Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Chiropractor or Osteopath?

MikeBrombyMMikeBromby Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:51 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic

I have kyphosis in my spine which i have had for 7 years now, (well thats when i first felt pain in my spine) and the pain has been getting worse lately.

Who would be better too see, an osteopath or a chiropractor?

I have been to the doctors who have reffered me to a specialist but can imagine there t be a long wait before this and was hoping to get some pain relief, i am currenty off work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks - Mike


  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,786
    on having my spine manipulated .... I would go with a D.O. without even considering the alternitive. D.O. are fully trained in the "art" of osteopathic manipulation .... D.O.'s have been around since the late 1800's were as D.C.'s are a relatively new kinda licensure.

    D.O.'s are full "doctors" more holistic in their overall approaach but I've never heard a D.O. claim to be able to cure the common cold with manipulation ... I can't say the same for D.C.'s.

    Your spine should have Kyphosis (outward curve) in the thoracic region ... both the cervical and lumbar area's should be lordotic (inward curve).

    What type of doctor referred you to what type of specialist? - and what type of diagnostics have been performed to date??

    Rule number one in medicine is DO NO HARM .... manipulation of the spine prior to appropriate examination, history, physical and a solid diagnosis could break that rule and cause additional complications - injury.

    Did the referring physician make any reccomendations or RX any pain meds or muscle relaxers??

    Sorry so many questions - but these are the things that can assist in moving down the path of least resistance and greatest assistance.


  • Hi there! Boy do I agree with Metalneck! IMHO Chiropactors are charlatans. A DO is a doctor. As a matter of fact, in some states a few years ago, DO's were made MD's. Don't waste your time and money and health--go to a DO. Good luck! Susan
  • advertisement
  • Thankyou for the replies!

    I first decided to get my back looked at 3 and a half years ago now, at this time my regular GP refered me to an osteopath (but i'm not 100% sure).

    I had xrays etc and the specialist didnt tell me a lot, all he said was that he thinks some of the vertabrae in my back havent formed correctly when i was growing and that there was nothing i could do about it! He did nothing to help me, the only thing he did was test my reflexes. I think it all boils down to the fact that it was on the NHS and you can never seem to get anywhere unless you are going private and paying.

    Now that the pain has beome worse ive been looking around on the net and my symptoms seem to point to scheurmanns diasease. I feel if this is the case then i should have been helped or monitored in some way over the 3 years since i saw the specialist.

    My GP didnt recommended anything to me when i saw him yesterday, though he was a totally different doctor than who i normally see.

    Thanks - Mike
  • Hi Mike

    What exactly are you feeling? Be very careful about self diagnosis. First not many doctors like patients who come in and tell them what is wrong. Second it's easy to read about something and make your symptoms match the disease. It happens to all of us to some extent.

    NHS? is that Canada? What did the GP you saw yesterday say? Since you had imaging a few years ago and know that there is some spine irregularity it would seem smart to me to see an orthopedist who specializes in backs.

    Hope you can get to the right doctor soon.
  • Hi Kris,

    I feel pain in the part of my back were the point of kyphosis is, normally its a dull ache that i have most days but the pain started gettin sharper just recently.

    It's just that when i searched for what the specialist had mentioned about the vertabrae it seemed to point to scheurmanns but obviously thers chance that it isnt this unless its diagnosed.

    On the doctors computer screen yesterday he brought up the report from the specialist and i saw that it said 80 degree kyphosis, also that it said lordosis. He himself mentioned a twist in the spine but didn't say a great deal else.

    I am in England and we have NHS.

    Thanks! - Mike

  • advertisement
  • My thought is still that you need to see an orthopedist. You also need to get a complete explanation from the doctor on what is wrong. As Metal said there is lordosis and kyphosis in different parts of the spine and to different degrees. "loss" of either is not normal and can signal a problem. But sometimes the symptoms don't equal the problem or vice versa.

    After 3+ years and with new pain it's probably time for some new images. Again something a specialist would decide.

    Did the GP give you any direction? Or any medication or therapies? I know for my cervical loss of lordosis I often need muscle relaxants. The muscles in the area tend to get strained as they try to compensate.
  • Ok i will look into seeing an orthopedist.

    The GP just gave me a referal to hand into the reception and i just suppose i wait for an appointment letter to come in the post. He just said to avoid any excess lifting and that was it. My back feels ok everywhere else, it is quite thickly muscled so i think that maybe helps.

  • I just saw your post - I've not been on here for a while, I mostly come here when my back is killing me like it is right now!
    I am in the UK and have suffered thoracic back pain for about 23 years. I first saw my GP when I was 27 and my back troubles were just beginning. Well, I thought they were just beginning. I had x-rays which showed I had Scheurrman's disease when I was a teenager that had caused a slight curve in my spine. I also had a fall when I was about 10 years old and this resulted in a blow to my thoracic area. My GP has atrributed my back pain to this and though I would like an MRI he refuses to refer me as he says it's not really going to tell us anything more than we already know and that even if it did, there is no surgery that can make my back better.
    I saw an osteopath two years ago and I think it did help but I couldn't afford to keep going - £30 for a half hour session was just too much. I had acupuncture earlier this year and though I was sceptical I was desperate and actually, my back really did improve. Three weeks ago though, I carried a heavy shopping bag to my car and set it all off again. So, I am in agony again, having muscle spasms and eating strong painkillers and diclofenac like smarties. Not good. I wish there was something I could help you with but at least you know you're not alone. That's what I like about this site - there is always someone here worse off than yourself and always a sympathetic ear.
Sign In or Register to comment.