Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Still in pain after 7 months

BAYSIDEBBAYSIDE Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Lower Back Pain
I underwent a laminectomy of L3,4,5 with fusion of those same vertebrae 7 months ago. My pain levels have fluctuated like the Dow Jones averages but have continued unabated on a daily basis. The minimum amount of Vicodin I seem to be able to get by with is about 5 per day. I walk a mile each day, but without the pain pills I wouldn't be able to do so. I tried physical theraphy but it was a disaster as far as increased pain, and putting me back in bed for a week. Is there anyone out there who shares this long-lasting pain cycle? Is there something more effective than Vicodin? I'm 76 years old and in reasonably good health.
Robert L. Hyde
advertisement

Comments

• first of all, remember that if physical therapy is a disaster, try a different physical therapist! always say no if something does not feel right, and look around until you find one who works for you.

second, i really think this is a great article:

https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/failed-back-surgery-syndrome-fbss-what-it-and-how-avoid-pain-after-surgery
  • I would also encourage you to find a different physical therapist. There is a wide range in their abilities, interest, and personalities. Another recommendation: get in the water. The warm water feels good and I can move in the water easier than I can on land. You might be able to do your walking in the water and you might have less pain. I found a pool at an apartment complex and wow, is it great. The first time I went I was so surprised how good it felt to move and not hurt. I think everbody in recovery should try it. I hope you find some success so you can lessen your pain meds a bit.
  • advertisement
This discussion has been closed.