Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Ho Ho OUCH

Comments

• Ms. Debbie!!!

Oooh Boy, 17-20 people - errr, umm... isn't that a bit of 'overdue' pre-known? I hurt just thinking about all of that. Please tell me you have help? Wow!!!

I'm guilty of overdoing it too. No surgery to the back yet, but with disks on the nerves, it doesn't take much as you probably know. Sniff.. Just had my family reunion, and though I hurt pretty bad at times, had a blast! :) I guess I am saying (shhh....) there are times that the overdue "is worth it?" I'll keep you in my thoughts woman. *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,362
    All I can say today is #:S oh and add in a little of 8} with a side of :''(

Overall everything went well and my neck is really no worse for it. It's pretty stiff and achy this morning and I have a headache up the back of my neck that I think may turn into a doozy later...but it's all good right?!

Debbie :)
  • advertisement
  • Thanks so much for asking about me. I'm okay, just frustrated with my left arm issue. I drove for the first time on Saturday. Which leads me to a question. I'm still in my collar, but I try to do a little neck turning here and there. I was told 3 weeks in the collar and then at night for several more weeks. How is your range of motion? Are you doing any exercises? Thank in advance. Oh edited to add...I'm walking as much as I can tolerate, and yes, it does make my hip flare up a bit. but all in all...the hip is doing okay!
    cgm
    You're driving already? Did your doctor release you to drive yet? I was afraid to drive that soon. I probably could have but I was just afraid I couldn't turn my head well enough.

What kind of collar are you wearing? I only wore a soft collar for about 3 days but I still wear it at night. My doctor didn't tell me to wear it at night but it keeps me from ending up on my tummy as much.

My ROM is better than before surgery. I just do the stretching exercises I've done for years to keep my neck moving. You are probably way to early to do any type exercise. You also had two levels done and I only had one so that must make a big difference in recovery. Have you been for your post op visit yet? My NS asked me if I wanted to do pt but said since I'm doing so well and move so much that it's not necessary.

Don't get discouraged. You're doing great for 20 days post op. I had a few days at about the same time that my arm/shoulder throbbed and I was scared to death that the surgery wasn't going to help me. And of course I've had ups and downs since then and probably will for awhile. My NS told me to remember that I've had major surgery and it takes time. I just feel like I should bounce back sooner and am very impatient.

Please don't do anything to jeopardize your fusion. Like I tell my family, I may do a lot of things I shouldn't but I'm not crazy enough to really hurt myself. I'm careful how I do things. You should be even more so since your surgery was more.

Do you have any swallowing issues? I'm 7 wks out and still have the lump in throat feeling pretty bad and at times feel like someone is choking me. It's worse when I've done to much it seems. But actual swallowing isn't a problem. The worst part of this seems to be muscle spasms. I will say though that just the past week has been a great improvement. You will feel better each and every week. Just don't push yourself. (do as I say not as I do right? lol)

PM me if there's anything I can help you with.
    Debbie
  • Just wanted to let you know what my grandmother did after she read a tip.

When dinner was over, she would lean back and stretch, look at everyone at the tables, yes tables, and then she would say, "Well, I cooked it!". Following that statement she would get up and go to the living room to take a nap or watch TV.

The message was very clear :D. She expected the others to clean up the mess. You know this was long before dishwashers and everyone of us helped clean up in one form or another.

So for all those planning on overdoing the meal on Thanksgiving you may wish to try grams method of cleanup! I do believe it was originally posted in a Dear Abbey or other column, once gram read it, she lived by it!
  • advertisement
  • I was getting excited about doing decorating in the next few weeks. But it will be too soon after surgery. Calling in the mom to help out.

Angela
  • Whew, right? Thanksgiving usually isn't too bad for me because we go to a relatives (my niece this year) house. Christmas prep is what kills me - especially the wrapping! Grrr... It sounds like you're feeling a weee bit better, so that is good to hear! *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
    One smart Grandmother there!!! I only put away the leftovers while the others did the dishes. By then I was to tired to bother.

I hope you're feeling good and that you have a great Thanksgiving.

Debbie
    Hope you're doing ok. It's way to soon for you to be doing any decorating. Please take care and don't do anything crazy... 8} Be patient and give yourself plenty of healing time.

Debbie
  • Hi Sunny,

You'd asked about driving, I was told I could resume driving at 2wks. I can drive and yes, head turning is a tad difficult. I use my mirrors. I only drive around a 3 mile radius...small town. soft collar for me and I was told to wear it for about 3 weeks and then always at night. I don't wear it during the day that much..unless I'm hurting a bit.

Anyhoo...I've a question to you or anyone else reading:

Your Tummy? Your Side??????I'm 21 days post op today. Please tell me when you were able to sleep on either. I have always slept on my side and this back position suxs. I find that If I lean forward or to the sides I get quite off balance. I'm assuming this to be due from my muscle relaxer side effect. I only take them at night so I can sleep on my back :(

sorry for the thread jack.
    cgm
advertisement