Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

3 1/2 years with severe, chronic lumbar back pain & no diagnosis

advertisement

Comments

• Me too, Robin. I'm glad your Dr was nice today - I have a PM Dr who is the ONLY one that ever listens and helps me - so I hope your Dr helps you, or at least listens.

Re: the gruesome image on #5 - guess that's my macabre sense of humor - I kind of wanted to take it back after I'd written it, because - well - others may not "get it". It is kind of funny though - so I'm glad YOU got it. Take care.
    Stefany
  • C. you might want to look into Prolotherapy because your problem is similar to mine and Prolo has helped me. Lamestream (mainstream) doctors often overlook ligament laxity which causes a hypermobile SI joint which then produces pain. Prolo can strengthen ligaments and eliminate pain. It worked for me.
    You can search on "Prolotherapy Lecture" at youtube for some info. If you need more info then PM me.
    Good luck
    O
  • advertisement
  • I know what you mean I used to have a L5-S1 herniated disc and annular tear with disc material in contact with the exiting nerve so I had an excuse for the sciatica to my leg and foot. Now my second MRI showed DDD throughout my lumbar spine and no mention of a HD but still have the same pain and sciatica and the PM Dr told me there must be nerve irritation with the sciatica.

Also my second MRI they didn't do weighted exam and I had my legs on a pillow on the second MRI so wonder if that could have something to do with it? The only thing that says I have nerve compression on the EMG at L4-L5 which other than not being able to walk far or stand I was able to get Government disability. I'm going for a repeat EMG Jan. 12 so will see how the nerve is doing or if it's worse then my Dr. will do another MRI. After seeing 3 surgeons there's nothing that can be done for me so far.

So I'm out here too and you're not alone and the others who posted as well who are in the same situation. I hope they come up with more sensitive tests that can pinpoint the pain generator.

Merry Christmas and Happy holidays and I'm thinking of you and saying a prayer. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks, Charry. I have been reading a lot of interesting things lately - mostly that the back architecture is very complex (well - we knew that!). But one thing that I read is that it is not just physical structures (e.g. like herniations) pressing on the nerves that cause nerve pain, but also chemicals, such as from the nucleus, that can cause the nerves to get going as well.

Also - with regards to "resolution" of herniations, it doesn't necessarily resolve the problems, especially if you had the herniation for a while - even if it dries up, or whatever, the symptoms can persist. I was surprised that "resolutions" occur more often than people realise - sometimes quick, sometimes slow. Mine took somewhere between one year and two years to resolve.

I just really feel that this tear is causing the problems for me - and descriptions of the building of pain when you have DDD - they just sound like me - the pain that's killing me is the pain that builds up whenever I do any activities.

But you're right about the need for sensitive tests - DDD just looks like a dark blur to me on an MRI. I guess I'll see the one orthopedic surgeons who seemed interested in helping me, and see if I can get a positional MRI somewhere, as some people seem to have had some success with that.

Merry Christmas to you too, Charry - all the best for the New Year and with your back battles.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.