Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Scared for my surgery due to living alone.

Comments

• My dogs seemed to know that things were different when I got home and were calm and didn't demand my attention. They're Labradors, and when they get out of the puppy stage, they're pretty calm anyway.

I've got a large back garden, so there's plenty of room for them to move. There's a creek behind the back fence and a track where people walk, so when the dogs hear a noise, they're down there barking. So I guess they got some exercise while I was laid up.

That'll be good support for you during the first couple of weeks with someone coming in during the day, and the necklace. Say you should fall, I presume there's something to press to alert someone?? Will the person coming in help you to shower? Your grabber will definitely be your best friend. When walking, just take it very very easy and I think you'll cope. If the phone rings, don't be in a hurry to answer it. With one of my hospital stays, there was a lady in the next bed who'd had a fusion, and she was going to the toilet, the phone rang, and she turned quickly to answer it, and slipped. She couldn't walk for a while after that.

Have you got all your meals organised or in the process of doing so? And your grocery shopping? It makes a difference having everything organised well in advance.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi Lisa,

You were on my mind today and I just want to drop you a line of support and encouragement. I forgot when your surgery is scheduled for, but know that you are being thought of.
  • advertisement
  • I squat for everything now. I also had a hard brace that I wore for 4 months. It would not allow me to bend. I did bend over while sitting on the toilet once because I dropped my grabber..I was almost to it when I had excrutiating pain at my surgical site. I was sure I screwed something up and cried like a baby about it.
    But I was fine..just strained newly cut muscle.

Please get a few grabbers. I dropped everything the first few months..and still seem to do so...it got frustrating at times and I would get so mad I cried then too. lol

You never realized how much you do bend until you cannot. I cannot relate to being alone because my husband helped me with everything..even showering..

Hang in there...thinking of you.

Tonya
  • I really don't have any advice to give you in direct connection with your post topic, as I am married, and my husband has been very supportive during my recovery.

It looks like there are so many others (based on all the replies) in your same situation and my heart goes out to you and all the responders who have endured or are still enduring the challenges you will soon face.

I think you have received a lot of really excellent ideas and advice and that is what this forum is all about.

I just want to let you know you are in my thoughts and I will pray for an easy uneventful and speedy recovery for you!
    Virginia
  • I'm gonna chime in with agreement with Virginia as my hubby is my best bud and supporter! Just know that you are NOT alone due to this site and us!!! Super *HUGZ* to you, and positive energy for your strength with this! *HUGZ* :)

Any help options from friends or neighbors? Is there something set up with your hospital for "in-house" nursing assistance for your post op? I know my hospital that I've had my spine surgeries at offer it if "no in home" support - eg - if I lived alone. Some insurance companies also offer this service. Hope they give you thoughts. Trying to toss "more" ideas for you on your post op, and your inner support!! *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • Lisa,

Thanks to my RV, I have this folding step I bought for me to get in and out of the shower. Okay, with that said, (hehehe) I have found that it is wonderful for me to sit on and sift the litter from my fur kids box! I haven't had back surgery yet, but can't handle bending for the littler cleaning, so this step has/is a life saver for that activity!! Hope that helps. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Wow, I feel so supported by all of you! Thank you for your advise and support to let me know your thinking about me.. I wish you guys lived in Toronto so, I could meet all of you special people.

The plan so far is to get a toliet raiser, 2 grabbers, my cousin is the owner of Obus Form so, I'm getting a mattress topper and few other things from him.

As of support, I'm going to hire someone for 2 weeks and get the life line neclace when I'm alone at night. I also talked to some of my friends and there willing to sleep on my couch if I need them. I also have the best cat in the world who is so cuddley. When I first had my accident my cat who, never slept on my bed never left my side! She even sat on my lap in my wheelchair. Animals are so special...
    I'm also lucky I have some great neighbours. I even have a nurse who lives on my floor I take care of her puppy sometimes of which my cat LOVES! she keeps telling me If I need anything she will be hear in a heart beat. AND, I have all of you.. Kelly might visit me in Dec! which will great. I still have my fears of course but I also know the more stress we feel the more pain I feel!! I also day dream about my surgeon he is so hot and sexy! I found out from the MRI girl yesterday he's single! I almost spat my coffee out!! You never know!

I love this group you guys are very special and I pray for you guys that you are healthy and pain free...

I think I woke up in a good mood! lol..

xoxoxoxo

Lisa
  • Good that you've got friends and a neighbour who can help you. Sometimes we're afraid to ask for help, but when you do, it's such a good feeling knowing that they will be there for you.

Your cat sounds very special. Animals have such wonderful intuition when you're sick or unable to get around.

What a bonus having a surgeon who's single and very easy on the eye!

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi, I just found this forum.  I am about to have a lumbar fusion and laminectomy in 3 weeks.  I have two cats, and I was so worried about how I would care for them - feeding and litter box.  Thank you all for all the great tips.  I will start arranging my house and changing their routines now.  I plan to have a home care agency when I come home (covered by insurance), but then I will be alone

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I have to close it.

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.