Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Would you undergo this experimental surgery to get relief?

Comments

• If it's not an FDA approved procedure, and he's not got an approved research protocol, then yes, it's illegal. You just can't go around randomly experimenting on people.

But, if it is approved, or there is a protocol, then it's legal. He might just have not explained it properly. And it might be that you'd have to pay out of pocket because medicare does not pay for experimental procedures (I know some of them are not funded in later phases, and get insurance to pay).

You could find out from FDA whether he is doing any clinical trials, maybe? Or just ask him for more information?
  • I'm not going to bother to ask him any more about it, because I'm not going to have it done. I'll be seeing a new spine surgeon on the 31st, so I'll wait to talk to him and see what he has to offer. Maybe mention this experiment (but no names) and ask for his spin on it.
  • advertisement
  • Howdy BBB,

FDA is not one of my areas, but given that he is giving you the details (sort of?) and too advising it is experimental, I do not believe it would be deemed illegal, and too if something went wrong, of course *you* would suffer for it, but too I do not believe that absolves him of liability in so far as malpractice is concerned. He also would have "less footing" in court *since* it isn't FDA approved!!

Sometimes 'experiments' are used to save lives everyday in the ER OR! My 'wing' thing is an experiment! <-- That has failed it seems. :) Now is it ethical, yes and no. I would say no in that he expects YOU to pay for HIS experiment! If I were a doctor, and wanted to see if my thoughts for a fix could work, I would offer it at my expense! But that is just me thinking out of the box BBB!!! I agree with your decision if that helps?<br />
    Does that mean I would go to another doctor over this? No, not necessarily. If my relationship with my doctor is otherwise what I am happy with, and I trust him/her, then I would stay the course. Like anything, we have to take all of the ingredients to decide if we like the taste! :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
This discussion has been closed.