I've been diagnosed with DDD at L5-S1 and L4-L5. L3-L4 is mild as far as DDD is concerned. Fusion at L5-S1 and possibly L4-L5 has been recommended.
I've been thru the gammit of conservative treatments i.e. PT epidurals, facet injections etc...
Meds taken are vicodin and flxeril at least twice a day.
I'm not allowed to take vicodins at work so I have to fight thru the pain to quitting time.
I cannot sit or stand for over 30 mins. which makes traveling to my job and performing my job difficult. I have a desk job.
I'm at a point where I have to make the decision of having suergery or not. My biggest concern is L3-L4. It's my understanding that having a fusion will increase the stress at that level and I'm afraid if I have the recommended fusion, I'll wind up needing L3-L4 fused. Then where does it end?
I've been on short term disability twice in the past 2 years. The pain improves to where it's more tolerable, but when I returned to work after 2 month's, the pain begin to increase again.
Have surgery or go on permenant disability?
Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.