Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

what do you do all day

advertisement

Comments

• Jon, I'm sorry you have to carry the burden with all the pain you are in. You are the only other person I've heard of (besides myself) to hear that you have to stop your car while driving and walk around a bit before getting back in it. For that reason, I haven't driven in over 2 years...I even let my license expire b/c it was no use.

Charry, I didn't know you were a nurse...I am as well. I have wondered many times how I could ever get a job being on these narcotics! Even if I could psysically do the job, how could I get past the drug testing? My limitations are no sitting, standing or walking for 20-30 minutes at a time though so I can't work...but have thought about this issue.
  • I spent a lot of time on my back with my knees bent, and my laptop on my lap so I could surf the web. Then I made myself get up and go for walks every day. Best to try and stay on even ground -- up and down hill weren't too fun for my spine. Just getting outside helps a lot. Now I'm back to work. I still get up at least once every hour -- walk the dog three times a day -- I'm pretty much recovered, but I did have a three level spinal fusion along the way.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • advertisement
  • Sorry to hear that you have so much on your shoulders.As for me I do not work,my doc thought maybe after surgery but now it is out of the question. I cant sit for long without my legs going numb and cannot stand for more than 5 minutes without severe pain in back and legs. My case is a WC and am waiting for decision on SSDI. I would give anything to go back to work!! I have two college degrees and $15,000 in student loans to pain off. I have reach MMI at 75% PD so a settlement is in the works per my lawyer, interested in seeing what they offer but do not have to take it if I dont want too.Luckely my hubby makes enough for us to servive because WC is always playing with the rate I get.I want to go back but honestly I really couldn't do it.-kathy
  • I dont want to hijack this thread, keep it short, i'm in same boat as you.
    I'm also work comp. and i applied for ssdi last week online, i talked to my comp. lawyer first so he would know whats up.
    Comp lawyer also set me up with a ss lawyer, and i go see him tomorrow, to start getting some help with dealing with the ss people.
    I also have the same pain issues as you, and i deal with a lot of people when i worked, which i do miss,but have to face reality.
  • one more thing
    i worry all day about my wife getting a job. were on my salary as a teacher and her unemployment check. i also worry bout how can i get more good looking than i am now? it's hard to be perfect
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • I work, same reasons, I got a long way to go before I can even think retirement. My second son starts college next year, we got "stuff" constantly raining down on us. My oldest sons books for this semester, he's a junior in mechanical engineering, his books, USED cost over $1,000! One used calc book alone was $208!
    I sometimes do the math until I can retire and just want to scream. It is stinking pathetic to spend your days wanting to go home, waiting for something that is probably a good 18 years away to happen.

Just Like Ron, I find I feel better and suffer less pain at home. I spend way to many hours on the computer at work, but have cut back to almost zero at home!

How'd I spend some of my days off this summer? Well, for fun I cut up a 1965 Rambler Ambassador with a sawzall...actually felt better doing that then sitting here at work. I can only manage about 3 hours a day of careful manual labor. My neighbor hauled away the remaining chunks. A lot of it is being kept for the convertible version I am hotrodding. If I can keep ahead of the rust :(

I have been working all day this week then going home and building a "cell" for Shadow, who is living up to his name! He is fearless and will jump over a 3' porch rail to the ground 9' below without a whimper. So, I am constructing a floor to ceiling "cell" on the back porch to keep him safe till he hopefully outgrows his foolish puppy behavior!
    We sure don't want to see him injured and he just doesn't have an ounce of fear of heights in him. Let me tell you, trying to build the enclosure after all day here at work just plain sucks.

I'm so sorry to hear of some of the ways people have to spend their days. I hope all of us has a good day soon.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.