Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Low Back

AnthonyAAnthony Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am new this this site, and as of a few months ago, new to this pain... I guess I am looking to see if anyone else has had similar symptoms and what they have learned or have to say.
I hate to write a ton, but want to give the background as much as possible.

I was running quite a bit this summer, and started to have plantar fascitis issues- so I went and got custom orthotics made(while they were being made,it takes a few weeks), I was in a ATV accident. I went flying through the air and landed flat on my back- as if I was dropped flat like I laid in a coffin. I was extremely bruised and sore, for a few weeks but nothing I couldn't handle. In those weeks, I did not run and my foot heeled up. I started running shortly after and starting have low back or high hip pain. Ibuprfen or icy hot worked, and I just chalked it up to the orthotics changing my running and making me ache. I began lifting heavier weights every other day and increasing my running mileage. The back pain increased to the point where I was getting extremely uncomfortable, then I all of a sudden could not bend forward at all. Literally could not even touch my knees while standing. X rays were negative, chiropractor a few times a week, physical therapy and nothing really helped. The pain wasn't so bad, that I couldn't lift weights, so I continued. I think I over did it, and didn't have the best form. Now it felt like my lower half was detached, extreme pain while trying to sleep. MRI, bone scan, and X rays of Sacrum. Two top Neurosurgeons said nothing was wrong,probably just torn ligaments. Pain got so bad, and still can not bend forward. I cannot sit, the pain is way too bad. Like a 10, literally shake when I need to ride in a vehicle. Pain Management say that is prob my SI joint, they give me a test shot that offers no relief. Days later he re looks at MRI and says a bulge is prob doing this. I forget which area(but he says its low) so he gives me a steroid shot- I felt relief for about a day(the lidacaine must have numbed). But have been in pain for weeks since. I thought bed rest would help, so I did no walking for weeks. Either I got extremely week from this, or the back pain has caused me to need to lay down after being up for 45 seconds. I cannot lay on side, sit, or find relief unless laying flat. Percoset is the first pill that helps the pain, but I wake up after a few hours with extreme tingling in my lower back-its painful! My left foot it weaker, but not too bad, and it tingles, but not all the time. Sciatica is better than it was, but I am still extemely frustrated. Has anyone been in this kind of discomfort or situational pain from bulging, or herniated disc? I am thinking about another MRI if this weeks steroid shot doesn't make a huge difference. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I did walk tonight and now my SI joint is hurting pretty bad. Not sure what to do....
advertisement

Comments

• That sounds like a big accident you had that's rough you're having so much pain. Which disc is herniated for you? I had an L5-S1 herniated disc and annular tear that caused leg and foot pain and numbness and had to get an EMG/nerve test for that and the weakness then saw the Neurologist as my Dr. was concerned about the numbness/weakness in my lower leg and foot so not sure if you had that test yet? Usually you get 3 steroid injections if the first one worked a little. I also had nerve blocks in my SI joints when I got the steroid shot so maybe your PM Dr. would help you there also.

My herniated disc healed within 18 months when I had my second MRI but the injury left me with Degenerative discs due to the injury and still unable to work for almost 3 years but hope yours gets better soon.

I'm taking Voltaran, a muscle relaxant and pain meds. I hope your Pain Management Dr. is helping you with pain meds. Keep us posted how you're doing and ice/heat when you can. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank you for you input. I will find out Monday( I go back to pain management) what disc is supposedly giving the problem. I feel with all this pain, and the back being locked like it is, its more serious than just a disc. Time will tell.

I have not had any special nerve tests, but everyone that sees me pokes a bit and asks me to push and pull certain things, so I guess nobody is too worried yet.

As for pills- I am on Percoset, but my Primary Physican prescribed them, and she said she was done,(so yes, my pain management doc better help me one way or another) and I take some sort of sleeping pill that is suppose to make me drowsy and not wake from the pain... Yeah right.
  • advertisement
  • Thank you for you input. I will find out Monday( I go back to pain management) what disc is supposedly giving the problem. I feel with all this pain, and the back being locked like it is, its more serious than just a disc. Time will tell.

I have not had any special nerve tests, but everyone that sees me pokes a bit and asks me to push and pull certain things, so I guess nobody is too worried yet.

As for pills- I am on Percoset, but my Primary Physican prescribed them, and she said she was done,(so yes, my pain management doc better help me one way or another) and I take some sort of sleeping pill that is suppose to make me drowsy and not wake from the pain... Yeah right.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.