Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

venting, skull pain

Comments

• Occipital injections are easy for the doc to do in an office setting without a fluoroscope. Basically the doc follows the shape of your skull and finds the area where the nerve passes and injects right into the notch. This will make the scalp go numb as is related to the nerve.

Imitrex is for migraine headaches and won't do anything for an occipital nerve problem if that is what you are dealing with. Are you currently taking any medications for nerve pain? Like Neurontin or Lyrica? When I was first diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia, I was started on Tegretol (carbamazepine) and it was a wonder drug for me. I was able to control these headaches for many years with these types of drugs.

Has your surgeon or general practitioner ever referred you to a neurologist? I was diagnosed and treated by several neurologists for this type of problem.

"C"
  • yes, this is probably what he was referring too
    what do you mean by the "notch" and is it aneathetic in the injection? or ?

thats interesting about the carbamazepine, im glad that you got releif from it for so long

my NS gave me lyrica to try, for the neurogenic headaches, but after reading the side effects, i was rather leary to take them, i may have to re-think this!

when i saw my NS i intially went for my cervical , but in the interim , my lumbar became more urgent, so we were concentrating on that
    result is fusion for lumbar (this is pending)
    so, did not have time in consult to devote much to cervical

my cervical and lumbar are both competing with each other for who gets to go first on the fusion table

am waiting for a return call from NS

this of course still leaves C1-C3 cerviogenic headaches
    will ring my GP and ask him about the office injections
    thses headaches as you no are just so awfull
    i also get migraines, they are different
    thankyou for the info c
    much appreciated
    flower
  • advertisement
  • you get the nerve pain shooting into your forehead when you cough

in the last few months it has been doing this whenever i cough

still iceing , taken more anti-inflammortories and muscle relaxers
    dont have my collar anymore. will have to get a new one
    take care all
    flower
  • I get them randomly, I don't have to be doing anything at all, feels like someone is driving a spike through my skull. Sometimes it's on the top or right side of my head, sometimes in behind my eye, I have had them in my forehead, too. They last for a few seconds to a minute at a time, and can happen several times in quick succession, or only once or twice, but the pain brings me to my knees. It's like brain-freeze on steroids, lol. My pcp said they are what's called "ice-pick" headaches. My scalp also goes numb randomly, hence my name, lol. Both the numbness and the "spiky" pains only happen on the right side of my head, but I always have the other headaches, where it starts in the neck and wraps around the top. When the headaches get really bad like what you have right now, I can only lay on my left side, the pressure on the back or right side of my head is just too much and is so painful. For me though, having the heating pad on my neck and head does help. I've never tried ice, as that just sends the spasms in my neck into overdrive and makes it worse. Just a question, when they are that bad for me, I am super sensitive to sound, but not very much with light. I can't even handle the little pitter-patter of my cats or dogs walking across the floor, as an example. Are you the same?
    I have an RFA scheduled in Tuesday, so I'll ask my pm to explain the occipital shots better. But it sounds just like what C explained.
    Hope you feel better soon!!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I hope you woke feeling better today. Headaches, any headaches totally suck to deal with. I've not tried heat as was suggested here, might have to try that on the next one. Heat normally isn't as helpful to me as ice.

My lumbar and cervical too fight for who will get the most attention. Even though your lumbar is "winning" that argument right now, you might want to bring these headaches up to your NS just in case, and let him see what might be going on, and too a possible way of getting relief. Chat again soon. *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • going to talk with NS and GP about this , i only slept 4 hrs, and im still i pain :(
    ive had these go on for days before , but i think this is the longest

thankyou avi for your kind thoughts and checking on me today
    hugs too you :)
    hope your having a low pain day
    flower
  • Thanks Flower,

For me, *most* of today was a lower pain day by my standards, thanks! I'm glad to see you are going to see your doctor about what is going on. Hopefully it will be a simple fix. I (like you) am sure getting a real answer as to what the heck is going on and how to address it will help bunches.

Just keeping you in my thoughts woman! Please let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed the the headaches BACK the heck off! :) *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • so sorry you have thses dreadfull headaches, im glad the heating pad works somewhat for you
    when i first got then a few yrs ago now, my thoughts were , ice , numb it, so i literally pack my head in ice and after a day or a few days depending how long they go, the ice helps numb the pain for me

whatever works /helps, right, lol

i cant say im super sensitve to sound , but when im like this , i dont have much sound going on
    you made me smile with your description of your little one"S pitter pattering along, awww cuties, but not good for you when the sound hurts, thats awfull
    you can get little shoes/socks for them, though they ,mmay pull them off, lol
    kelly good luck with your RFA , i hope it brings you relief
    have you had a diagnosis of occipital headaches kelly , my GP and NS both said mine were
    yes c explained it well, thanks for the support , much appreciated and to check with your dr about them
    you were saying that you didnt get releif from your injection , did you have others that you did ?
    Take care and hope you get relief with the RFA on tuesday
    hugs
    flower

• rung my GP , hes away for 3 days , wouldnt ya no it
    anyway told receptionist im in pain , so they will ring me on the day he gets back and fit me in

i also rang my NS office and the first appoitment i can get is april, so i booked it

still got the occipital headache
    thanks everyone for your support , kind words and info
    hugs
    flower
  • rung my GP , hes away for 3 days , wouldnt ya no it
    anyway told receptionist im in pain , so they will ring me on the day he gets back and fit me in

i also rang my NS office and the first appoitment i can get is april, so i booked it

still got the occipital headache
    thanks everyone for your support , kind words and info
    hugs
    flower
advertisement