Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Endoscopic Lysis of Adhesions

sleeprgirlssleeprgirl Posts: 679
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Today I had a caudal endoscopic Lysis of Adhesions and a SI joint block. I'm now 9 months postop PLIF L4-5, and found out 2.5 months ago there was little fusion noted on the xray. What the xray did show was a significant amount of scar tissue. My pain has been so intense, and the last month had worsened.

I finally decided that I was tired of trying to manage my own pain, and sought out help from this PM Doc.

He made a small incision in the caudal area and directed an endoscopy to the area of scarring. He injected dye and IV fluid to try to break up the scarring, and then injected some hyalauronic acid to soften the scarred area that he could not break up. This was done under moderate sedation, and I was fairly comfortable throughout the procedure.

Right before the procedure my pain was an 8, and both my feet were densely numb.

Three hours later, the area is painful, but my numbness has improved some. I was told it may take up to 3 weeks to know the final outcome, and I will have the procedure one more time, to break up the softened scar tissue in a few weeks.

Even though I'm still dealing with an unstable spine due to the fusion issues, hopefully I will have just a little relief from the severe pain. I'm praying hard for success!!!

Please send some prayers my way...the past two months have been miserable.

Thanks guys!! :-)

Lisa
advertisement

Comments

• I'm so happy to hear a good chunk of your pain might finally be resolving! You're good people, and I know you have been hurting a lot. Fingers crossed this continues to improve! *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Before we realized that my damage was significant enough to warrent a fusion, this procedure was something we were considering.

At the time, over a year ago, it was not covered by my insurance (BC&BS~POS). We were considering paying cash. Is your insurance covering this? I hope so!

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! What a blessing this could be!

Wishing you a restful and relaxing weekend with minimal pain!

Hang in there! Shari
  • advertisement
  • sent ya pm. :H
  • Brenda and Shari,

Thank you for the support. I was starting to think there was no hope for me...time will tell, but it is certainly an emotional boost to have an advocate involved in your care.

Shari, I do not have a clue about the insurance coverage. One would hope that information would be disclosed before having the procedure. Early this AM, we discussed that I've met my deductible for the year...heck, for the next 10 years. Well...it's done now, and absolutely medically necessary. I had to have it done, the scar tissue was extensive, and covering 3 levels. If its not covered, I won't be able to have the second procedure, but I will cross that bridge soon enough. Thanks for the heads up!

Jim..back at ya with the PM!!

Lisa
  • This procedure sounds promising and I very much hope that the extensive scar tissue can be broken up.

Hoping you can get some relief from your pain soon.

>:D<

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • advertisement
  • sleeprgirl I hope you will get better. Treatment you got is very rare and very advanced. Keep us updated.
  • Lisa,
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I do hope you will get some relief from these procedures. Best of luck to you and wishing you painfree days ahead.
    Jan
  • I am so glad to hear that this is working for you. I have been posting similar comments and results under the heading of "Epidural Lysis of Adhesions". Essentially, I had the same procedure as you did. The first time around it helped a little. The second time seems to have had a lasting effect. I have one more round in mid-September and then I need to take a 3 month break (They can only do it 3 times in a 6 month period).

I'm praying that you have increasingly pleasant results with each visit!!

Dave
  • Thank you Trish and Jan...I had so lost hope for ever having decreased pain. It was impossible for me to think of anything but the pain/numb extremities and other symptoms. I could not even go out for lunch without being miserable. It felt like a prison sentence.

Now there is a ray of hope. At least for this issue. I still have to deal with the non fusion, but I'm wearing my bone stimulator and using nutritional support as well.

Keano...I agree with you. This is a technically advanced procedure, and my Dr. does have extensive experience, with good results.

Dave...I'm so glad to here about your good results. Hooray!! Let me know how the third round works for you. Did they use hyalauronic acid during your procedures, and did it work to soften the scarring when they went in the second time?

I think that it is key to have an accurate and quick diagnosis where scarring is involved. The longer it remains around the nerve root, the tougher the scarring becomes, and of course, the more probability for permenant neuropathy.

My surgeon never told me about the scarring when I saw him on 6/1. This PM doctor viewed those films, and was able to make the diagnosis.

The moral to me: When your pain or symptoms remain severe, and you have no diagnosis or treatment plan, get a second opinion...it could be the difference in existing and a more joyful life.

Lisa
  • Hooray! I am so happy for you! YaY!! :)

I so, agree, if the pain is horrible, keep searching to find the answer! Our bodys know!

So happy for you Lisa! :)
advertisement