Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Wearing high heels, kinda - Owwie

Comments

• Cathie,

I've always been a bit of a "Tom-Boy" and too I went into traditional 'male' line of work for a career. I tried heels once in high school. I remember going to my locker, and I guess I stepped too far ahead? I ended up on the back side of that heel, and down I went into a full blown split!! Needless to say, that was the first and the last with me and high heels.

Later in life I saw they really weren't good for posture, and for sure NOT good if you have spine issues. So none have ever made it to my closet. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    Oh how I wish I could wear high heals again. I cannot tell you how many times I have tried " just this one time", which always ends up as a disaster. The next day full of pain and suffering. I gave them up but not without a fight.lol. I hate to go shoe shopping because there are so many cute shoes with heals and it pi&&es me off I cant wear them. I stay with the tennis shoes and crocs. They are the only ones that dont cause pain the next day
    Susan
  • advertisement
  • I hate shoe shopping too come to think of it. Every time I go I end up in a bad mood-a really bad mood. I'm mad now just thinking about it and I'm wearing slippers. That's it I think, I'm always looking for the best slippers, the prettiest, softest, most comfortable slippers. I even wore slippers on Christmas day, they were new and matched my clothes, but still..

I can't even wear flip-flops or any shoe without a back (heel) because I have no metatarsal heads to grip and hold them on..so yeah, I don't much care for shoe shopping, and every year at this time I start feeling a little jealous of those pretty shoes everone seems to be wearing.
  • I love high heels too. Shoes/boots whatever. I always had trouble with heels because I'm tall and, if I was ever asked for a dance as a teenager, I would smile, say 'yeah', then stand up - only to find I was way taller than the guy - not good.

Since I've had chronic back pain for years now, and after 3 spine operations, I tend to always wear flats nowadays. I've bought MBTs, trainers, dolly shoes - anything to be comfortable, but it's so boring.

I still have my heels as I cannot bear to throw/give them away. In fact, I'm going to treat myself and wear a pair to my niece's wedding in June. I know I'll probably regret it, but I will take a pair of flats just in case - or throw them off entirely if I'm brave enough to get up and dance! There's a thought - I haven't danced for years. I wonder if it will affect my back - I guess I'll find out in June!!
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I can't see the picture, it's just an "x"...
  • advertisement
  • but painful. Dang...did I mention that I love my new painful boots?
  • You can still put the heels on in bed though. You know, with stockings and ...they can still be sexy even if you have to remove them before you can actually walk.... ;)
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,111
    High heels would put me in the hospital, believe me Ive tried to wear them. There are so many cute sandals out for summer all with a heel, makes me sad I cant wear them. Hope you feel better
    Susan
  • I went shopping for a sensible pair of 'flaties' today and there are soooooo many pretty heels...makes me crazy!

Hubby bought me a lovely pair of wedge heels last year for my birthday (even though I knew I shouldn't wear them). I wore them for my birthday meal, and my foot slipped to one side wrenching right down my back.

I was in agony for days - that was probably the worst pain I've had.

How I long to wear heels again....hopefully one day :-(

Hubby is 6ft, son is 5ft 11 and still growing, daughter is catching me up. I am 5ft 4 and hate looking like a child standing next to them!

Argh!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.