Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Question about nerve pain meds

advertisement

Comments

• Dino, for more help you might want to start your own topic under "chronic pain." We all use many methods to control pain and our tools might help.

When you say your pain is 12-15, that's out of what? usually we use a 0-10 point scale. It's tempting to believe that if you have severe pain you must be a level 10, but actually 8-10 are usually used severe pain, with 10 being pain that is completely disabling.

Other people use a visual scale or faces scale, whatever works for you.

As for meds, I take Cymbalta and just recently stopped taking Topamax for nerve pain. I also have both long acting and rescue opiates. I would say that the nerve pain meds are most effective, if you can find one that works for you.

NSAIDS can be helpful as well, although many of us have found that prolonged treatment causes permanent damage to the stomach- I know I am one of many who can no longer take NSAIDS at all.

And finally, physical therapy can be very effective! Not all helps come in the form of a pill.
  • I take Cymbalta also and it helps with my nerve pain in my leg as well as heat and ice. Also muscle relaxants like Flexeril helps me and Voltaran. I hope you get into see the Drs soon and ask them to put you on a cancellation list in case something comes up sooner. Aqua therapy with your Physiotherapist may help also. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement