Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Any Canadians out there?

TracyLynneTTracyLynne Posts: 599
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I have learned a lot over the years with "C" and her SCS. What I haven't heard is much talk about it in Canada.

Are any of you having trials in British Columbia? If so, feel free to PM me with information on what kind of red tape you went through to get to that point. I like to know I have options down the road, and my list is getting short!

Thanks.

Tracy
advertisement

Comments

• What's up neighbor! Long time no see here!

"C"
  • Thought it was time to check in and see what's new!
  • advertisement
  • hi tracey,
    ive often wondered where you got to.
    hope you and your family are keeping well.

LOVE P
    OXO
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,299
    Its always a pleasure to see you posting on these boards again.

Not from Canada, but maybe about 9 hours from the border!

Hope all is well
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Yes, I took quite a long hiatus, but figured it was time to see what is new and exciting out there for pain control. You may or may not know that I was lucky enough to meet up, face to face, with "C" in July!! What a great experience - we talked and talked like a couple of little schoolgirls!

Speaking of "C", I was doing a bit of reading on Spinal Cord Stimulators, so thought I'd see if anybody "up here" has had a trial. I found one article about a guy in Eastern Canada, but nothing else. I might have to do some nosing around a few neurosurgeon's offices and see what they have to say.

Take care, and hope you all have a reasonable day!

Tracy

• advertisement
  • I know that SCS is used in Halifax, but that is the only place for testing and use. I have run into a couple of people who have them installed. It depends on the pain and what the exact issue is. In the persons that I spoke to, one was a great candiate and the other - the Nuero told him that he could not do anything. It would be a risk with the surgery and based on the years experience, the Nuro warned him that it would not work. They went ahead with the test and sure enough, in tests - it did nothing-except increase some local pain.

Cheers and a wave
  • I know that SCS is used in Halifax, but that is the only place for testing and use. I have run into a couple of people who have them installed. It depends on the pain and what the exact issue is. In the persons that I spoke to, one was a great candiate and the other - the Nuero told him that he could not do anything. It would be a risk with the surgery and based on the years experience, the Nuro warned him that it would not work. They went ahead with the test and sure enough, in tests - it did nothing-except increase some local pain.

Cheers and a wave
  • Do you happen to know what kind of issues the "good" candidate had? Much of my all-over pain has settled somewhat with Flurbiprofen and Methotrexate, but when my low back/SI area flares up, it is unbearable. Because there is no real surgical "fix", the SCS is something I want to keep in mind.

Tracy
  • I had a visit with my neurosurgeon last week and asked him specifically about SCS implants; turns out he did them 30 years ago in Ottawa when he was a resident, but there isn't funding for them on a regular basis here in B.C.

Has anybody out there, in B.C., been involved in the trials taking place at the University of British Columbia? Has anybody been approved for an SCS through Worker's Compensation/WorkSafe B.C? If so, I'd like to hear from you.

Tracy
  • Other end of the country, here. In NB - they actually only do them at Halifax, in Nova Scotia. Another Province away. There is only one team that I have heard of doing this work.

And AFAIK - it was through Work Comp.

EDIT - I answered - and then looked above, saw my other post. Its been a really busy week, and yeh - I am feeling a little forgetful!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.