Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

daily rest periods for warding off lower back pain?

Comments

• Lying down as often as you feel the need is vital, as far as I'm concerned. You will know when!

I get that way with my neck-just have to rest it for a short time.
    Being out all day is a real trial. I get through but can feel the mounting need to rest. I get a bit overwrought eventually and feel ill.

Try putting a rolled up hand towel or similar, not too high, just under the small of your back as you rest. This will help to push up slightly and put the curve back in the lower spine.
    Try also some single leg knee raisers-these help to stretch the associated muscles and generally loosen up the lower back.
  • Lying down as often as you feel the need is vital, as far as I'm concerned. You will know when!

I get that way with my neck-just have to rest it for a short time.
    Being out all day is a real trial. I get through but can feel the mounting need to rest. I get a bit overwrought eventually and feel ill.

Try putting a rolled up hand towel or similar, not too high, just under the small of your back as you rest. This will help to push up slightly and put the curve back in the lower spine.
    Try also some single bent leg knee raisers-these help to stretch the associated muscles and generally loosen up the lower back.
  • advertisement
  • That is the ONLY way I get through my life any more ;)

Seriously I work fora bit like maybe 1/2 hr then rest for 5 to 10 minutes, work again - rest again, and so forth. Working & resting time depends on pain levels.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I credit rest breaks as a large factor in my recovery after about 12 or 13 weeks, right up there with the epidural blocks. I have interrupted my work day (usually at lunch time, or after all the clients have been seen) with lying down or stretching sessions and had a floor pad folded in my office for this purpose. I no longer need to do this, but I feel that if I did not take the time to do this, not only was it uncomfortable, but the pain intensification was a sign something damaging might be going. I think it's therapeutic; try to integrate it into your daily activities and as said above, you will know when you need to lie down.
  • is the only thing that works for me, i cannott sit, walk, stand for long, laying down takes the loading off my spine probs

yes, it sucks and not very practical, but its the only thing which helps

am really sick of the long periods of having to do this, i sure hope the surgery works

even after surgery, i think in my case i will need frequent laying down breaks to take the load off my spine due to the extensive damage
    flower
  • advertisement
  • It's amazing how many people are going thru this.

Now I realize how lucky I really am having no kids to care for & being able to work from home.

As my pain gets worse, I'm becoming ever more self protective. I've always been one to push past my pain, but I'm getting away from that now & taking my rest breaks as I need them.

My inclination is to force myself to keep at it until all of my work is completed & then "allow" myself the "luxury" of taking care of myself.

I'm getting better about taking breaks during the work day.
  • sassy411 said:
    It's amazing how many people are going thru this.

Now I realize how lucky I really am having no kids to care for & being able to work from home.

As my pain gets worse, I'm becoming ever more self protective. I've always been one to push past my pain, but I'm getting away from that now & taking my rest breaks as I need them.

My inclination is to force myself to keep at it until all of my work is completed & then "allow" myself the "luxury" of taking care of myself.

I'm getting better about taking breaks during the work day.
    Sounds alot like me Sassy. Though I am even more fortunate that my job allows me to work from home AND I work on a laptop so I can do that while lying down so I'm working and resting at the same time. My breaks are 'stretch breaks' when I get up and move around and stretch to keep from seizing up completely. I used to be a very busy person, always doing something and never stopping. I've learned to let it all go now and just deal with the absolute necessities and let others help with everything else.
  • A few years after my divorce there came a time when I was able to buy all new furniture for myself and my sons. They were relatively young at the time and I made a rule that there would be no slacking or laying on the couch--ever. Of course I made allowances when one of them were sick or something, but as a rule, we never layed on the couch. I always felt that if you lay down you stay down, and don't know where or why I picked that up, but it became a habit and old habits-even if they are outdated or become bad for some of us, can die hard. I still feel weird when I see anyone laying on a couch, or if I lay down during the day I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I have hurt myself and made myself worse over the years because of my stubborness, and even though I do take many breaks throughout the days and don't feel like I have a choice, I feel incredibly guilty.

I know that I need to talk to someone about my issues, but I've asked my Dr for a referral and she hasn't given me one.

I think it's great that those of you who know you need a break, when to do it, and just listen to your body are doing what you have to do-especially those who can do this without guilt involved. I'm going to try to let go of the guilt, and maybe be a little more productive with my time.
  • I'm only recently getting to the point that I can lie down for a few minutes during the day with only minimal guilt.

The pain finally got to the point that it won't tolerate being ignored anymore.

I do, however, still keep pushing at my desk until the work I alloted for the day is completed, no matter how much screaming my back is doing.

Those messages really seep into our brains, don't they. Sadly enough, the pain eventually can get to the point where nothing else matters but stealing a few moments of a little relief.

I'm certainly never pain free at any time during the day, but I really have to have my lying down on my tummy breaks now. It's the only thing that works. I watch TV that way before I go to sleep.

Mildly OT--has anyone tried one of those inflatable beds they sell on TV? Maybe that can provide more options for taking breaks than just the bed?
  • not because I want to, only because it was the only way I could stand it. But, it has also helped me to learn how to recover from surgery, I learned to LISTEN to my back. It tells you what you need to do. I had frequent breaks, and times where it was all I could do. But, turn the clock back 3 months ago. Couldnt travel more than 1 hour and was hurting bad. Couldnt stand long to cook or anything. Clock forward to now, 8 weeks post surgery, Life is Good! Not perfect yet, but I went shopping for the day with my Mom. Drove an hour there and back and didnt have to take a pain meds for 6 1/2 hours which walking and driving has never happened since I hurt my back.
    Listen to your body, whether you are hurting, healing or dealing with it. Your body tells you what it needs, and by listening to it, you can avoid flares sometimes, and hopefully keep more comfortable. Guilt should never enter into it. You hurt, you rest. You are more productive when you are not almost in tears from pain. Take it from someone who has 5 years experience. Take care of you, no one else knows how you are feeling, but you! Love and hopefully better days ahead!!!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.