Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

MRI results

sleeprgirlssleeprgirl Posts: 695
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:49 AM in Chronic Pain
I went to a new physical medicine doctor and had a thoracic and lumbar MRI. I have only had Xrays since last January. My back, waist, ribs, hips, groin, leg pain is severe, and my legs/feet are numb, and my left leg is still weak since my fusion 13 months ago. I have exaggerated reflex in my lower extremities also.

My MRI were, for lack of a better word, inconclusive.
I have two bulging thoracic disks with significant arthritic changes to T5 and T8 vertebrae. Also am bulging at L3-4 and L5-S1. My fusion is L4-5. My Dr. said that he could not see any nerve compression. How can that be, I ask myself, when my feet are solidly numb. No answers. He is referring me to another doctor for medical management (meds), and the status of my fusion back to my surgeon. The fusion site doesn't look mature, but I am having my surgeon look at the MRI tomorrow.

I've been wearing my bone stimulator since June, and my surgeon has placed PT on hold until we see more fusion. I am so ready to get back to PT.

Does this sound like familiar? Almost like a broken record. Sorry for the long post...I will press on, just a little direction would be nice. I've always been a planner...just give me a plan and I'm good to go!!!

Merry Christmas, everyone!!

Lisa

advertisement

Comments

• Ms. Lisa,

*HUGZ* So sorry nothing "stood out" to give you direct answers as to what is going on. Question? Are your feet numb when laying down? If it's worse standing, sitting - any chance for a positional MRI? It might be a whole different picture when your spine is seen under load. Just a thought there.

Merry Christmas to you my friend!! *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • So true! I'm lying now and they are numb, but definitely are worse when prolonged sitting, standing and even walking.

I thought about the positional MRI while I was in the machine, but then forgot about it during the 5-7 minutes that I had with him.

Will mention that to my surgeon's PA when he calls me tomorrow...thanks for reminding me.

A very dear friend of mine has been encouraging me to obtain a second surgical opinion. It is on my "To Do List" during January. The surgeon that we have chosen is in the same group as this PM doctor that I saw today. I am looking forward to seeing this to fruition.

Lisa
  • advertisement
  • Lisa,

I agree with your friend. We have to be our own advocates, and so my vote is you should stick to your guns and find out fully what is going on. The doctors don't live with this pain, they don't have numbness, weakness, pain...oh did I mention they don't live with this pain! (G)

Yeah remember when I blew C6/7, the recumbent MRI didn't look bad at all. A week later had the positional one, and the hernia was there bigger than stink! Since then I've only used that MRI for my spine. Please let us know how it goes woman!! *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • HI :wave:

The numbness HAS to be from some source!??? Hope they find it SOON!

You know I am here for you :hug:
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Never thought that I would want to see pathology on my own MRI...but you guys are right...

And if I hear Failed Back Syndrome again as a diagnosis I think I will scream. It is such a dismissal of a root cause. It does feel much like being banished...on an deserted island.

L
  • advertisement
  • Now we know you're a TRUE spiney! We are weird that we WANT to see something so we are validated! Pretty freaky huh? (G) *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • Another thing to think about...my pain is worse in the afternoon/evening, and I had the MRI at 11am, and my pain was not bad at the time. Could the results have been different had I had it later in the day?!

L
  • Another thing to think about...my pain is worse in the afternoon/evening, and I had the MRI at 11am, and my pain was not bad at the time. Could the results have been different had I had it later in the day?!

L
  • Lisa,

Not sure. Logic would tell me it wouldn't make a difference. But it does tell me that as the day goes on, "something" is continually aggravating nerves or too mechanically, so we ache more as the day goes on. Kind of like if I stand still for more than 5 minutes, I go from "0-50" in agony! Another 'good' I see it that whatever it is, it might not be fully entrapped yet? Fingers staying crossed for ya woman!

Hey wait a minute, you're the nurse! You're suppose to know this stuff...right? (G) Just teasing. *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • Pharmacology/Anesthesia I know, the spine and its industry has been a steep learning curve.

When I gave anesthesia for fusions, I would put the patient to sleep, keep the patient asleep; try to keep the patient(and myself)warm, while listening to Pink Floyd for 7-8 hours...the surgeon's favorite CD. I never thought about what he was doing. It did not impact my work or my life at the time...I was just not interested in learning more. Big regret of mine now.

L
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.