Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ACDF ON C4, C5 AND C6 IN SEPTEMBER 2010

WonderboytwiceWWonderboytwice Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I saw my Spinal Surgeon on 11th March 2011 to get results of MRI Scan on full spine and CT Scan of lower spine which were done on 4th March 2011. My problems have been loss of balance and difficulty in walking any distance. He has referred me to a Neurologist as he suspects I may have the onset of Parkinsons because I also have tremors associated with this illness. I feel absolutely gutted!! In addition the Spinal Surgeon is going to make an incision at bottom of spine and is going to use high powered laser to burn out nerve endings.

Previous operations include ACDF in September 2010 - PLIF plus rebuild in December 2008 - Rt Knee replacement in 1998 but incorrectly done so Revision carried out in January 2000 - Lt Knee replacement in July 2006.
advertisement

Comments

• I'm so sorry to hear that you might have Parkinson's. How do they make a definitive diagnosis for that?

Seems to me that you've been through your share of problems and it saddens me to think this might be something that has afflicted you.

I'm also sorry about the nerve burn - is this a standard RFA? Are you going to be sedated?

Know that I'm thinking of you, my friend, and please, please keep us updated.

Cathie
  • Wonderboytwice said:
    I saw my Spinal Surgeon on 11th March 2011 to get results of MRI Scan on full spine and CT Scan of lower spine which were done on 4th March 2011. My problems have been loss of balance and difficulty in walking any distance. He has referred me to a Neurologist as he suspects I may have the onset of Parkinsons because I also have tremors associated with this illness. I feel absolutely gutted!! In addition the Spinal Surgeon is going to make an incision at bottom of spine and is going to use high powered laser to burn out nerve endings.

Previous operations include ACDF in September 2010 - PLIF plus rebuild in December 2008 - Rt Knee replacement in 1998 but incorrectly done so Revision carried out in January 2000 - Lt Knee replacement in July 2006.
  • advertisement
  • =D> Great news for I have just been given the all clear and do not have Parkinsons. Now going for regular physio for stiff neck after ACDF done in September 2010. Brilliant weather here in UK, warmer than Mediterranean so I feel great today!! Have to now get small incision at bottom of spine when Spinal Surgeon will then 'kill off' nerve ends with high powered laser which I hope will be the end of my spinal operations. Still got some back pain but can put up with it now.
  • I'm so happy for you that Parkinson's is not the diagnosis. I know you must be relieved about that. Good luck with your upcoming procedure.
  • O:)Saw my Spinal Surgeon on 1st July 2011 and he has now informed me that there seems to be something wrong in the middle of my spine i.e. between ACDF Operation and PLIF Operation. I have therefore to go for urgent scan with tracer of complete spine then see Spinal Surgeon 2 weeks after when he will tell me what my 3rd Spinal operation will comprise. Pain I am getting most severe is from between shoulder blades upwards and downwards also my neck is very painful, worse than before the ACDF operation. Just when I thought I was getting better all this pain returns. Feel like giving up!!

Previous ops: Right knee replacement 1998 then revised in 2000 due to faulty operation. Left knee replaced in 2006. PLIF + rebuild in 2008. ACDF to C4/5/6 IN 2010.
  • advertisement

• So sorry that it seems you have more problems in your spine.
    Some of us spineys just seem to have degeneration throughout our spines.

Please let us know what diagnosis you get and what they suggest to help you. Thoracic spine surgery is not done unless there is no other option.

Do I remember correctly that you are in the UK?
    If you are, they are certainly hurrying up to investigate your problems.

I had an chest x-ray on Thursday to view why I have some protruding ribs. The radiologist said that she thought I would be sent back for more x-rays. I wonder what she saw! I know that I have herniated discs and bone spurs in my thoracic spine, and have been getting various symptoms that indicated problems there, but no doctors seemed to listen and investigate them.

I am trying to not overthink what might be causing this.

Hope that you will get some answers soon. :D

• It's so tough that you keep having to go through more and more. Let us know what you hear. Don't give up. It is good that the doctors are taking your pain and issues seriously and are moving quickly to more testing and reviewing with the Spinal Surgeon. Keep at them.

KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
advertisement