Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Ho Ho OUCH

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,362
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery
It's that time of year...Christmas decorations time. I debated on it and thought nope I'm not gonna do it. Then a trip to Walmart--might as well look through the Christmas stuff right? My son, who has always loved our decorating, says, wouldn't that be neat?

Yesterday where was I? On top of the house hanging lights on the gutters. I thought, hmmm, this probably won't hurt me since I'm not really straining my neck or anything. Well, I guess it's easier to strain than one would think by the way it feels.

This is just a reminder to all who've recently had surgery. Be careful what you do. Reckon santa will hold me to the 'better not cry' part??? Figures! :''(

Debbie

ACDF C 5-6 October 4, 2010
advertisement

Comments

• What? Didn't you just have surgery October? Well I hope the lights hung up are pretty and your son is enjoying them. Don't forget to ice if you're having pain. I hope you're not going out to drag a Christmas tree home now. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,362
    No Christmas tree yet. Actually I'm feeling pretty good after putting the lights up. Did a little more decorating outside today and still we're not done. My son helps me a lot. He has always loved for me to decorate. We usually go all out but last year I didn't put up anything outside! First time in many, many years.

So far, so good. I'm constantly aware of my neck position and I don't do anything to strain it. I don't pick up anything heavy.

It was a nice sunny, warm day here today and it felt good just being outside.

How is your day? Have you been feeling ok? Hope it was nice where you are.

Debbie
  • advertisement
  • You didn't... :O

But, you did.

Well, I am so glad you didn't fall off the roof or anything worse.

You are so right... it's very important to be careful what you do after surgery. I know you're a hard one to keep down, but you need to give yourself some more healing time. Then, you will be safe to progress more.

Please be careful and I really hope your neck pain starts to ease up, real soon. Take it easy this weekend. Try your best to relax and do little things when you get that urge do to something.

Wishing you less pain, my friend...

Tammy >:D<
    Thanks for your concern my friend. I'm really doing well I think. This morning the spasms were grabbing pretty good but tonight (so far) I feel great. Right at this moment I can honestly say my neck isn't hurting AT ALL! Yeah!! Now my back/butt/thigh is a different story but I'll take painfree wherever I can get it you know?

How are things with you Tammy? Hope you're feeling good.

Debbie
  • Way too soon after surgery woman!! Perfect example of "feeling better" and then over doing it! I hope you are feeling better soon - no more pushing it!! :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
    Thanks. I didn't think I was a "perfect" anything but hey, example will do I guess. Have to take what I can get. lol.

I'm the worst to overdo things I admit. I'm very careful to not do anything that will actually hurt my chances of healing or fusing. I don't need anymore loose screws. My NS says to do whatever--don't know if he realized I'd be climbing around on the roof :?

Right now other than the 'pings' of pains in my muscles I'm doing good. If I take the muscle relaxers regularly it helps more but makes me feel really bad. At times these muscles get mad as heck at me and I know I'd better just sit here with my heating pad.

I'm cooking for 17-20 people tomorrow (we're having Thanksgiving dinner early). Wish me luck. I will do a lot of the cooking today so it won't be as hard tomorrow and my brother is doing the turkey so I won't have to lift it. Next week will probably be spent sitting here whining to you all. ;)

Hope you have a good day.
    Debbie
  • I thought I was bad at doing to much, but you win! I'm reading that your surgery was sometime in Oct. It's good to know that your feeling good for sure! I can't imagine cooking for that many people and Hope you've got some help while dancing around your kitchen. You rock! I'm contemplating doing a tree, I always put mine up the weekend after Turkeyday. Always easier to put up than take down. I'll see how I'm feeling.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    cgm
  • I think there is wisdom in spacing things out. I've been thinking about Christmas decorations for the past week. Tried to get my son to do them while it was still warm but he said it was too early. Maybe this week....

But one thing I know for sure is that I plan to space things out. Do one thing each day. And start early.

I even started shopping :) Need to start the wrapping which for me is the worst part :(
    Hi. How are you doing since your surgery? I only had one level with plate and screws and allograft. They used your hip bone right? I think that is way worse since you have that pain to deal with also. I'm not really as tough as all that...it's been seven weeks tomorrow for me so I guess I'm only doing average. I have my moments believe me!

The dinner went well but I'm so very worn out! Had 18 people show up which is a lot of cooking at the best of times but it was much more tiring for me now. I did have help in the kitchen at least with the dishes which helped a lot. I'll admit that I was asking myself a lot of times today just why was I doing this but I think everyone enjoyed it so that's all that matters. I'm thankful I was able to do it and honestly last year was more painful I think. The spasms are pretty bad tonight but other than that it's just that I'm so tired. I can't believe how weak I feel even this long after surgery sometimes!

Let me know how your recovery is going and just remember it takes time. I hope you can be more patient than I am sometimes.

Take care,
    Debbie
    You're right about the spacing. I'm trying to do better with that but so far I'm failing it seems. I'm doing better all the time though so hopefully the light won't be a train for me again. lol.

Shopping...I usually put that off until a week or so before and then start to panic.

Take care and don't overdo.
    Debbie
advertisement