Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Scar swelling and pain 10 months post fusion - paranoia!

Comments

• I am so sorry you are having to go thru this! I can really empathise with you.

I think it is a good thing that they are doing blood work to find out if and what type of an infection you may have. They way they can be sure of the antibiotic they give you.

I will pray that it is something easy to take care of and that when it is corrected you have less pain!

Try to take it easy and rest! I know it is easy to say....

Hang in there! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
  • Thanks Jay. How's your foot? Didn't you have a load of minor incidents immediately post op? Didn't we joke you needed bubble wrap or was that someone else? I wonder if bad luck just follows us spineys around or if it just feels that way!!
  • advertisement
  • Nel,

My friend, I am so sorry this recovery continues to be such a burden for you. I had to have surgical intervention from an infection after an L4/5 laminectomy in 2006. It was not fun, but I was amazed how much better I felt (all over) and my surgical area healed so much fast after it was all cleaned out and restitched. It did delay my return to work by 2 or 3 weeks. But it was worth it. I hope this is not a road you have to travel. But if you do, we will all hold your hand in spirit :)

Best Always,
    Traci

• Yea, that was me~we joke that orthos love me , I keep their practice going....I feel like Linus in the Peanuts with a big dark cloud above me.

I broke a couple bones in my foot and torn the ligament...Hopefully it will heal being taped and in the walking boot! If not, it may have to be casted and I will just cry. I go back and see him in 10 days.

When I get tired I get so clumbsy and I drag my foot, tripping. The doc did tell me to be careful as did my surgeon. If only it was that easy! I really do need the bubble wrap! If anyone has any ideas.....

Thinking of you! I feel so bad you are going thru this. At least the weekend is here! I hope it is restful for you! gentle hug! xxxx
  • I thought that was you Jay! Bubble wrap,indeed. I hope you heal correctly and quickly.

Traci - thanks for your encouragement. I have to say I sort of hope that this is the reason that I have plateaued (sp?) in my recovert. Maybe that is why I am so tired all the time too? I hope that it can all get sorted soon so that I can start seeing more up days than down weeks! How are you getting on? Are you feeling any better? I hope so.

Have a good weekend all, I plan to catch up on my sleep!
  • advertisement
  • Jay- sending more bubble wrap your way. Hopefully it works! No more falls and damage, please.

Jelly- sorry to hear about the infection. Can you tape gauze rolled up around the infection site? it would keep your clothes off the actual infection. Good luck to you.
  • I suppose rolled up gauze would have been a good idea! Fortunately the antibiotics have stopped the soreness quite quickly and now, while still tender, I can actually have things near it!
    But now it has burst and so my back is leaking again! So I guess I am back to having some sort of dressing on it again. Boo. It will be 11 months since my surgery on the 16th of September - I am getting pretty tired of all this now.
    I have made a batch of spiced plum, ginger and yoghurt muffins to cheer me up!
  • I hope that you are having a good weekend.

It sounds like things are looking up for you :-)
    as it seems that your infection is getting under control now. The fact that it has burst is probably a good thing, as it will allow the infection to leak out. #:S

The spiced plum, ginger and yoghurt muffins sound yummy! :P
    I have picked a load of plums and would be interested to try the recipe. I wonder if you could PM it to me. :D
    I hope that they do the job and manage to cheer you up.

Sounds like you are getting over your latest hurdle. This is definately a long race with lots of different sized hurdles along the way.
    >:D<
  • Nel,

The muffins sound good, the infection and leaking back, not so much!! How in god's name do you get an infection so long after surgery. The whole suture thing sounds suspicious! LOL I think everything said to me by a member of the medical community is suspicious!! I hope this jolts your recovery back into forward progress.

I am getting by with the help of medication. 6 different ones to be exact. It's pitiful. I am working and doing what I can do to lead as normal life as possible. I have restricted myself to 10lb limit on lifting and keep the bending and twisting to a minimum. My surgeon just told me to do whatever and limited my lifting to 30lbs. I don't listen to him anymore. I know my body way better than he does. I am being sensible.

My pain mgt team is great but I don't want to be managed, I want to be well. Mild pain would make my day. Sad, huh?

Best Wishes,
    Traci

• Hi Traci,

Sorry to hear you are still suffering :(

I have read about these infections on the net and apparently they can "lurk" inside you for up to two years! Also the hardware gets a rough coating on it so bacteria stick to it - I hope that it isn't my hardware though and is just a stitch. I guess I will know more on Thursday. It is the not knowing what is going to happen next that is getting to me know, that and the itching caused by the dressing ;)

Keep listening to your body - you are totally right you do know best. These docs haven't got a clue sometimes!

advertisement