Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Infuse BMP without cage

melto9mmelto9 Posts: 74
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone had the INFUSE used on them without the cage. After 4 years I just found out that my Dr. did not do the procedure he told me he was going to do. Is that legal. He used plastic spacers. What is to keep that INFUSE bmp from leaking out?
advertisement

Comments

• I did. The infuse is just a protein placed on a sponge in the area. They leave the outer ring of the disc in place and pack it with the spacer, bmp sponge, and ground bone paste. I didn't have plastic spacers, my surgeon used cadaver bone.

Dave
  • HE SEES FIT ONCE HE OPENS YOU UP, THINGS IN 3D REAL TIME LOOK DIFFERENT THEN ON MRI/FILMS, ETC.
    I SAY THIS BECAUSE I AM JUST OVER ONE MONTH POST OP ANTERIOR LUMBAR FUSION & TOO HAD A VERY DIFFERENT PROCEDURE, THEN WHAT WAS "PLANED" DOC DID SAY PRE OP, HE WOULD HAVE MANY SIZES & OPTIONS AT THE SURGERY.
    I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE CHANGES DURING MY 3 WEEK POST OP VISIT, THERE WERE XRAYS TAKEN. HE NEVER MENTIONED IT DURING MY 5 DAY HOSPITAL STAY.
    I HAD ALIF, WAS TI HAVE TALL TITANIUM CAGE, HIP GRAFT, WITH BMP, 2-3 SCREWS, ROD & METAL PLATE.
    INSTEAD HE DID A LARGE WEDGE, PLACED VERY FAR POSTERIOR, PEEK CAGE, 3 SCREWS WITH HIP GRAFT & BMP.
    INITIALLY I WAS SCARED TO DEATH, ON ALIF, FROM ALL I'VE LEARNED U NEED AUGMENTATION WITH PED SCREWS IN BACK OR THE "FULL FRONTAL" WITH THE USE OF ROD & PLATE.
    TRIED NOT TO PANIC, DID RESEARCH BUT COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING THAT INDICTED WHAT HE DID, NOTHING! SCARED ME TO DEATH. I FIGURED, WILL DISCUSS ON MY NEXT APPT OCT 11. IN THE MEANTIME, O HAD A VISIT WITH THE VASCULAR SURGEON WHO DID THE APPROACH & CLOSURE, FIGURED NO HURT IN ASKING HIM, HE IS A SUPER DOC AND VERY EASY TO TALK TO, MY NS, IS VERY MUCH THE OPPOSITE. VASCULAR SAID THAT WHAT MY NS & HE DID WAS AN AMAZING PROCEDURE, HE ALSO SAID THAT HE DOESNT CARE FOR THE ANTERIOR PLATES, PREFERS BACK AUGMENTATION. BUT WHAT MY PROCEDURE DID ELIMINATED THE NEED FOR EITHER.
    SORRY FOR MY LONG HISTORY, BUT THE SURGEON GOES IN WITH A PLAN, BUT ONCE THEY GET IN THERE, THEY OFTEN CHANGE THE. GAME PLAN FOR YOUR BENEFIT, I AM SURPRIZED THAT IT TOOK SO LONH FOR YOU TO BE INFORMED OF THE CHANGE. LEGALLY, I DON'T KNOW, ARE YOU HAVING COMPLICATIONS, DUE TO THE DIFFERENT PROCEDURE. WE SHOULD ASSUME THE DOC HAS OUR BEST INTEREST IN MIND
  • advertisement
  • Yes, I absolutely have a problem with the change- he never mentioned that to me. He told me what he was doing with a titanium cage and for 4 years I thought that was what I had. I had a terrible reaction- swelling and excrutiating pain right after surgery. Doc was on vacation by then- failed to tell me.I am still not out of pain and soon have to have L-4 done. as an add on fusion.
This discussion has been closed.