Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Heel pain.. something new

backache99backache99 Posts: 1,314
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:51 AM in Chronic Pain
as if i haven't enough to worry about ,,i now get heel pain in my right leg {that's the one i always have problems with } its not the worst pain i have had but its not good .any ideas? could this be something to do with my ever crumbling lower spine ...my last MRI said that L4/L4 AND S 1 have collapsed into each other ..the MRI 6 months ago said that L4;L5 were only partially collapsed ..so from that one can deduce that things are getting worse ..i was just wondering if there was a nerve that controls the heel in the damaged area of my spine ..anyone ??
t
1997 laminectomy
2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
advertisement

Comments

• That's L4-L5 - down the side of the leg and to the heel. I have this pain, and I jokingly call it my "snake bite" because - I guess I just imagine it's like a little snake bit my heel. Actually - it was the one thing that my epidural steroid injection helped me with - haven't had it for months. But my real pain is in my back - I don't have bad sciatic/radiating pain. My right foot will feel kind of swollen and burning at the end of the day sometimes, and I just wrap the icepack around it - numb it a bit.
  • It could be bone spurs, they are quite common in the heel area and they do cause pain. A simple X-ray will show them if this is the case.
  • advertisement
  • I have horrible heel pain in both heels from my back injury. I would get it check to see what is happening.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • The sciatic nerve runs down your leg and through your heel out into your foot. Could be from your lower spine, could be bone spurs. Most likely from your back.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Tony,

If you look at the Dermatome map, the heel is L5, the outside side of your heal is S1, and if inside S2. With your describing L4/L5/S1, my money would be 'bet on back' for the cause.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • i can trace the pain from my right hand side of my lower back through my right but cheek down my thigh {rear not front} then it misses my knee then the signal is picked up again at my ankle /toes and heel .i can actually feel it and if i push along the route it make my feel sick {the route being from lower back all the way down to my heel } its not the worst pain that i have had but its making walking very painful and accentuating my limp and if i am showering and have to move my weight from one leg to the other the pain makes me go hot and nearly pass out the only time its not too bad is when i am reclining and when there is no weight on it ...saying that ...even if i move i can feel the heel pain ..i think that all the damage in my lower back is causing more problems .by the time i get on the table in hospital i dread to think what more damaged has been done .....another analogy ..in my mind is ..if you drove a car with a grinding noise coming from a wheel bearing and did not get it fixed by the time you did get it fixed there's a good chance that more damage would be done to your car ..and i feel like that's what going to happen to me .{my car is fine by the way} i feel that the longer i go untreated the worse things will be when i do eventually get seen too and my recover time will be longer ..but that doesn't seem to bother anyone other than me and my family doctor ...talk about the caring nation !
    t
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • Sorry Tony. I know my back issues are changing, and so is my neck (neck is priority), and that is a sucky feeling for sure. Is there any chance you can advise your contact person to advise them of the changes? One would hope that if they see progression, you would be moved up? Sorry, I'm in the US as you know, so I don't know the dynamics of your health care system.

Brenda
  • p155 the consultant off anymore than i already have done my doctor and i have ..over the last few months phoned and written but all is does is get the consultant and his crew annoyed ..the last letter that i received was rather curt telling me to lay off and wait until i am called in ...not those words ..but that was the general gist of it
    they are over run with work and with all the cut backs are making things worse.so can't do anything about my situation .they just don't care i am just a long number on a computer in a big office and when my number comes up ...then and only then i will be seen and operated on ..my worry is that i will have deteriorated and the operation will be harder to do and longer to recover from .and i will need to be assessed so that's another discography/MRI/CAT and bloods all because the tests that they did nearly 6 months ago wont be accurate ,,so even more trips to the hospital ..i don't know why they got me in and did all the pre op tests if they had no intention of operating on me within a few weeks rather than months
    its just window dressing !!

t
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • I'm so sorry that you're experiencing new symptoms now (heel pain), you don't need any more pain to deal with right now. I can really understand your concerns that by the time you do get called for surgery, you'll have to undergo all the routine tests all over again. I also feel your total frustration and anger about why you've had to go through all the pre-op tests 6 months ago when the surgery isn't expected to take place for quite a while yet.

I wish I could offer you a solution or alternative ways of 'getting around the system' but I know you've been there, tried that, and I feel so frustrated on your behalf. It makes me wanna scream and shake them by the throats and ask them what on earth they're playing at? I know it's not their fault. They are only working to strict schedules and limited resources like everyone else in the NHS. It totally sucks!

After all the different opinions you have sought over the years, it must be so hard to place your life in someone else's hands and to feel that your whole future [good] health is down to one surgeon and his team and I understand how you must be feeling so let down by 'the NHS system' right now. I just wanted to let you know that I would feel exactly the same as you - I'm rooting for you and know alot of people on SH are too. HANG IN THERE!!!

Have you told your GP about the new symptoms?

SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Tony,

I guess if one were to look at patients as faceless, and as a number, it makes sense. Not that I think it is fair, but it makes sense. I can never 'feel' your pain specifically, but I do know the pain levels I've been at where I was practically dragging my surgeon to the OR. I have a feeling you've been in that position for quite some time. Fingers crossed the OR will be sooner not later!!

Brenda
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.