Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Numbness from Surgical Clamp

SpineySSpiney Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been online looking for answers but cannot find anything. Just had Posterior fusion at c4=5, c-56, and t1-2. They used some kind of clamp to hold my head in place. Obviously it was a little invasive as I have scabs and swelling on my head where the clammps were. Anyway, one side of my head feels numb. Is this normal? I just feel awfull all over but hope to recover much quicker. All I want to do is sleep as movement makes me nausseaous. Sorry, just venting. I feel like crap!
advertisement

Comments

• Spiney,

They use various tongs, but on mine they were "Gardner Wells Tongs" and they left a divot on both sides of my head. Mine too bled, and scabbed and I had numbness around the divots for a month or so. Since you were anterior and posterior, they might have used different tongs. They are screwed to your head, and weights are attached to hold your head in a specific position so they can access the level they need. Hope that helps.

When my scars healed, the divots remained as dimples...

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I had some swelling on my head from whatever they use to hold the head in place. It's also common if face down during long surgery to have swollen eyes and even bloodshot eyes. I can't recall if there was numbness but I suppose it's not out of the question since they might have pinched a nerve. Everyday feel the area and see if the area of numbness is decreasing. If it is, even slowly, you are moving in the right direction.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • advertisement