Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain Meds

davedave Posts: 860
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Chronic Pain
It seems to be a common thread on this site that some members seem to run out of their prescriptions before the next refill. I shake my head ruefully when I read these. There is no reason why anyone should ever run out of their drugs. Lets take a simple example:

Your Doctor prescribes you 120 Lortabs for the month. That means you can take a maximum of 4 pills a day. I know, some of you are going to chime in and tell me that my Doctor doesn't prescribe me enough for the entire month. The only thing I can say is, too bad! Your only options are to curb your activities to reduce your pain, suck it up, get your Doctor to prescribe more, or find some other method to reduce your discomfort. It is not up to you to change your dosage except when lowering it, and even then you should inform your Doctor. This is abuse and hurts all of us.

I've been taking my crap for well over 3 years. I know what its like to watch the clock for the next dose, I do it every day. I count my pills every week to make sure I don't screw up. In my 3 years, I've had my jacket stolen that had one dose and I've lost probably 3 pills down the drain. When this happens, I'm screwed. At some point in time I have to adjust my dose down to account for the loss. Note, I do the adjustment, not my Doctor. If you screw up, then you have to pay the price. My scripts are like gold to me and I treat and respect them like that.

Dave
advertisement

Comments

• Dave,

Well said, well said! Couldn't agree more! So far in all these years (knocking on wood) I've yet to run out, nor have them stolen. I guess what frustrates me more than one 'running out' is inconsistent stories or excuses (not their bad - the doctors right?) to their being short on meds.

I think of late, it is like a school teachers hears all the reasons why the homework wasn't done! Doctors get their own version of excuses, they get tired of it, and we are all looked at like "that or those" patients until *we* prove otherwise. Sigh... Lets see the excuses I've seen on here alone.

1. The pharmacy shorted me.
    2. I hurt real bad a few times, so I took more.
    3. My family, my boyfriend, sister etc., took some.
    4. They were stolen from me during a party we held.
    5. It's my doctor's fault, he didn't give me enough.
    6. It's not my fault!
    7. The ER wouldn't help me.
    8. My PM dropped me!

Etc. The list goes on and on - gets old. Thanks for the thread Dave.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Actually had the short one happen to me. A couple of months ago, my Baclofen, which I get through the mail, was missing an entire months worth. I thought I was going nuts and even had my wife watch me count. A quick call to the on-line pharmacy and the problem was rectified. I was always count my scripts when I get home.

Dave
  • advertisement
  • I can't remember who posted it (like 6 months ago?) but they started counting their meds in the drive through at the pharmacy. It turned out in that members case, the pharmacist was taking like 3 or 4 pills from folks getting their pain meds! Yeah, that sucker got caught thankfully!

I now get my meds via the mail, and like you, I check them before I accept them. :) I tend to under medicate, and at times, the hubby gets mad! (G) "You don't need to suck it up and hurt, take your damn medication woman!" (G) Love him! Our spouses are so good for many of us! :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • dave why are you posting this? i may be taking it wrong and the reason why i say this is because of my post and then you close it and ty for that i wanted it to be closed to and why is everyone here judgeing me? for no one should judge me like they are just because i ran out of my pain meds only 3 days short i don't know how many times i have to say i don't know why i ran out 3 days short and then i had to go to the er for a toothache and the doctor there gave me pain meds because he did not want me to suffer through the weekend should i had suffered through the weekend? and yes i know what you are saying with your post and i had a hard time finding a PM doctor before i found the one that droped me i went through 7 or 8 because they all treated me like a drug seeker when i am not one i suffer with chronic pain just like everyone here and they should not treat me like i am addiect when i am not one i know they have went through the same thing i have with trying to find a PM doctor that don't treat them like drug seeker just like all the doctors treated me to
  • and i am not trying to start anything just so you know dave i am just asking you something and by the way i did not come to this site to get judged by anyone because i get it enough from my husband family
  • advertisement
  • Agreed, completely.

I have a good pain management doctor, so if I had an increase in pain that warranted an increase in meds, they would fit me in. But at this point I've tried a few different meds and found that there are no magic bullets (dagnabbit), and these meds are hard on my body.

So in general, it's a hot bath and the heating pad.

By the way... the reason they'd fit me in is because I've never lost my script, my dog has never eaten it, I don't accidentally flush them down the toilet, and I never run out early.
  • I always double check the count of my meds when I get them from the pharmacy. They are human and do occasionally make mistakes. I also occasionally stretch my meds, mainly because I live alone and don't like how I feel when I am on the meds on a continuous cycle. My doc knows that and he knows that I also use alternative therapies to cope with the pain. I think it's important to have an open communication with my doctor about what I am doing to control my pain.
  • I hate to bring up that other post, as it was closed, but Chronic, you originally said you were 5 days short and didn't know why, and now it's down to 3 days. You have had so many inconsistencies with your story, that is why people are doubting you. Also, you went through 7 or 8 PM doctors? You're telling us that now 8 or 9 doctors are in the wrong? My advice to you is to just drop the subject, as you just keep digging yourself into a deeper hole.

Dave, I think it is important to bring this subject up every once in a while, as a gentle reminder. I, too, count mine at least a couple of times a month, I hide them when people are over or if I go to someone else's house, and if my pain level is tolerable, I don't take one, in case it is higher than I can handle another day. As it stands now, I have a little extra of my ER and IR meds, that have accumulated over months. The main thing is, we all have to follow our prescriptions, and if they're not working at the max dose, then talk to your doctor, there may be a different med that might help better with managing pain levels than the one that isn't helping.
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • i am getting ready to leave this site i have about had it with everyone else judgeing me and you all know who you are to have i judged any of your posts no i have not so no one should judge me no matter what happen
  • no i am not saying all the PM doctors was wrong and yes i will drop the subject i just want everyone here to stop judgeing me thats all i am saying about it and i did also count my pills to make sure i was not taking to many i may have counted them wrong and throught i had more then i had i am sorry i brought the other post up to but i feel like you all are judgeing me am i wrong on that if i am wrong on that i am sorry for saying it can we all just forget about what happen and i want to ask you all if you will forgive me for what happen please i am so sorry i just wanted to say that
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.