Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post-op ACDF 5-6

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,362
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
It's been two days since my surgery so I know the pain is to be expected. The problem I'm dealing with is a lack of sufficient pain meds. I'm just wondering if this sounds like adequate doses to you all.

Zofran 4mg (1) every six hours
Robaxin 750mg (1) every eight hours
Percocet 5-325 (1) every six hours

I only have enough to last about ten days. These meds really help the pain but they wear off in less than 3 hours. I just wondered if these meds are the 'normal' after this surgery?

Thanks all.
Debbie
advertisement

Comments

• Howdy Ms Debbie!!! :)

Each doctor is different. Mine on my C5/6 gave me Percocet (forgot the strength) 1 every 4 hours. For my C6/7 he gave me Darvocet..same 1 every 4 hours. Later of course, Lyrica. I still have Darvocet for the bad days. Mine also only gave me enough for about 2 weeks since my first post op for both with him was like around day 8-10. He then extended the script for another 2 weeks - I didn't use many of them. After week two, my pain (both surgeries) was significantly reduced. :)

Remember, you *just* came out of surgery. Most of the pain now is "acute" induced by the surgery, and hopefully will be backing down soon. Okay? *HUG*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    I haven't heard of the first 2. But 5mg of percocet should be every 4 hrs. But like you say, it only lasts 3 hrs. Now if you were on meds before, for the chronic pain. Then it's a different story. I think you would need the meds you were on plus meds for the new pain from surgery. But that has been my experience. And you would need to call your Dr. and discuss it with him. In modern day medicine I can't see any reason for a surgery patient to suffer!
    You know the old saying, Ask and you shall receive. Don't ask and you'll get nothing!
    Good luck,Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • advertisement
  • I agree call your doc, I don't know about the others, but the percocet is very modest and cou;d be increased if needed. No sense in suffering if you don't have too.

take care
    AL S
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,362
    I was taking the zofran for the nausea the percocets gave me. The zofran made me feel bad and the percocets weren't helping so I said to heck with it. It wasn't worth feeling sick all the time. I do still take some of the Robaxin for muscle spasms (and sometimes a Lortab 5-500).

The nurse called me from the surgeons office Monday and asked if there was anything I'd like to tell the doctor. I asked if he could give me something better for muscle spasms and she said "they should begin to ease up soon". I thought, Ok, what'd you call me for???

It's all good though. It's getting better all the time. Walking is the best relief I've found. Sitting is the worst because it lets the muscles stiffen up.
    Everyone is right when they say you'll have good days and bad days. Some days I think this isn't bad at all, the next I'm thinking what the heck?? lol. It's easy to do things I probably shouldn't on the good days and that probably contributes to the bad days. hehe.

Thanks for thinking of me. So far, so good.

Debbie
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    doing the things that you know you shouldn't. You know from experience it's gonna make you hurt. And you don't want to blow out a adjacent disc!
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • advertisement
  • The spasms will get better over time. I will echo Jim. Don't overdue!!! Let your body heal, okay? Glad to see you are coming along well. *HUGZ*

Brenda
    Yes I know you're right. I am very careful about what I do and I don't lift or pull at anything.

It's nice weather here now and I can spend a lot of time outside walking. The leaves are beautiful and it seems strange for me to actually be taking the time to look at them!

Sitting is the worst for me because I can never get my neck comfortable and the muscles just keep tightening up so it's best for me to keep moving.

Hope you have a nice day Jim.
    Debbie
    Yes the spasms are already much better than at first. I'm wondering if I'll ever be free of them altogether. I have always had super tight/knotty neck and shoulder muscles and I don't think this surgery is gonna magically make them go away do you? When I first get up or go out to walk I catch myself with my head going forward and my muscles drawing up. I keep telling myself to pull my shoulders back and relax those muscles but end up slumped over again! I'm thinking a posture support brace would be good...what do you think? This surgery seems to have helped but like my surgeon said my spine isn't great and I can just see the other levels going faster now if I don't "straighten up" in more ways than one. lol.

Debbie
  • Howdy Debbie,

Hopefully over time your spasms will go down considerably! From years of flying helicopters and wearing helmets, my posture stinks! Like you, I tend to lean more forward than I should. I'm not sure if a brace is the answer, and this close to surgery, not sure if I would go that route without a clear okay from the doctor!! I just work on telling myself "sit/walk straight" and it seems to help.

I hear and understand your concerns. My spine is not my best bud for sure! I got fused and a year and a month, and bling out goes the next level. I go 5-6 months after that surgery, bling goes another level! Won't even mention the other areas. We just have to work with the spine we have Debbie, not fun, but have to work with it the best we can. :)

Brenda
    Yep. You're right about that. I'm lucky in that my spine isn't nearly as bad as some. I have a large family- four brothers and five sisters and each of us have spinal problems of one kind or another so it's somewhat hereditary too.

Have you ever heard of anyone having like 'hot flashes' during recovery? I don't have a temperature but I break out in a sweat quite regularly it seems! I was blaming it on pain pills but haven't taken any today so I don't think that's it. Not really a problem just kind of aggravating. Just wondered if you or anyone else had something like this?

Thanks
    Debbie
advertisement