Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anyone with any 360 advice?

Comments

• 6 months ago, yesterday, was my 360. While I heard my surgeon say initally 6-12 months and then after surgery said 12-18 months, I thought....hmmm, not ME!

But, I have learned that this is a long journey and it seems everyone has some sort of bump along the road. My surgeon was great with telling me it would happen and to try not to get too upset, as it is expected.....

This forum has been a life saver, I don't know if I could do it without everyone here!

With a 360, it is difficult to move at first. I kept the head of my bed elevated. I was in the hospital for 6 nights. Before the surgery, I bought an elevating wedge pillow at bed, bath and beyound, as well as satin sheets to help with bed mobility.

I don't have a recliner, so that I can't speak to.

I had a ton of abdominal swelling and still do. I tried to plan ahead and bought some clothes a size bigger and baggy. But, they weren't big enough, so I had to sent hubby out for bigger so I could leave the hospital! LOL :)

I still am in a size bigger which makes me very sad, but I am trying. I had my thyroid out years ago and as a result of my 360, my body stopped absorbing my medication. My level was 62 and they want it in the 150's.....

I had my own bone graph and it is a big source of pain now, but my surgeon prefers it and I trust him....without it, you should have less pain!

Feel free to ask any questions! We are here to support you on your journey!
  • I am a realist so hearing my docs sugarcoat everything has been nightmarish while trying to figure out what to expect. I KNOW it's going to be rough & that snags are inevitable. Seeing the ideas that recovery can be as little as 3 months seems fairy tale. 2 years seems obscene to me as well because I am such an active and strong willed person. I hope things go well.

I have been preparing like crazy. I am NOT a recliner type of person but I bought one today. After my microdiscectomy I found that the position I was able to get into with most comfort mimics what I can get into with a recliner but make no bones about it--as soon as I am "better" it's gone lol.

Thank you for the support and for sharing your ideas!
  • advertisement
  • Sitting is still torture for me, but I can get into a relatively comfortable position in my recliner with my phone by my side and my laptop on a little work surface that sits on my lap. This has allowed me to work ~6 hours per day very consistently.

Without my recliner, I would be lost!

Best wishes with your surgery!
  • but my surgeon said that recovery would be around 2/3 years and the first year would be bloody awful.and in his words ..you will hate me and wonder why i had it done ...but it will be worth it in the long run ..you must find an excellent surgeon to do your operation as this is a major operation and not all surgeons are skilled enough to give a good result .so get recomendations .i know that you dont live in the uk so theres no point in giving you the name of my surgeon .but good luck finding one and keep us informed
    tony
  • It sounds like we'll be a few months apart, so I'll be watching your recovery with interest!

My surgeon said 6-9 months recovery, no idea why the difference. I'll let you know when I find out more.

I hope to be getting mine soon.
  • advertisement
advertisement