Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Two weeks & 2 days post 2-level PLIF

Comments

• thats fantastic your improving so nicely, gosh must n feel wonderfull when your having a good day. its only natural that youve had some post op , not so good pain so early in your recovery, think its par for the course, hey. well your doing great , so happy for you
    please dont push it too much, but can understand when your feeling so great , that you want to get back into life, its frustrating to not do that , but please be carefull, baby steps for awhile hey
    flower :)
  • Don't forget you might have layers of stitches inside that you cannot see. Your outside ones might be fine but you can tear the inside layers, setting you up for scar tissue, that can then bind your nerves for some more pain and suffering.
    No reason to hurry, even if you feel better, you want the repair to last.....
  • advertisement
  • Yesterday was a busy day for me and I wasn't on the computer until evening. Just now saw all your kind and encouraging responses. What a great bunch of friends you all are. You give me such a boost with your kindness!

CMELLET--Thanks so much for the heads-up on the possibility of internal stitches. I never even gave that a thought. I do know that the muscles in my back which were filleted (for lack of the proper medical term) off my spine were sewn together when closing me up. My incision is about 8" long so there are quite a few loose muscles in there that don't know what to do with themselves until they heal back down. I want them to heal properly so I need to keep them in mind when I'm feeling invincible.

SueD--Thanks so much for your encouraging words and just the kick in the rear that I needed about doing too much. I have difficulty knowing what I can and cannot do--or what I should and should not do. Prior to my fusion I asked my surgeon about restrictions on activities post-op and he said I could do pretty much whatever I felt like doing. I swear, that's what he said and when I was discharged I was given the bare minimum of instructions--be careful of bending or twisting and don't lift anything over 10 lbs. With that in mind, I started driving as soon as my head cleared enough from all the meds given in the hospital. I never go out after just having taken heavy duty pain meds, like oxy--I wait at least 2 hours and check my reflexes and clarity of thinking before I do go, then I only go on errands that really can't wait, like taking myself to the hospital for the CT scan, etc. I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a setback after making a mistake while driving. I should probably not be driving even the little bit that I am because the brace feels so restrictive and I'm never perfectly comfortable in the car seat so am continually trying to adjust how I'm sitting to get more comfortable. Every time I do, it feels like I'm pulling on my back the wrong way. Don't know what stupid thing you did but I also know that if I was in any kind of a fender-bender I'd be in trouble this early in my recovery. Thanks so much for taking the time to admonish me--it shows you care and I appreciate you so much for that!

PollyR--Thanks for caring and giving me a nudge to be good. You're already a great encouragement to those of us here on the forum. We hope to be as much encouragement to you, too!

Virginia--I think your back brace sounds perfect. Wish mine was made like that. Mine is a full, hard plastic, thoraco-lumbar brace which is front and back that fit together with velcro straps that I cinch down along the length of it. It's claustrophobic and even thought it was custom-made for me it initially came up under my chin whenever I sat down, it was heavy and pushed on my lower back, etc. Have had it adjusted 3 times and it is now tolerable which is a good thing since my surgeon is set on me wearing it until my next xray in 4 weeks! Thanks so much for your kind note.

Charry--Thanks for your caring reply--it's great to have a nurse who's watching of you! My little Dyson (6 lbs) isn't self-propelled but it runs easily on a ball and is so lightweight that I truly don't think I'm putting my back at risk by using it. I do make sure I have my brace on when I vacuum, though. As I mentioned above, my surgeon never gave me a list of do's and don'ts--he said I could do pretty much whatever I felt like. That was before he knew that my bones were soft and that I'd end up in a brace, but he never said any differently so I'm left to determine what is safe for my back. Hope I'm doing the right things but I do know I've overdone it a few times already. Am going to give it my best effort to be good and no go buzzing around like a busy bee just because I can!

Flower--Thanks so much for your caring note. Like PollyR, you're already showing such a sweet and supportive attitude here on the forum. You're going to be a great asset to all of us when we're hurting. I hope we can also be as good a support to you!

Again, thanks to each of you who took the time to write and give me advice. I've taken several points to heart and will be modifying my activities accordingly. You're all the best! I wish each of you a pain-free day! :)
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled