Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

epiderals and movement

ouch2ouch2 Posts: 1,270
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Spinal Injections
Hi all. I had 3 cortizone epiderals within the last month and honestly thought that I did not have any relief from them. I did not experience any pain relief from them, but I have just noticed that I can now move my big toe, which I was unable to do. I can also point my left foot up which I could only minimally do. Do you think that this may be from the epiderals?
thanks, Karen
>:D< >:-D< : Karen
L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear about your pain not relieved but yes I had better flexibility after my injections about two weeks ago. I still have issues spreading my toes on the affected foot though. Good to see you're able to move your foot better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank you for your response. It has been nice to have something good happen, even if it is only for a short while. Not sure how long it will last, it is already starting to "stick" when I try to move my big toe, so not sure if this is the begining of less movement once again? Oh well at least it will have been good while it lasts. How long do you find that you have increased movement after your esi's?
    thanks, Karen >:D<
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • advertisement
  • Sometimes I still get relief past the two week mark and went from a 5-6 pain level to a 3-4 at times. I think I'm in a trial and just had 6 epidurals this year though. This Dr. does 6 the first year but only one year then after does the usual 3 a year. I've had about a 40-50% relief of sciatica pain in my foot which I hear is successful. I get short term relief from the facet joint injections and the nerve blocks as well. I hope your injections effects last a long time. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Ouch2,
    Treatment for me started with PT, traction and eventually epidurals, each used to its utmost until the maximum benefit had been evaluated, before the next process was implemented. The success of epidurals varies and evidence here suggest it works for some on a varying scale, and has individual benefits, my own lasted about three months each time and the improvements built up over time, it was not immediate relief.

In my naivety I perceived that any improvement may give some support towards a future strategy and indicate where and how any potential improvement could be targeted, it may well have been a diagnostic tool, that rather than ruling things in, rules others out, and any none invasive process only relates to time, which progresses us to the next incremental stage or option.

In truth it reduced the maximum pain over its duration, did it have the potential to replaced invasive surgery that was eventually required, and you would have to ask your doctor about your circumstances, I am glad it was used to give some relief for the six months that it was effective overall.

Only you know if it has helped and only time will determine if that toe improvement will continue, as you say it is nice to have something that has given some improvement and hope.

Chronic pain is a lengthy journey and sometime longer than we surmise when we set off, any relief is embraced and that numb feeling of an epidural did differ from the sciatic pain I was experiencing.

Take care and good luck.

John.
advertisement