Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

anyone seen an osteopath??

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Alternative Treatments
I've was sent to see an osteopath by my naturopath last week. He spent quite a long time taking a history on me.Three quarters of the time that i was there. Then he did his physical assessment which was probably about 15min.The only way that i can describe the way that he assessed me was more like laying on of hands. His touch was very very light,almost know pressure but i could feel his energy.The back of my head and hip areas were to most painful,probably a nine out of ten,but after he was done assessing me he told me that my spinal cord was tightly twisted from top to bottom,that my kidney was stuck in place and wasn't able to move and thats why i have so much pain in my upper stomach area,and i have bladder spasms because my kidney is so stuck that its pulling up on my bladder and that i have some tenderness in my liver. He thinks that all this was caused by the car accident that i had.I just can't get my head around how he could know all this when he barely touched me.Has anyone else been to see an osteopath and can they explain to me how this person seems to know this??
advertisement

Comments

• I was treated by an osteopath for nearly a year and I think they are outstanding doctors. As to how they can tell things with the light touch, I have no clue. I do know that they tend to be very very accurate in their assessments.

Keep us posted on how things go.

"C"
  • is a DO, I selected him specifically due to my back issues I've been having since late 2003. I've been seeing him since I've moved to my new home 2004. From what I understand they are trained like a MD, as far as med school, but then specialize in structural anatomy. Yes, more hands on then your average MD as they are trained to understand the spine and proper alignment. Not like a chiropractor, except that they share more of the philosophy of proper spinal alignment and medical consequences of mis-alignment. My DO, does not do manipulations, rather uses touch to evaluate and combines traditional medical training. He is not keen on big expensive testing unless necessary.

He is the best PCP my family has ever used. When it was time for my fusion he spent over an hour consulting with my husband & I (he was in NO way involved with my ALIF, obviously, but he is very involved with the well being of my family).

Good luck!

Virginia
  • advertisement
  • is a DO, I selected him specifically due to my back issues I've been having since late 2003. I've been seeing him since I've moved to my new home 2004. From what I understand they are trained like a MD, as far as med school, but then specialize in structural anatomy. Yes, more hands on then your average MD as they are trained to understand the spine and proper alignment. Not like a chiropractor, except that they share more of the philosophy of proper spinal alignment and medical consequences of mis-alignment. My DO, does not do manipulations, rather uses touch to evaluate and combines traditional medical training. He is not keen on big expensive testing unless necessary.

He is the best PCP my family has ever used. When it was time for my fusion he spent over an hour consulting with my husband & I (he was in NO way involved with my ALIF, obviously, but he is very involved with the well being of my family).

Good luck!

Virginia
  • I didn't choose him for that reason, but he is the best doctor I've ever had. He listens, takes his time & is an amazing diagnostician.

He doesn't do manipulations, tho.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,279
    You can read my results on most of my treatments
    here: Osteopathy

Now, after over 18 months from my last treatment, my verdict is that it did help, but that the relief did not last very long. As long as I was going in for weekly treatments, I felt better.

I am sure others may have other positive or negative views on Osteopathic treatments.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Tammy,
    Managing pain is about a progressive strategy and finding the most suitable one to your specific needs, the less invasive treatments should be used first if they are deemed appropriate and a clear objective to what benefit you are hoping this will provide.

Has someone suggested this may help and what medical evidence do you have, that this is suitable, for many here this was an interim treatment and only time and experience will determine its suitability and success.

At least you would feel as if you were having some control however minimal or otherwise this specific treatment proves, we have to be realistic in our expectation of what success for us does mean, eventually and with good grace my osteopath said he could help me no more and that an alternative process may be more appropriate.

Take care and have a go, it is better than doing nothing.

John
  • We switched to her from a young therapist who did not seem to realize that hubby was sixty-six and had arthritis no matter how in shape he appeared to be. She is wonderful. I go to the sessions most of the time and she just appears to be sitting there with her hands under his back doing nothing. So I asked him what she was doing and he said he really did not know- she just seemed to move her fingers a bit- but that it felt wonderful while she was doing it. The exercises he gets from her are spot on! She has been so good for him and his recovery.
advertisement