Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

daily rest periods for warding off lower back pain?

cornonthecobccornonthecob Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone!

Long history of lower back pain. Tried everything (as everyone surely has), but the thing that has helped it the most is to take frequent rest periods during the day to just lie down.

Just wondering if anyone else here has tried that? (say lying down a few times throughout the day for 30m each)

CC
advertisement

Comments

• I would think it's worth a try.

In my case, nothing is going to actually ward off th paing, it's coming from too many sources. That said, sitting is the worst with standing a close second.

So there are times when my only chance for relief is lying on my stomach for a few minutes.

The trick for me is to not feel guilty about it.
  • ... I didn't have a job. Not very realistic if you still work. The theory seems reasonable though. Completely unload your spine for a bit. I find that simply getting up and walking for a few minutes every hour helps. Also some simple stretches help.

When I get home after work I will lay down on a cold pack more often than hot pack and get better results.
  • advertisement
  • That's about the only way I'm able to manage my pain. Some days are better than others and I can do a little more than the day before. Other days are worse and I'm down more than I'm up. I have a zero gravity chair which I'm able to recline in that takes some of the pressures off and helps. Good luck to you.
  • I spend alot of my day laying down. If I didn't I would not be able to function due to the pain. I work from home on a laptop so 8 hrs a day I lie on the couch or bed and work. I get up to move around but I can usually only be up, standing or doing light housework for less than an hour and I have to lie down. I can't sit for more than 10 minutes so the only choice is to lay down.I still have way too much pain but at least I'm not in utter agony all day and night.
  • But, I tend to want to push through & get my work done before I allow myself to lie down for a break. Or I'll feel antsy think what I really need to do is go excerise rather than just take the stress off my spine for a few minutes.

I really need to work on pacing myself--I can't allow the quality of my work to slip.
  • advertisement
  • That is pretty much the only way that I can get through a day, is to lie down in a recliner frequently. I get up and do what I just have to in order for my family to have a semi-functional home, but I am grateful that I can do this since I am now on disability. I worked for a year in horrible pain (the doc I had then would only give me about 60 pain pills every 6 months; the rest of the time, I tried to cope by taking Extra Strength Excedrin, which I'm sure was just wonderful for my liver) and finally had to quit working. I do wish that I could work by lying down the way of one of the respondents to your comment does. We are going under financially. Do NOT feel guilty for this, in case you do. You have to do whatever you can to cope with chronic pain, whether anyone else (like people who are fortunate enough to not have to deal with it) understands it or not.
  • CC,
    At our PM residential were did some group meditation and once the laughing had stopped and over the week we could all fell the benefit of doing less. The key as said is trying to fit this into work commitments, I am fortunate to have a job where I can walk about and rest if possible.

Pacing enables me to prioritise what I have to do and when and makes me more ordered in what and how I do these tasks, continuing beyond when any normal person would have stopped is pain in the bank, and that circular strategy of manic activity and immobility as a direct consequence less than productive.

Can I fit all my task into the day perhaps not, I do say no now more than ever and not commit to things that I know will be physically problematic, I have to share my wellness with all that who have reasonable expectation of some, my wife family life, work and my self, I plan for me time.

Not feeling guilty and letting yourself do less is part of a developing process, perhaps I go twice as fast when the time allows, no I have slowed down, I gave myself the gift of time.

Take care and slow down.

John….
  • Thanks everyone for all the replies! You all had some really interesting things to say.

• I just realized the other day that there is no aspect of my life not affected by my pain.

Whether or not to take lie down breaks is becoming less & less of an optional thing.
  • Sassy,
    The difficulty is trying to fit that overall strategy into our daily routing, although we rest in anticipation of being able to do more as a direct consequence the longevity of our wellness has a limited shelf life and we become disappointed that even in resting we are unable to function as expected. It may be impossible to compress our healthy old existence into our current capability where even the things we need to do have to be omitted; overall we are mandated to slow down through imposition.

Even with efficient pacing my daily capability is foreshortened and extending beyond those daily limits impact on the next days function, saying no does become easier with practice and I do try to explain the reasons why. Like ripples in water, pain restrictions impact on all family members as they too adapt to our limited functionality. Managing and coping with pain is life changing and requires considerable effort to keep positive most of the time.

Take care.

John.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.