Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Hi Everyone! New to forum.......neck/shoulder issues

Kimber1106KKimber1106 Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone! I have been experiencing some pain in what I thought was in my shoulder off and on for the past year.
I have a history with lower back subluxations and bulging discs (L3-L5). I spent a good 2 years working that out with a chiropractor and felt a million times better. Approx. 1 1/2 years ago I sneezed and slipped the disc at my L3. My insurance at the time did not cover chiropractic so I went for a few adjustments and when the pain was manageable, we parted ways. A couple of months later I started experiencing some odd sensations in my head but was going through a very stressful time so I chalked it up to anxiety. At the time I was taking a mild anxiety med and that seemed to relieve it so I let it go. Fast forward to Feb 2010, we bought a new home and I've been doing lots of small projects around the house. Painting overhead, etc. I started experiencing a stabbing and burning sensation in my Rt shoulder blade that seemed to travel to my neck and then sharp little stabbing pains in my head and face. Without going on so long that I will need to hire an editor and seek a publishing license to continue, my other symptoms are; occasional ringing in the ears, blurred vision in right eye, grating and grinding on my neck, sore scalp (at times feel like someone has pulled my hair out), quick electric feeling zaps that travel up behind my ears and sometimes feeling of pressure in my sinuses, slight dizziness and what feels like heart palpitations. I recently had a cervical x-ray because the Dr. feels like I may have some arthritis and possibly some disc issues in my neck. Naturally I've worked myself up to include everything from anxiety to a brain tumor so any insight you may have is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Kimberly
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Kimberly and Welcome to SPine-Health!!

Yes you have found a wonderful and caring forum here!! I have newly started my cervical journey, I have lumbar issues too....L4-S1 fusion a few years ago. And I always thought that that lumbar and sciatica pain was the worst...I was wrong!!

There are lots of Neckies on here with way more experience than I but I just wanted to welcome you:):) See you around;)
  • Thanks Polly.......I can see there is a wealth of information here and just knowing that others experience some of the same things is helping me feel better already.
  • advertisement
  • Kimberly,

First off, a Hearty Welcome to Spine Health! Sorry to hear that possible neck issues have brought you here.

None of us on here are doctors, and what information we give is based on our own knowledge due to our path down the spiney road, okay?

Certain levels in the neck can and do cause burning pains in the shoulder blades - been there, done that, and continue to! Some of your other symptoms normally don't refer from the cervical nerves. Have you had an MRI of your head to rule out nerve issues in the vestibular or cranial nerves? The vestibular is mainly around your ears - balance, dizziness, tinnitus etc., and the face, eyes, sinuses are mostly cranial nerve controlled.

I know it's easy to start freaking out. Thanks to the Internet, digging for "matching symptoms" is common for all of us anymore! The opinion that should be the only one that matters is your doctors. I've had inner ear infections for example that caused me hearing issues, tinnitus, balance and such. A week and a bunch of drops and all was well. See? Lots can cause things - blocked sinuses and fubar your eyes, breathing can be crappy. So try not to freak, see what your doctor thinks is going on.

Many of us put our symptoms into a log format to show the doctor so nothing is missed. Please let us know how the MRI goes, and what they tell you. Again, Welcome aboard!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.please don't get yourself worried until some tests are in and you have throughly talked them over with your doctor.. there could be something easily solved by rest and medication... i do hope that is the situation.. good luck to you and i hope you find some pain relief soon. stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • HI and welcome. I would suggest finding a really good neurologist. By any change is your eyelid drooping and are your pupils not equal? That is also a sign of cranial nerve problems.

Hope this helps.

EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Administrator Dave

• advertisement
  • Kimberly - I have had neck & shoulder and head problems as well for the last 18 years. Been to over 40+ doctors. For head pressure and headaches my doctor put me on topamax which immediately took my headaches and head pressure away. With a flareup, I also have Relpax but only for a really bad day. My shoulder went out and found out my right shoulder had a torn rotator cuff but with physical therapy, I was fine. Then the left went out and it was frozen shoulder. Went back to physical therapy and now doing OK & is much better. As for your neck, my doctor has me on the greatest medication which is Neurontin. It tricks your brain and you feel no pain. I also take topamax throughout the day and if needed if you are in pain, your doctor can add percocet or oxycodone to help if the other two pills don't. You have to ask your doctor about neck exercises to do everyday. There is a certain way to do these and hot showers also help me. I recently had a trigger point injection put into my neck & shoulder but that was after 18 years so that I didn't have to take any narcotic drugs anymore. The other drugs I mentioned aren''t. Hope this helps. Try also to do mild stretching of your arms & neck/head & watch your posture.
  • I can see that you and others certainly have some experience on this topic. I am still waiting to hear back from the Dr about my X-ray. He advised me to relax and we will take it from there. PT, MRI, etc when necessary. Thanks for the warm welcome and support. It truly helps.

Kimberly
  • Thanks so much for the welcome and support. It helps just to know that others are experiencing much of the same. Sorry that anyone has to go through pain or ailments but it does help when you know that you are not alone.
  • Fortunately, I have not experienced any drooping in my eyelid. The shooting pains come and go and sometimes I can relieve them by applying pressure to my sinuses. Thanks for the welcome and response.

Kimberly
  • Thanks so much for the response. I feel terrible about complaining of my aches and pains as it seems you and others have gone through so much more. I am more of an advocate for alternative and natural healing when possible so I am hopeful that this will not require anything beyond acupuncture or chiropractic. I have definitely taken your advice or stretching a bit and it seems to relieve the sharp shooting pains.

Kimberly
advertisement