Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Herniated disc, just entered 5th month...

Comments

• Thank you, Sandi for these information. Yes, I saw 2 surgeons, at the beginning and after 6 months. At the beginning they sent me to a neurologist for taking medication and recommended to rest and wait. After 6 months I had an appointment to one of the two surgeons and he saw that the dimensions are shrinking, he still recommended me to wait. I insisted to operate me, but he said that I do not have a neurological deficit and if I feel that I made some improvements is better to wait.

Of course, in the first 2 months I tried to do Ultrasound and Tens, Massage and exercises with a physiotherapist. They did not helped me, it seems that the exercises exacerbate the situation. So, I continued walking 3 times a day. At the beginning 10 minutes, after 3 months I could walk 40 minutes and now I walk 50 minutes. Approximately 3 hours a day on streets without bumps.

After 6 months, I tried again PT, but it seems that the exercises are not for me. After 2 days I was in a worse condition. I barely could walk because I had more twinge in my legs, foots and toes. So I stopped doing any exercise. In a week I could walk again "normally".
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 04/20/2014 - 9:03 AM
    If you still have difficulty walking and the symptoms aren't improving, you do have the option of consulting with different surgeons. I would encourage you to at least see a different surgeon to see what their opinion is.
  • advertisement
  • If you still have difficulty walking and the symptoms aren't improving, you do have the option of consulting with different surgeons. I would encourage you to at least see a different surgeon to see what their opinion is.
    Sometimes, when you are
  • I had the discectomy of L4 and L5. I am 3 and a half months post-op. My pain was unbearable for 5 mos. before to the surgery. My most painful sensation was "electric shocks" down my right leg.
    I have no such pain at this point. I do have numbness and swelling of my right foot that I did not have before surgery.
    But, I am walking, bending and getting along much better than before the surgery. I was told that I waited too long (5mos)
    to have surgery and the nerves were likely damaged from the compression. I am 85% better than I was. I am happy with that.
  • Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I would like to ask you if you are able to seat and how long you can seat without hurting your back. And how much weight you can lift? 1 kilo? Seating is very important for me, because I will have to work, I also have an ergonomic desk, but I found difficult to stand many hours. I hope you will be fully recovered in the future.
  • advertisement
  • mellymellymmellymelly Posts: 1
    edited 07/30/2015 - 1:11 AM
    hi there,

i know this is an old post, but i'd like to comment in the hopes that his helps someone out there.
    i suffered from a herniated disc back in november 2013. i'm a teacher and although i'm on my feet all day in thhe classroom, the job requires lots of prep time and marking. that particular month, i had a ton of marking to do and i didn't notice that i would hunch over when i did so. i should also note that i was a very very active person (exercsing 5-6 times a week).

by christmas time, i felt numbness on my right hips. it was so weird. i also felt pain on my upper back and would constantly get headaches because iof it. i ignored it for a whole continuing to exercise rigorously as i normally did. but the numbness continued and the headaches were awful. i finally decided to see a physiotherapist and she diagnosed me to have herniated discs (upper and lower back). it was a combination of many things, but it was primarily caused by terrible posture, prolonged sitting and bad exercise form.

needless to say, it was a scary and depressing time for me. for a few months, i had the "why me?" pity party talk a lot. but then i realized how unproductive that is and started to do things to help improve condition. here's what relally helped:

1. set small goals that you want to achieve. when i started to see a physio., i would have a "short term goal" list that i'd make for myself. i'd put "50% better by the end of the month", get a new hobby, etc.
    2. cut down on very rigorous exercise.
    3. focus more on strength and developing back muscles to push those discs back in
    4. no downward dog positions.
    5. squats, squats, squats!!! but iin good form
    6. butt workouts to increase strength on buttocks
    7. sit properly and walk more often
    8. work out upper back muscles (there are lots of videos on it)

after a while of doing these, i started seeing really good results. i'd still wake up with pain the morning though. until my physio asked me if i slept with one leg raised (creating a sideways triangle)). i've always done his ever since i can remember. but apparently this is a flexion that can keep the disc in a bulging position), so my final tip for you is:

sleep with both legs straight. what i did was i taped my legs together. i know hat sounds strange and creepy, but it made such a difference in my back,

warning before trying anything another member suggests, discuss it with your doctor first. no two individuals or medications conditions are alike. what may be good for one person could be trouble for another.

welcome to spine-health
    please click in link for helpful information!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.