Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Laminectomy Results???

Jason BJJason B Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been living with stenosis/sciatica pain for about 2 years. Never have taken a pill for it and have tried exercises and inversion tables with little success.

I am tired of the pain and the below the watse numbness. My doctor is wanting to do a laminectomy ASAP to relieve the pain and let the nerves breath. This is L3-5 with no fusion and what he calls minimally invasive.

I am scared to death of back surgery and wanted some input. What is your results with this procedure, how long ago was it?

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• There are many different things that can be done and still be called a laminectomy. Almost all involve removal of some bone in some place. I would get this clarifed from your surgeon so you know, within reason, what he is planning on doing and how the bone removal is going to impact the structure of your spine.

I had one done in 99' and was very happy with the results. It took all my pain away. It is my opinion and experience that you need to understand that your back has issues prior to having surgery done and that surgery may, or may not, impact your spine going forward. I went back to doing everything I was doing prior to the surgery and for me it was a mistake as I needed more surgery in 06'. I would protect my back at all costs if I were starting over. No more lifting, twisting and bending to any large degree. Your spine structure most likely will be weaker. You need to have a long talk with your surgeon. Almost all surgeons will give you the go ahead to go back to what you were doing prior to your surgery. I'm not going to flat out say they are wrong but I'm going to flat out say they were wrong for me.

Spinal surgery is a business and if a surgeon gave you, or told you it was not a good idea to go back to what your were doing, or what you want to do, most people would not have the surgery done. A surgeon is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't in reguards to saying yay, or nay, to surgery. The don't want to scare John Q Public away from something they need to have done and if they tell someone that they shouldn't go back to doing stuff that is exactly what will happen.

Get educated on the procedure that your surgeon wants to do and then make your decision based on what is said. I also would never have surgery without having a second opinion done by a Fellowship trained surgeon.

• with Bkins - you need more specifics. I was offered a "decompressive laminectomy" which was exactly as described above; removes bone compressing nerves & nerve roots and gives them "room". The problem is, it definitely makes your spine weaker (the bone is there for protection of the spinal cord and for strength and stability of the spine) and I would have trouble trusting any surgeon who tells you otherwise without discussing that this treatment approach really is a compromise.
  • advertisement
  • Well the surgery was pushed back to Oct. 12th. I talked to my doc more last night and he did confirm my back would technically be weaker.

I asked him about the possibility of having to do a fusion later and he said I have a risk of that, but it is a low risk. He stressed losing weight and getting my core stronger would have a huge impact on my future needs.
  • Had a laminectomy in May of 2009 for siatica. It worked great. No more pain and I could finally sleep through the night.

Fast forward to July 2010. I under went fusion at L5-S1 and laminectomies at L2, L3 and L4. The laminectomies were supposed to relieve my tingling in both feet, left foot drop, weakness in my legs, and numbness in my right leg. So for only the numbness in right leg has subsided. However, the right leg has only been a problem sine Jan 2010, everything else is from injury in Sept 2008. SO maybe the newest injury responds first, and maybe the rest will in time.

Good luck,

Matt
  • Hi,
    I'm learning very quickly here that most people know that they have a serious back problem before they need surgery.

I didn't. Juvenile rhumatoid Arthritis had me pretty used to pain and I thought the sciatica was just a continuation of arthritis hip pain...

My emergency surgery... hmmmm... I believe what I told the surgeon was "I don't care what you do to me, you can light me on fire and roll me down a hill if you want to, if you tell me the agony will stop and I can walk & feel again..."

I don't really know what all I had, or what they did to me, but I do know now that the "hip" pain was the disk pushing on my sciatic... I think. It was really painful for years. Like, a major struggle for me. But... in my idiocy I didn't want to go back to the rhumatologist, in my defense my kiddo had developed uveitis very very badly, and I didn't exactly have time to worry about myself.

Anyhow, I CAN tell you that the pinch on my sciatic is gone. I wish I had known what was wrong with me and had a controlled surgery before my back went to H E double hockey sticks.

I don't have the sciatica pain now.
    Best of luck,
    Becca
  • advertisement
  • MJMcDevitt said:
    Had a laminectomy in May of 2009 for siatica. It worked great. No more pain and I could finally sleep through the night.

Fast forward to July 2010. I under went fusion at L5-S1 and laminectomies at L2, L3 and L4. The laminectomies were supposed to relieve my tingling in both feet, left foot drop, weakness in my legs, and numbness in my right leg. So for only the numbness in right leg has subsided. However, the right leg has only been a problem sine Jan 2010, everything else is from injury in Sept 2008. SO maybe the newest injury responds first, and maybe the rest will in time.

Good luck,

Matt
    Was your 2009 laminectomy the same are are your 2010 surgery? Or did the 2009 surgery do the trick for that area?
  • The 2009 surgery was the trick for the siatica. The 2010 surgery was for completely different problems.

Matt
advertisement