do without all of you!
  • Sorry to hear about your thyroid issues and hope they get that under control and get back some energy soon. I hope the Insurance people are fixing up your flood damage also. I had my hot water tank burst shortly after my back injury and it was just awful! I think I should have sued the rental water tank company for stress I had to go through with all that. The Insurance company went after them and I got back some things but some were irreplaceable things I had in the newly renovated basement. It just adds more what I call muscle strain to trying to recover from my injury or in your case your surgery.

Keep up the good work returning to work and concentrating on what you can do and taking it one day at a time and hopefully one day be back to better than before your surgery. Your courage is what keeps us going after all you've been through. Take care and prayers for your continued recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • Awe, thank you for such a sweet message! You really made me smile!

What stress to have a basement flood at the same time as your injury~right when you are feeling your worst! Things like that just seem to be the last straw! :)

I finally found a store that had the Back Joy in stock. I pray that it helps and allows me to get thru this training course. The sales lady had really good things to say about it! If it helps it will be worth it's weight in gold!:)

My health insurance has sent my information on a new program that they are offering that is a support program with 1:1 confidential, personal guidance. They can help with medications, understanding conditions, helping to ask the right questions to the right people and setting goals.

I think I will use it to help me understand about my body not absorbing my thyroid medication and how long to expect it to take to get my levels up. I have a long way to go to get there (from 82 to in the 150's). I have never been through this before, I could use some help! :)

Thanks again for your support! It means the world to me!
  • Charry, sorry to hear about your situation with the hot water tank. at least you got some items replaced, but unfortunally not all especially the items that would have more of a sentimental value, then a monetary value. hope you get some kind of reimbursement for your loss.

Shari, thank you for thinking bout us. my daughter is doing great. she will need at least 1 more surgery but probably 2, but so far we are happy with her progress.
    I had my ct scan done got it on a cd, there's probably 150 pictures on there but im not even gonna guess what im looking at. have to wait 2 weeks to see doctor and let him tell me whats happening, or i can do is tell him how i feel, and what hurts when.

doctor keeps asking me about not driving a truck again, but im 54 y/o and been driving a semi truck for 28 years, so im kinda stuck.
    gonna call work comp. lawyer and tell him i need his opinion about me applying for ssdi, and have him set me up with a lawyer so they can work together on it to make sure i dont lose something i should have coming to me.
    I figure i would get my injury settlement from work comp. ssdi, and i can start my pension early due to a disability,
    dont need health ins. i can get it thru the V.A. so i'll just pay cobra for my daughter, but unfortunally i know my ex will go after a big chunk of my pension.

Sorry to hear about your thyroid issues, but i think thats a female thing, and i could'nt comment on it, just wish you the best of luck, and hope the doctor has you on the right track.

take care and my best to you.
  • I'm interested to know how the Back Joy works for you. Hope you have a easy time at your training sessions.

Take care,

Lisa
  • advertisement
  • That's rotten when the training is compulsory. Hope the Back Joy and meds help you get through those three long days. I guess I was lucky when I was working in that I could postpone some of the training and get out of the really long meetings. Being older, I was able to retire earlier than I'd planned.

I wouldn't do anything more than the pool for now. It should help the muscles to relax a little.

The health insurance support program sounds good - let us know more once you've had a look at what they're offering.

Hope you get the thyroid issue sorted out soon.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Jayhawk,

Just make sure you place it right, then scoot back with it for proper position, otherwise you might think you bought a useless gizmo! It's tempting to just plop on down on it, but it won't position you correctly. Hope you like it!!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• as you start the course today. :-)

Hope that the Back Joy is just that, and helps you sit comfortably.
    Hope that there will be opportunities to get up and move about often.
    As occupational therapists they should understand your needs. :-)

I'll try to find you for a chat either tonight or tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to catching up with you. :D

Take care friend >:D<

• hi Shari,
    I know that I have been out of touch for a while and I was sad to read your post. I know you have been through so much and everyday is painful. I hope that things get better for you soon. Just take it one day at a time.

I hope you get your thyroid results soon and perhaps your doctor can work with you to help stabalize your pain and your mood. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask for help as you get through this recovery period. You went through major surgery, be kind and patient with yourself. You have alot of people who love and care for you, you will get through this eventually and until them we are all behind you cheering you on.

I am sorry to hear of all the other things happening to your home, at times it seems like we never catch a break. I do understand that!!! You have a loving husband and daughter, and together you will get to the other side.

Take it one day at a time, make time for yourself and rejoice in all the good moments and remember the success you have had this far, 6 months from now, even this will seem trivial, you'll see.

I wish you all the very very best.

Love Sandra xx
  • Wanted to reach out to my spiney friends as today has been a rough day. Pain levels are up, most likely the result of going away with my hubby for the weekend and stress.

Had a much needed weekend with the hubby, but over did it. One of those times when a taxi takes you somewhere and you end up walking way too far to get to the second place.

Sat., just stayed in at the hotel with room service and a movie.

Today was the sentencing day for the person involved in my nephews death. My sister in law spoke to make the victims impact statement. There were some details that of his death 4 months ago, that I wasn't fully aware of. I am struggling today, have cried most of the day. I worry about talking to my family about it, afraid that if they aren't thinking about it at that momment and I bring it up, it just brings it to the forefront again. The pain is so intense and I long for one more day with him.....

Thank you for letting me vent. I am praying for a better day!
advertisement