Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

MY PAIN MEDS POST SPINAL FUSION SURGERY W/ BROKEN SCREW

spinalhate7sspinalhate7 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Pain Management
I HAD SPINAL FUSIN SURGERY IN LUMBAR L3-5.AMOST 1 YR POST SURGERY,I HAVE MORE PAIN IN LOW BACK THEN PRE SURGERY,DOCS THINK BROKEN SCREW CAUSING MIS-ALIGENNT BLA BLA.I CURRENLTY TAKING 4 TABS OF 10MG/35 PERCOCET,30 MG/DAY METHADONE,DIAZAPAM FOR MUSCLE SPASMS AND NEURONTIN,NEURONTIN IS ACTUALLY A GREAT NERVE PAIN DRUG.IT NOT ONLY HELPS W/PAON,BUT CALMS MY NERVES.I JUST SWITCHED TO THE PERCOCET I WAS ON NORCO (UP TO 6 PILLS A DAY).THE METHADONE I WISH I COULD GET OFF CAUSE IT DOESNT REALY KIL THE PAIN ON ONLY 30 MG COMPARED TO WHEN I WAS ON SAY 100 MG PER DAY.MY QUESTION IS,MY PAIN MNGMNT DR WANTS TO TRY THE 10 10/35 PERCOCET FOR A MONTH OR 2 AND I STOPPED NORCO REPLACED BY PERCS OBVIOUSLY.I REQUESTED THAT IF THW PERCOCET DID NOT WORK THEN I WNATED TO GO BACK TO NORCO AND GET SOMETHNG REAL STRONG LIKE DILAUDID OR MSIR MORPHINE INSTANT RELEASE.HE SAID LETS TRY PERCS FIRST.THE PERCOCET ACTUALLY IS WORKING ALOT BETTER THEN NORCO OF COARSE BUT IT WEARS OFF PRETTY QUICK.THE NORCO SEEMED TO LAST LONGER.SOUNDS ODD I NOW BUT I KNOW MY BODY.SHOULD I MAYBE GO UP TO 6 PERCOCET A DAY OR GO ABCK TO NORCO AND GET THE MORPHINE IR OR DILAUDID.LET ME REMIND YOU,THIS BROKEN SCREW MIS-ALIGMENT DEAL IS CAUSING ME TO BE ON A SCALE OF 1-10 PAIN SCALE,4-7,I AM ALWAYS ATLIKE 9 AT LEAST.WITH MEDS JUST POPPED 30MINS LATERIT DROPS TO LIKE A 6-7? I WILL BE ON THESE STRONG DRUGS FOR YEARS TO COME AGREES MY PAIN DOC CAUSE I GOT SEVERAL NAJOR SURGERIES COMIN ONCE I GET INS.I AM CURRENTLY GOING THRU THE SSI DISABILTY LOOP WITH A VERY RENOUND LAWYER.HE SAYS I WILL GET IT,BUT ITS TAKING A WHILE.I ALSO HAVE SEVRAL MENTAL AILMENTS SO BACK TO WORK IS LIKE OUTTA QUESTION,TOOOO MUCH PAIN,CANNOT WORK IN CONDITION I AM IN.ANYWAYS,ANY IDEAS ON MEDS.NORCO AND MSIR,OR DILAUDID OR UP A COUPLE TABS ON THE PERCOCET?HELPTX
SPINEHATER...
advertisement

Comments

• First, for future posts, please don't type in all caps. Not only is it difficult to read and many members will just pass it up, but many consider it to be shouting in internet language.

Regarding your question on your medications, only you and your doctor can determine which med, what dose, and how often. It does sound like you have a long road ahead.

Is there no way to remove the broken screw?
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I agree that the medication question is going to have to be something you and your Dr. come to an understanding about, however, I doubt if your Dr is going to Rx Norco and MSIR, both of which are IR medications and can be considered as BT medications to some prescribing Drs treating the long time CPP.

Though you may have been on 100mg of methodone a day, in PM 30mg in increments can actually be a better way to help manage pain, as opposed to a large once a day dose.

I understand what you mean with the Norco seeming to last longer, though the percocet does seem to be stronger and help the pain better, but not last as long. I used to take hydrocodone (6 a day) was changed to percocet (4 a day), and found this same thing to be the case with me. My PMD changed my Rx to 5 a day, and even though they worked better, I was still waking up that one time in the night, my body missing that dose. I struggled through by taking an ambian before going to sleep, but that didn't always work. My point here is that yeah, even though the percocet were stronger, they never seemed to last as long as the Norco. In my case, and possibly yours too... though I am only speculating, an ER medication would probably have been beneficial, with an IR medication for BT pain. I was never offered an ER medication and I think it might have something to do with my insurance. I never question what my Dr(s) offer me as far as pain medication go (opiate/oid types), so once again I am only speculating.

You have some type of PM at present and are fortunate enough that you don't have to suffer through hard labor, making it possible to enable your medications by taking it easier than many CP patients. Hopefully you and your Dr can find ways to manage your pain carefully with your upcoming surgeries, and not raising your tolerance too much in the interim. Good luck on your disability.
  • advertisement